Radeon pre-4999 Unsupported. (Very few WUs left)

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Only 1 WU per day for Radeon 4xxx?

Postby De Berghut » Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 pm

bruce wrote:One SMP client with (say, 4 or 6 or 8 threads) will use all the SSE resources your i7 has on a single WU. Running two SMP clients will spread those resources across two different WU and each one will run at about half the speed it might have run. Both results will be delayed and the bonus awarded to each one will be much lower than if all the resources had been devoted to a single WU.

Hi Bruce, didn't he have an E8600? ;)
Computers never do what you want them to, only what you tell them to do...
De Berghut

Postby GreyWhiskers » Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 am

Just picked up a Project: 4756 (Run 0, Clone 971, Gen 190) after over 100 unsuccessful assignment attempts - 43 hours downtime.

There's still life there yet!! :eo :eo
GreyWhiskers

Postby domboy » Thu May 17, 2012 12:51 pm

GreyWhiskers wrote:Well, it's like the zombie that will never die.

Finished previous WU, then 14 hours knocking on the door, and now a Project: 4724 (Run 8, Clone 316, Gen 122) just downloaded.

I received the PCI non-express GT430 card - I'll see about installing it this afternoon - maybe in tandem with the ATI HD4670 AGP. It has a massive heat sink covering the entire the bottom side of the board, and no fans.

Are you talking about the ZOTAC ZT-40605-10L GeForce GT 430 PCI card? I got one of those too, great for old AGP and PCI systems (latter is my case), and it does pretty darn well at folding. The PCI bus doesn't seem to be a bottleneck when it comes to folding that I can tell... GPU runs at 100%...
Watch the temps on the GPU though! GPU-Z was showing some pretty high temps when I first started folding with it, so I added a fan inside my case to blow air at its heatsink as I was worried it was going to fry itself... .
domboy

Postby exit151 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:25 am

Keep up the 4xxx chatter and updates! I think I missed out on that last one - Unless it snagged it, processed it and returned it before I noticed :( lol..

As far as the talk on SMP.. When I was setting up my Fedora box, I read into that a lot - Mind you it was about 2 years ago. From what I recall, as everyone (mostly) is saying, you don't want to run SMP / 2 CPU clients in your case. My findings were that SMP is 'strictly' for multi-CPU systems. As in the case of my Fedora rig, which runs 2 Xeon CPU's. A dual/Quad/Hex core solo CPU will not reap any benefit from using SMP. That said, the info is at least 2 years old, and was written before any Intel i series or latest AMD's were out, as well as before the newer 7 series client, so that information may no longer be valid, but it does seem to match with what the others are posting :)
exit151

Postby bruce » Sun May 20, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't remember anything like that, but maybe you're remembering the caution about HyperThreading.

It's possible to install SMP on hardware like the old P4 which has a SINGLE CPU but also has HyperThreading so it simulates two CPUs by sharing the resources. You don't want to run SMP on that type of hardware. Some more recent CPUs like many Atom-based hardware are similar. Typically they're denoted a 1C/2T meaning Single core/Dual thread. Except for that exclusion I recommend SMP on all mufti-processor chips.
bruce

Postby De Berghut » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Guys, i really think the end is near, a few weeks ago i still got lucky every once in a while, but lately it's flat-line all way long... :cry:
I just can't help the feeling i'm not willing the just "dump" my still perfectly good working radeon hd 4870 :cry: we had such good times, it would just feel as an enormous waste of resources :( I just had to cry it out loud, when the heart is full.. ;)
The site admin's wouldn't have any new news on this issue? 0:)
De Berghut

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:02 pm

A site admin? Who me?

I just have the news that support will be discontinued some time after Sept 1, 2011
bruce

Postby GreyWhiskers » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 pm

GreyWhiskers wrote:I received the PCI non-express GT430 card - I'll see about installing it this afternoon - maybe in tandem with the ATI HD4670 AGP. It has a massive heat sink covering the entire the bottom side of the board, and no fans.

After going a long time without any work for my ATI 4670 AGP card, I finally installed the GT430 card, and have a week's worth of folding behind it.

- It is a good upgrade to the old motherboard - old enough so it doesn't have any PCI-Express slots, just plain PCI. I thought the PCI bus would be a significant performance bottleneck, but apparantly not for folding.
- To my surprise, at its stock clocks of 700 MHz, it is getting (with 96 Cuda cores) about 3100 PPD on P8010 WUs. This compares with less than 1000 ppd the Core 11 WUs were getting.

So, no regrets in replacing the old ATI card that had been folding for two years.

Interestingly enough, I often have all three of my GPUs running 8010 WUs. At the moment, I am seeing:
- Project: 8010 (Run 0, Clone 1598, Gen 25) TPF 2:44, 13,233 ppd: GTX560Ti with 384 CUDA cores, overclocked to 900 MHz
- Project: 8010 (Run 0, Clone 1069, Gen 17) TPF: 5:57, 6075 ppd: GTX560M with 192 CUDA cores - laptop with half the CUDA cores than the 560Ti, underclocked to 700 MHz, and with the FAH_GPU_IDLE environment variable set to 30. All to manage heat on the laptop.
- Project: 8010 (Run 0, Clone 1683, Gen 37) TPF 11:34, 3125 ppd: GT430 with 96 CUDA cores- no fan - standard PCI bus - not PCI Express - 96 CUDA cores. Stock 700 MHz clock.
GreyWhiskers

Postby domboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm

GreyWhiskers wrote:After going a long time without any work for my ATI 4670 AGP card, I finally installed the GT430 card, and have a week's worth of folding behind it.

- It is a good upgrade to the old motherboard - old enough so it doesn't have any PCI-Express slots, just plain PCI. I thought the PCI bus would be a significant performance bottleneck, but apparantly not for folding.
- To my surprise, at its stock clocks of 700 MHz, it is getting (with 96 Cuda cores) about 3100 PPD on P8010 WUs. This compares with less than 1000 ppd the Core 11 WUs were getting.

So, no regrets in replacing the old ATI card that had been folding for two years.

Yeah, mine also does not appear to be bottle-necked by the PCI bus either. GPU utilization at or near 100%. I don't have a PCI-Express 430GT to compare it against, so I can't be 100% sure, but it's a good little chap at folding.

I sold my 4850 (single-slot cooler) card last summer I think it was, so now I'm really glad I did. It is sad that these 4xxx cards are no longer supported, but at least support is being officially dropped instead of the alternative that new WU come out that they can no longer meet deadlines for. I've had that happen with some of my older smaller ATI cards, 2400, 3450, etc. could no longer meet deadlines when the 511 point WUs came out (my 3300IGP just barely managed to finish in time). That is frustrating to say the least, as those cards were still officially supported. This way is much cleaner.
domboy

Postby De Berghut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm

bruce wrote:A site admin? Who me?

I just have the news that support will be discontinued some time after Sept 1, 2011

Yes, why not you? ;)
i read the same news around the time it was announced, but i was hoping for me to have maybe "missed" something, so the support would be discontinued officially and final.. Sometimes doubt is worse than bad news ;)

I guess i'll just keep on hoping to catch that one last WU, i don't have any budget for upgrades now :(
De Berghut

Postby 7im » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm

By not folding on your GPU, in a few months time, the money you save on your electric bill will pay for a new GT 430, PCI or PCIe version. 3-4K PPD. Even overclocks decently for more PPD. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 am

De Berghut wrote:
bruce wrote:A site admin? Who me?

Yes, why not you? ;)
i read the same news around the time it was announced, but i was hoping for me to have maybe "missed" something, so the support would be discontinued officially and final.. Sometimes doubt is worse than bad news ;)

I guess i'll just keep on hoping to catch that one last WU. :(

The Pande Group generates WUs that need to be finished. They estimated the earliest date that they might run out of WUs for the active projects. Most people want to know the minimum time they have to plan for their upgrade and would be upset if the server ran out of work BEFORE the announced date. The announcement does say after Sept 1 2011
bruce

Re: No more W/Us for Radeon 4xxx

Postby PantherX » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 am

De Berghut wrote:...I've been hoping they'd find a way to using the slight present openCL on for example my HD4870, but I guess it's been faint hope ;)...
During the early development stages, running FahCore_16 on HD 4000 Series produced a PPD that was worst than the PPD of FahCore_11 hence it was useless to take this any further... Sorry!
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby De Berghut » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

PantherX wrote:During the early development stages, running FahCore_16 on HD 4000 Series produced a PPD that was worst than the PPD of FahCore_11 hence it was useless to take this any further... Sorry!

Don't be sorry, if it's for the best it's for the best you know :) I'll now just wait for my budget to improve, i don't do much of folding anyway now in summer: it's already warm enough, don't need the extra heating. :biggrin: I'll just have to bear it i guess, and after all, i'm not the only one ;)

7im wrote:By not folding on your GPU, in a few months time, the money you save on your electric bill will pay for a new GT 430, PCI or PCIe version. 3-4K PPD. Even overclocks decently for more PPD. ;)

I think I'd need to save quite a bit of electricity to save for a new one: it's not only the card, I still have my "majestic" cooling, which i'm afraid won't fit the new Nvidia cards :( And I really enjoy the complete silence from my card-cooling o:) But I'll give it some time

Oh btw: on which server is it exactly i can see if there are still WU's being produced at the server status?
De Berghut

Postby Joe_H » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:21 pm

De Berghut wrote:Oh btw: on which server is it exactly i can see if there are still WU's being produced at the server status?

Based on the projects people have mentioned still getting on their 4000 series cards, 171.64.65.103 is one that may still have WU's on occasion. Don't know if that is the only one, I have seen only a few project numbers actually mentioned in postings about getting work after a long delay.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ATI specific issues