Mobility Radeon HD 5430 bad work unit

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Mobility Radeon HD 5430 bad work unit

Postby 7im » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

The CPU usage slider no longer applies to any active projects so it will be removed on a future version.

Setting the number of CPU cores to use, higher or lower, works much better.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Joe_H » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm

While not designed for use with current cores, the CPU percentage setting does affect one thread. That has a non-linear and not very predictable effect on CPU usage and throughput.

Further information on the slider settings is available from the V7 Intermediate FAQ. To use your system as an example, Light will use half of the cores which is 2. Medium uses one less than available or 3, and Full will use all 4.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Curious » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am

Thank you everybody for your responses! This is a valiant community.
Curious

Postby Curious » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:59 am

Trying to partecipate in a project on BOINC to make my GPU working on something i've encountered a message which informed me my ATI can't elaborate the project because it lacks double precision math. May this be the cause for having a bad work unit error message with every GPU WU in F@H?
Curious

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:19 am

Curious wrote:Trying to partecipate in a project on BOINC to make my GPU working on something i've encountered a message which informed me my ATI can't elaborate the project because it lacks double precision math. May this be the cause for having a bad work unit error message with every GPU WU in F@H?

No, I don't think so. Folding@home performs single-precision calculations.

If you'd like though, you can test your GPU's single- and double-precision capabilities using http://www.fahbench.com/
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Curious » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Thank you for the response.

I've tried to benchmark the CPU first, with both Explicit and Implicit options enabled but while performing the Explicit benchmark (2 %) the program crashed, so i've started a new benchmark with only Implicit option enabled and it's working.

When it will be done, i'll test the GPU too.

Could you please explain me what are the meanings of the options Explicit, Implicit and Verify Accuracy?
Curious

Postby PantherX » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Explicit -> The water molecules in the solution are modeled so that each water molecule can have its own interaction with other molecules
Implicit -> The water molecules in the solution are modeled so that they are a single medium and not individual.
Verify Accuracy -> Best guess is that the data processed by the GPU is cross-checked by the CPU to ensure that the data is valid.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Curious » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Thank you!

I must have read something like that it before in some forum's pages because i've already heard about this two chances.

Unfortunately, testing the GPU both with only Explicit and with only Implicit option enabled the driver soon crashed after starting the benckmark (no problems during previuous steps like creating context and creating reference context). Then was shown "comparing forces and energy" for a while: after mone than one hour i've decided to cut it off because GPU Z didn't report any GPU load neither Windows Task Manager report any CPU load. Was i wrong? Was F@H Benchmarch working even without any processor load beeing reported for both GPU and CPU?

Testing the CPU instead resulted in a crash soon after starting the benchmark with only Explicit option enabled. With only Implicit option enabled it tooks four hours of full cpu load to put out the message NaNs detected in positions.0 0. Surfing the web i've found out a little about it: it should be related to the kernel error reported in my logs, but i couldn't find out more. I didn't tried the option Verify accuracy and Stress Test. Neither Double Precision because i figured out it isn't available in my GPU.

Latest ATI driver installed, Catalyst 13.9.
Curious

Postby PantherX » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:40 pm

There were reports that a version of the AMD drivers caused issues for FAHBench (viewtopic.php?p=242141#p242141) but that was fixed in a beta release (viewtopic.php?p=249993#p249993). Not sure when that will make it to the WHQL ones.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Curious » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 am

I've tried to install it but obviously it was impossible: every time i followed the procedure found in the AMD site for updating drivers i've encounterd a Blue Screen of Death; it was all a waste of time. I really hate this AMD crap! It's unacceptable a device, although a low cost one, gives only problems when you try to perform some essential action like driver upgrade (or downgrade, i've found rhe same issue with all the older driver versions i've tried). AMD will not recive a penny from me anymore, hell!
Curious

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It seems that there might be not much we can do unless the drivers are properly installed.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Curious » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 am

Did the same things this morning and unexplainably it worked. I had stopped antivirus yesterday too so it wasn't it ths cause of BSODs. Maybe the trick has been running the installer with administrative privilege.

I've installed 13.11 mobility beta v.1 and run test for gpu with Explicit only enabled: soon after entered Benchmarking step the test endend with the message about kernel reported in first post.
Then i run test for gpu with Implicit only enabled: it reached Benchmarking step and gpu started working but soon the screen freezed then a driver crash message popped up from system tray; Benchmarking step proceeded but without any load for gpu, with low core and memory frequency and little memory usage according to Gpu Z and no loads for cpu according to Cpu Z. It hasn't finished yet, and i've launched it about two hours ago. Does this mean i can quit it because it isn't working?
More, should i try later versions of beta driver (v6, v7, v8, v9.2)?

Do someone know something about the error? The error message is:
Error invoking kernel execFFT: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-55)

I'm under Win 7 SP 1. In another topic of the forum a guy (who was looking for help about the same error message with a graphics card of the same family, but mounted in a desktop pc) has been asked if his operavite system is patched. What does this mean?
Curious

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Nearly all driver installations needs administrative privileges to successfully make changes to the operating system.

I can't recommend the version of Beta Driver to install since I don't use Beta Drivers nor I have an AMD GPU. Having said that, you could try the latest since that would ensure that it is hopefully more stable and contains more bug fixes than the previous beta version.

A quick search indicates that the cl... error series are openMM to openCL computational errors (http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/1962122).

When an operating system is patched, it means that all important updates (and also recommended/optional ones if you want) in Windows Updates are installed on your system. Windows updates have been released on the second Tuesday of each month.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Curious » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Latest mobility beta driver (13.11 v9.2) didn't solved the crash with FAH bench's Implicit option on my Mobility HD 5430. It seems low end video cards don't get advantage of newest driver unlike higher end cards. Another user found out this with a similar video card on a desktop pc (viewtopic.php?f=81&t=25301).

I've read the link you provided and tried to lower the clocks (memory and core) of the video card (a user wrote he solved the problem this way) but this didn't solved the crash problem with implicit option neither the kernel problem with explicit option.

Thanks for the explanation!
Last edited by Curious on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Curious

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for informing us. I guess that maybe the fix isn't fully implemented, thus, you still have the issue. Let's hope that the next WHQL release from AMD fixes this issue.
PantherX
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to ATI specific issues