Mobility Radeon HD 5430 bad work unit

Moderators: mhouston, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Mobility Radeon HD 5430 bad work unit

Postby Curious » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I forgot to try v9.4.
I've tested a minute ago and not even this version resolved the issuees.
Curious

Postby Curious » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 am

Neither Catalyst Mobility 13.11 beta v 9.5 drivers solve the issues: crash during Implicit test and error -55 during Explicit test.

Probably this video card is no longer receiving attention from driver developers.
Curious

Postby 7im » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Either that, or it lacked certain features from the start, and no driver update can fix that.

By certain features, I mean that a low power chip (7w TDP) may have a problem with heavy loads.

So FAH doesn't run... How do other video test suites function on that GPU?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Curious » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm

I don't know other video test suites, but if you point me some i'll run a few tests for gathering infos on the capability of the card.
Curious

Postby 7im » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 pm

7im

Postby PantherX » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 am

In addition to what 7im posted, if you want more variety of applications to stress your GPU, you can have a look at this list of benchmarks that you can download and test yourself (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Benchmarking/). Most of them are for the GPU but there are a few which are CPU or HDD. Just make sure to use the latest version of the benchmark along with the latest version of the Drivers and a system with all important updates installed (Windows Updates).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Curious » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks for the advices! My system is fully patched, i've downloaded/i'll download the latest version of the suites, i've installed latest version of beta driver (Catalyst Mobility 13.11 beta v9.5).
Since when i've installed latest beta driver i've experienced one BSOD during a 720p video playback on YouTube: often in last month when i played one of this videos the system halted for a minute or two (the screen freezed and a metallic sound was heard) and then resumed to work properly * , so i think my hardware is near to the eternal rest, but never seen a BSOD. I hope it will not happen again. :(
* if there was F@H active, after all came backed to normal you could see in the log detected ckock skew or processor skew (i don't remeber exactly) but no data were lost and the process went on without any error thank God (only CPU was folding, GPU never started folding).

I tried to install ATI Tool but the system said there was a driver without signature, so i said to install it anyway but a second message appeared to notify that driver has not been installed because the system requires all drivers to have a signature. So i put apart this suite.

Then i''ve installed Fur Mark and run some tests: during all of them i've seen little frequent lag in the lower or right side of the screen and fps value was always really low.
Benckmark preset 720 gave no problem (dynamic background, 8x MSAA) but during test anti-aliasing value was zero: i think my video card doesn't support 8x MSAA, but during tests with 2x and 4x setted the anti-aliasing value was correct. Avarage fps 1, run time 60 sec, 73 points scored. Probably this is really a low score, but the test ended without problem.
I run a one minute burn in test with this options: 1366x768, Dynamic background, Burn In, Xtreme Burn In, 4x MSAA *. Min fps 1, max fps 2, avg fps 0, 48 points, max temperature lower than 60°C.
I halted all burn-in tests started with Post Fx setted because the writings with infos about gpu etc were illegible so i thought this kind of test will probably give my card some problems.
I did again a burn-in test with this * settings but run longer: avg fps 1, this time the clocks of memory and core hit their maximum values (800 MHz, 500 MHz) after a few minutes of running, during the 7th minute i halted it because 70°C temperature was reached.

PS: Furmark recognize my video card as a Mobility Radeon HD 5470 rather than 5430 (F@H recognize it as a Radeon HD 6230 non Mobility): it seems there is a lot of confusion about the device of this card (ID 68E1 as reported by GPU-Z).

I guess i'll be advised to run burn in test longer, but i think it is better not to overcome 70°C temperature. Is it right or i should aim to 80°C?

Does this first results suggest my video card hasn't certain feature? i think yes, unfortunately.
Curious

Postby bruce » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 pm

A message about "clock skew" is nothing to worry about. After FAH has been restarted, the estimates of completion times need to be adjusted for the gap in processing.

ATI GPUs are not supported on Linux or OS-X (they may be someday). On Windows, there have been a few problems reported with the ATI HD 5000 series GPUs on Windows. I'm not sure when (or if) they might be resolved. Whether it's missing a particular feature or not isn't known with certainty.

In fact, mobile GPUs in general, and particularly the lower end versions will probably always be problematic. (On my laptop, and even on one desktop system with an imbedded GPU, I only fold with my CPUs.) The ATI drivers do require one of the CPUs to drive the GPU, and using that CPU for CPU-based folding probably completes scientific work faster that the GPU.
bruce

Postby Curious » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Thank you for your response. I'm coming to terms with the inability of my gpu to fold. Next time i'll buy a notebook i'll choose one with different brands (no more HP, no more ATI, no more Atheros ecc.) for havning experience with products of different manufacturer, so i'll look for an nVidia gpu (not an embedded one) to avoid the problem of occupying one core for driving the gpu. Obviously i'll look for a graphics card of middle level at least, not low.

I'll continue making my gpu to work with Einstein@Home which doesn't give any sort of problem.
Curious

Postby Joe_H » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:24 pm

With Core_17 the current drivers also need one CPU core to fold on nVidia GPU's. So going to nVidia is not going to change that part of folding at least for the near future. More important probably will be going for at least a mid-range GPU whether AMD-ATI or nVidia.

P.S. Currently folding with Core_17 on AMD-ATI cards requires one CPU core for a few minutes when first starting and then for a short period periodically when validation and checkpoints are done. In between little CPU time is used. The comments on AMD-ATI folding requiring a full CPU core date from Core_16 which is in its final bit of usage if not completely over.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Curious » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 am

This informations are really valuable for me.

Does nVidia cards too, like ATI ones, use one cpu core for making gpu folding with core_17 for a little time only? Or does they use it continuously with core_17?
Curious

Postby Joe_H » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 am

The reports are that the CPU usage for nVidia is continuous with Core_17. Apparently it is due to the way they implemented OpenCL support in the driver.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby doesntmatter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 am

Joe_H wrote:P.S. Currently folding with Core_17 on AMD-ATI cards requires one CPU core for a few minutes when first starting and then for a short period periodically when validation and checkpoints are done. In between little CPU time is used.

Visualized with screenshot, one CPU usage peak with 3 percent, mostly taskman shows 0 or 1 percent:

doesntmatter

Previous

Return to ATI specific issues