Pair of single PCB GTX295 video cards

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Pair of single PCB GTX295 video cards

Postby vsekh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:35 pm

I went back to the thread that has a link to the beta 190.38 drivers. I downloaded and installed these drivers. I am now able to fold on all 4 GPUs with the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 switch on the Vista X64 PC that has a pair of dual GTX295 video cards.
vsekh

Postby vsekh » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm

This worked great for one day. One of the 4 GPU clients keeps getting unstable machine errors. I restarted the 4th GPU client, but the same thing happens right away. I am only able to get 3 GPU clients folding simultaneously. :(

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
vsekh

Postby vsekh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Looks like all 4 GPU clients work fine all the time if they are all folding the 787 point proteins. If any of the clients get a different protein to fold, both of the clients for the card gets unstable machine(client 1&2 or 3&4). I have to shutdown the clients that are having issues and start them back up again to get another protein folding. Anyone else have this problem that and/or have a fix?
vsekh

Postby 10e » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:24 pm

If you are using RivaTuner as well to overclock the cards or control fan speeds, you can get some very strange "side-effects". I found the same or similar issue with a dual-board GTX 295 folding alongside a single PCB GTX 295 under Windows 2003 x64. I would either get an "unstable_machine" on the second or third client, OR I'd just have it hang. I'd usually have to re-start the entire box.

IF you are using it, remove it and try again. If you are using EVGA Tuner the same problem exists because it is based on the same software as RivaTuner. The nVidia System tools didn't seem to have this issue, so you can try those if they work OK for you under Vista X64.

Best o' luck.
Image Image
10e

Postby MtM » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:18 pm

10e that doesn't make sence as rt/evga and the nvidia tools all work the same way so if you change something with one, it's been done in the same way as with the other.
MtM

Postby 10e » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 pm

MtM wrote:10e that doesn't make sence as rt/evga and the nvidia tools all work the same way so if you change something with one, it's been done in the same way as with the other.

I realize they are all just registry changing tools, but for some reason, I've found system stability with three or more nVidia GPUs to be worse using EVGA Precision or RivaTuner. Maybe it's something resident in memory with those two, or possibly because I'm using Windows 2003 x64.

All I know is that up until the past month, my output has been varying by nearly 20K a day because of numerous client hangs using Precision and RivaTuner, and lately that I've removed both from the machines with 3 or more GPUs I'm not suffering anywhere near the instability and manual re-starts. Again this is with the console/text/service client. With the systray, mileage may vary.

It could be far-fetched, but I'm just "anecdotally" speaking from my experiences. Both are great tools, but I've had problems with them on three or four different machines with 3+ GPUs.
10e

Postby MtM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Nothing beats first hand experience I guess I was just stating something obvious which doesn't seem to apply in all cases :)

But, there is always the possibility that your instability has been solved with core updates rather then the software change, I used RT exclusively for the past years and never had any issue with it, except for the fact that on driver updates it would tend to loose fan settings and I'd be having a freid egg backed on one of my cards :lol

And it doesn't exactly change clocks using the registry, it only stores the settings there for it's own use afaik. The method to change clocks is abit more complicated ( don't ask for specifics as I once been in an email exchange with w1zz4rd and found the answer I got to technical for my liking which is the most probable cause of me not remembering it vividly ).
MtM

Postby 10e » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am

vsekh wrote:I am not able to fold with SLI enabled on my Vista X64 PC with dual PCB GTX295 video cards with the 190.38 drivers. It only shows 2 monitors. How do I get Vista to show 4 monitors so that I can fold on all 4 GPUs with SLI enabled?

For Vista you need a dummy plug connected to the second port on the video card, which is the one closest to the slot screw for a monitor to show up on that port. Vista and Windows 7 will not allow you to activate a "phantom" monitor without a physical connection due to HDCP security, unlike Windows XP.

Here's a link for the "30 second dummy plug" http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/384733-30-second-dummy-plug.html

MTM: Sorry I didn't substantiate/elaborate my findings. It's when I use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 switch that I have problems with RivaTuner/Precision, otherwise I don't. Specifically in my case, like VSEKH it's when I use a stupid GTX 295 single PCB model that will not allow the extension of the desktop to a "phantom" screen in Windows XP/2003.
10e

Postby MtM » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks for the added elaboration, makes it easier to digest :) And allot easier to place in context ;)
MtM

Postby YashBudini » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 am

10e wrote: I highly doubt it works for Vista.

There you have it, Vista in a nutshell.
Where ever you are, you're there.
YashBudini

Postby vsekh » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 pm

I installed Windows 7 64bit edition on this PC. Since I can't fold the 1888 and 472 point proteins on all 4 clients when I have SLI enabled, I added dummy plugs on 3 of the GPUs. However I am only able to fold on GPU clients 1 and 2. Clients 3 and 4 are getting unstable machine errors. I was able to extend three monitors. I removed the "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" flag on all 4 clients, but have the same issue. Has anyone been successful folding on all 4 clients within Windows 7 with dummy plugs?

TIA
vsekh

Postby bambihunter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:58 am

vsekh wrote:I installed Windows 7 64bit edition on this PC. Since I can't fold the 1888 and 472 point proteins on all 4 clients when I have SLI enabled, I added dummy plugs on 3 of the GPUs. However I am only able to fold on GPU clients 1 and 2. Clients 3 and 4 are getting unstable machine errors. I was able to extend three monitors. I removed the "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" flag on all 4 clients, but have the same issue. Has anyone been successful folding on all 4 clients within Windows 7 with dummy plugs?

TIA

I was able to fold with 3 clients when using my old GTX280 and the 295 together but now that I finally got the water blocks on my pair of 295's I am in the exact same boat. I have 3 dummy plugs and a monitor plugged into them. I have extended the desktop with quad-SLI disabled (it doesn't allow me to extend the desktop to the extra monitors with quad-SLI enabled). GPU-Z shows the correct speed for GPU0 and GPU1 but shows the 300/100 for the other two cards. I have tried the forcegpu switch, tried to force 3D in RivaTuner, tried ClockClone in RIVA also.

I used to fold with XP 32 bit with my pair of 280's but it won't run with these cards. I assume I am out of memory when I try. Worst case scenario, I might throw a 64 bit version of XP on it just for folding. Can anyone confirm that XP will fold on all 4 without dummy plugs?
bambihunter

Postby gengar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:30 am

bambihunter wrote:I used to fold with XP 32 bit with my pair of 280's but it won't run with these cards. I assume I am out of memory when I try. Worst case scenario, I might throw a 64 bit version of XP on it just for folding. Can anyone confirm that XP will fold on all 4 without dummy plugs?

Just FYI, I am folding 2 GTX295's on 32-bit XP right now. No dummy plugs (just need -forcegpu on both clients for the 2nd GTX 295). In fact, I can even fold 2 GTX295 and 1 GTX260 on this same setup with 32-bit XP just fine (but am not doing so currently as there is not enough gap between two of the pci-e slots for good ventilation). So I don't know why a 2x295 setup did not work for you. I was thinking about installing 64-bit for the memory reason but have not yet had any problems with 32-bit.
gengar

Postby bambihunter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 am

That's good to know. I didn't spend any time on it once XP stopped working (which coincided with the GPU change). I might give it some more work. Maybe it is just a driver issue or something. I think I was using a much older driver on XP come to think of it.
bambihunter

Postby vsekh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:37 pm

bambihunter wrote:
vsekh wrote:I installed Windows 7 64bit edition on this PC. Since I can't fold the 1888 and 472 point proteins on all 4 clients when I have SLI enabled, I added dummy plugs on 3 of the GPUs. However I am only able to fold on GPU clients 1 and 2. Clients 3 and 4 are getting unstable machine errors. I was able to extend three monitors. I removed the "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" flag on all 4 clients, but have the same issue. Has anyone been successful folding on all 4 clients within Windows 7 with dummy plugs?

TIA

I was able to fold with 3 clients when using my old GTX280 and the 295 together but now that I finally got the water blocks on my pair of 295's I am in the exact same boat. I have 3 dummy plugs and a monitor plugged into them. I have extended the desktop with quad-SLI disabled (it doesn't allow me to extend the desktop to the extra monitors with quad-SLI enabled). GPU-Z shows the correct speed for GPU0 and GPU1 but shows the 300/100 for the other two cards. I have tried the forcegpu switch, tried to force 3D in RivaTuner, tried ClockClone in RIVA also.

I used to fold with XP 32 bit with my pair of 280's but it won't run with these cards. I assume I am out of memory when I try. Worst case scenario, I might throw a 64 bit version of XP on it just for folding. Can anyone confirm that XP will fold on all 4 without dummy plugs?

I have a separate PC running a pair of single PCB GTX295 video cards successfully with XP32. You just need the add the "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" command at the end of the shortcut. My main PC is running Win7X64. This is the one I would like to get all 4 GPU clients to run successfully with dummy plugs. Right now with SLI enabled, I am having to shutdown a couple of GPU clients whenever a couple of them start folding 1888 or 472 point proteins. Having to stop 2 GPU clients lowers my points per day on this PC significantly. Not sure why this PC cannot fold 1888 or 472 point proteins successfully with SLI enabled.
vsekh

PreviousNext

Return to NVIDIA specific issues