desktop graphics lagggg

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: desktop graphics lagggg

Postby gigagiggles » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:48 am

"have you tried a discrete mouse?"

the alps touchpad driver can't be disabled. the running alps software was ended. touchpad still functioned. used MS mouse with basic functions, no intellipoint. delay in cursor response still occurs while gpu client is working.
gigagiggles

Postby gigagiggles » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 am

Figured it out!

The counter-intuitiveness of not disabling aero and the lack of info on the tendrils that aero extends throughout the operating system nearly had me beat.

Using wiki, google and yahoo to search aero netted me the features of and requirements for aero. But there was no mention of any of the various visual subsystem functions that must be left enabled. In my endeavors to reduce overhead to get better performance, I had disabled some, if not many, of the visual effects of the operating system.

Most telling was the greyed out windows 7 options in desktop/personalize. Once I had re-enabled those options via performance information and tools/adjust visual effects, I thought I was done -- that aero was turned back on. Eventually, I found another tendril in the msconfig/services tab where I had disabled "themes". Once that was ticked and the pc rebooted, the lag was gone.
gigagiggles

Postby BuddhaChu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:51 am

Good to know.

That said, I read in another thread you had to have Aero on for good GPU performance on Win7. I'm using the "Windows 7 Basic" (non-Aero) theme with no noticeable slowdown.
BuddhaChu

Postby toTOW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 am

You don't have to enable it to run the GPU client ... but some people noticed that enabling it helps when someone has some 2D slowdowns ... that's why the first thing we suggest in this situation is to enable Aero.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby BuddhaChu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:42 pm

toTOW wrote:You don't have to enable it to run the GPU client ... but some people noticed that enabling it helps when someone has some 2D slowdowns ... that's why the first thing we suggest in this situation is to enable Aero.

Roger that Blue Leader. ;)
BuddhaChu

Previous

Return to NVIDIA specific issues