desktop graphics lagggg

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

desktop graphics lagggg

Postby gigagiggles » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm

hello.

picked up a laptop i7-720 6 gb ddr3 with nvidia gt 330m 1 gb dedicated ddr3 to help with smp folding. first foray into nvidia gpu folding. have climbed the steep hill of intel core 2 quad and ati folding from basic gpu systray to cpu uni's to smp and two gpu consoles (no lag).

smp mpich and gpu console clients installed with ease on laptop. each client runs well separately AND together. HOWEVER, the mouse cursor responds very slowly. had to use mix of mouse and keyboard controls to manipulate desktop windows. fortunately, when gpu client finshes (which is often), mouse is free to roam. then the cycle begins anew when a new gpu WU is downloaded and begins work.

are there settings within config or within windows 7-64 that will rid the desktop lag?
gigagiggles

Re: desktop graphics lagggg

Postby patonb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Did you set Aero on? most likely have, but just checking.

Laptop gpus aren't as strong as desktops, so its quite possible its just not that great a both, folding and use
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
patonb

Postby weedacres » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Also, set Environmental Variable FAH_GPU_IDLE=10
That will allow a few idle cycles and make your desktop less sluggish.
weedacres

Postby gigagiggles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 am

thanks for the replies.

i've set my win 7 for best performance, no visual effects, classics theme.

Environmental Variable FAH_GPU_IDLE=10 was set and had no effect on lagggg! is the 10 a percentage, thus giving a range that can be set?

laptop was picked primarily to fold. no multitasking intended. i expected i would be able to move mouse cursor about to move and set windows to display various telemetry. and if need be, move cursor to shut down clients.

using -smp 7 at 100 and gpu at 90.
gigagiggles

Postby patonb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 am

You need Aero active... sounds funny but it needs to be on... So change from classic to Pretty.
patonb

Postby P5-133XL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 am

Yes, Aero makes a massive difference to lag. You want it on rather than classic theme.
P5-133XL

Postby weedacres » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:31 am

Environmental Variable FAH_GPU_IDLE=10 was set and had no effect on lagggg! is the 10 a percentage, thus giving a range that can be set?

Yes, you can change the number to whatever amount of idle time you want. I don't think there's much point in going over 15.

Keep in mind that you really only have 4 cores, despite what task manager shows. You might want to assign the gpu core to the unused core 6. Or, back off a bit and start off with -smp which will default to 4 cores. See how that goes and proceed from there.
weedacres

Postby gigagiggles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:58 am

i turned on aero via selecting win 7 theme. and there was no impact on the desktop lagggg.

my problem may have something to do with the gt 330m. update driver via device manager says it's current. nvidia drivers site doesn't have 330m as an option.

while smp 7 at 100% causes no desktop lag running alone, gpu console client at 100% causes desktop lagggg running by itself!!! with the aero on and fah_gpu_idle at 10. this was discovered as the smp client finished and waited to upload. as the gpu client uses very little cpu time, i'm left with waiting to see if the next driver will correct this. unless someone has other ideas to try.

"Keep in mind that you really only have 4 cores, despite what task manager shows. You might want to assign the gpu core to the unused core 6."

didn't understand. is that unique to i7 to set affinity to the unused core 6?
gigagiggles

Postby toTOW » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

You can't usually install regular drivers on a mobile GPU ... and nVidia site doesn't know this GT300m series to get an updated version ... :lol:

Maybe www.laptopvideo2go.com has some for your card ?
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby weedacres » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 pm

didn't understand. is that unique to i7 to set affinity to the unused core 6?

Your I7 has 4 real cores and 4 "virtual cores" by virtue of HT. As long as HT is turned on, the folding client will think you have 8 cores when in fact you really have 4 physical cores.
By setting -smp 7 you are using 7 of those 8 cores. The reason for running -smp 7 rather than -smp 8 is to give your gpu folding client some headspace to operate in, the unused core. For that to happen you have to assign it to run in the unused core by setting it's affinity to the unused core.
There is a lot of discussion of this in both the -A3 forum and the -bigadv forum.

edit:
This thread might be of interest http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13193
weedacres

Postby weedacres » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 pm

weedacres wrote:
By setting -smp 7 you are using 7 of those 8 cores. The reason for running -smp 7 rather than -smp 8 is to give your gpu folding client some headspace to operate in, the unused core. For that to happen you have to assign it to run in the unused core by setting it's affinity to the unused core.
There is a lot of discussion of this in both the -A3 forum and the -bigadv forum.

edit:
This thread might be of interest http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13193

I gave you some bad poop here.
The way I now understand it is that the bios creates 4 or 8 cores for the OS to see and use. With HT off there is a 1:1 relationship between physical cores and "virtual cores" for lack of a better term. With HT on there is a 1:2 relationship between physical cores and "virtual cores", so thee are now 8 cores available.
Thanks bruce for straightening me out. :oops:
weedacres

Postby ChelseaOilman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 pm

toTOW wrote:nVidia site doesn't know this GT300m series to get an updated version ... :lol:

Are you sure? I can't tell because of the way they check for updates. You have to click on the link and install a program that then checks your notebook for current drivers and then offers updated drivers if available. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they're CUDA capable.

Try this link ---> http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html
ChelseaOilman

Postby toTOW » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Well, I was in a hurry, and I haven't been able to retrieve that link ... so forget what I said :mrgreen:
toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby gigagiggles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 am

@ weedacres

"You might want to assign the gpu core to the unused core 6.""

I previously understood i7's 4 cores and 4 extra HT virtual cores. Your statement confused me.

From task manager, the a3 core affinity shows "all processors" despite the client parameter -smp 7. Unchecking one of the eight, core 7, keeps the +12% reduction in cpu usage. Unchecking second of the eight, core 6, causes a total reduction of 25% in cpu usage. There was no consequence to the folding or to the desktop lagggg.

Looking at core_11, its affinity is tied to core 7, checked/ticked, despite the client configuration of disabling affinity lock. Checking/ticking all processors had no impact on the folding or the desktop lagggg.

In regards to the desktop lagggg, the task manager shows two instances of the same nviddia driver executable with the same user name - SYSTEM. Is this normal for nvidia? The opened windows provide telemetry, such as temperatures, cpu usage and folding progress, without noticeable delays. The lag isn't occuring in these windows. It only occurs when I try to move the mouse cursor via the alps touchpad. Then, the desktop takes a few seconds before displaying the change in cursor position. Sometimes, a window or two gets "corrupted" during the process until the display is refreshed. All of these occur only when the gpu console client is running, as soon as the core is engaged!
gigagiggles

Postby weedacres » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Sorry, I meant core 7.
Presumably core 7 is somewhat idle when viewed in task manager?

If it only laggs when using the touchpad have you tried a discrete mouse?

I have tried to gpu fold on a couple of laptops and not had much luck. Laptop gpus are often pretty anemic and system usability suffered. In addition, when combined with smp folding they often generate so much heat that the whole system becomes unstable.
weedacres

Next

Return to NVIDIA specific issues