GPU too hot? Try down-volting it

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

GPU too hot? Try down-volting it

Postby Wrish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 am

When I casually installed the GPU client 2 weeks ago, I noticed my stock GTX 280 began to run loud and hot (~70% fan speed, 84 C).

A few days later, when P10102 came out, that 280 revved up to 95% fan @ 85C... the single loudest component among 3 desktops. I immediately downloaded Rivatuner. I spent an hour to read about, test, and apply the commands to softmod the 3d GPU core voltage from 1.1875v to 0.95v. It made a huge difference. P10102 now runs at 53% fan @ 80C. I decided not to overclock the shaders. The PPD gain from shader frequency scaling is linear, and almost all power going into the GPU is variable, which means efficiency in performance/watt is best at low voltages (V^2). If I want more GPU PPD I should rather get additional 9600GSOs.

There's folding as fast as you can, at all costs and sometimes pushing equipment past the burning point. Then there's folding efficiently, which I much prefer. I use PPD as a guide. Come summer, I'll know to try to underclock GPUs to give more headroom for A3-crunching CPUs (on a limited AC budget).

P.S. I learned about softmodding the GTX280 here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... tcount=103. It doesn't require a memory-resident startup program, just a .bat file. But that link works for a limited range of card models; for any other card I'd have to Google again.
Wrish

Re: GPU too hot? Try down-volting it

Postby pwnchu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Cleaning the GPU does wonders. I had been watching my GPU climb in temps with trepidation; even though I was downclocking i was hitting ridiculous temps like 97C (wtf, yeah). Then I opened the top, got the dust out of the heatsink fins, and am back to ~70C, with OCed shaders. Pretty good, eh?
pwnchu

Re: GPU too hot? Try down-volting it

Postby SKeptical_Thinker » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:03 am

pwnchu wrote:Cleaning the GPU does wonders. I had been watching my GPU climb in temps with trepidation; even though I was downclocking i was hitting ridiculous temps like 97C (wtf, yeah). Then I opened the top, got the dust out of the heatsink fins, and am back to ~70C, with OCed shaders. Pretty good, eh?

That's something everyone should pay attention to. The judicious use of some compressed air will blow a lot of insulating dust out of a video card (and the computer). I had a very similar experience with my video card. Now I blow it out every quarter, whether it needs it, or not.
SKeptical_Thinker

Return to NVIDIA specific issues