Constant EUE Problems

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Constant EUE Problems

Postby PantherX » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Your default RAM frequency is 800MHz and your reporting 700MHz, did you underclock your RAM or not? Because if you overclock your CPU, you should also increase the RAM frequency (in most cases, its done automatically by the motherboard). It could be possible that your BIOS somehow is corrupted and is making a mess of the system, can you download the latest BIOS and flash it with the new one that you have downloaded? Once on my old PC was showing some weird problems and I tried everything and in the end, I simply changed the slots in which the RAM were installed and voila, it ran smoothly. If this doesn't help I would conclude that its your motherboard problem with a very rare defect. My first PC had an Intel motherboard that died within one week of buying it and had it exchanged for a new one, it could be possible that you are among the unlucky ones.

BTW what OS are you using and is it 32/64 bit with all the latest updates installed? Also how long did you run Prime95? I read that it should run for 24 to 48Hrs before a system is declared 100% stable.

Wish you all the best.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby burn.intel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah the motherboard auto overclocks the ram, unless you change the FSB:RAM multi. In my case that ratio is low, keeping the RAM frequency below their spec'd speeds. That's and option on most of the P45 boards I think. So yeah, my RAM is currently underclocked. And yep already flashed to the newest BIOS.

I didn't run Prime95 for that long, but it's been running F@H for like 4 days straight so I would say it's pretty stable.

I have always had REALLY bad luck with hardware (once I got a DOA video card 3 times in a row, LOL), so I wouldn't really be surprised if it is indeed the motherboard.

I'm running Win7 x64
burn.intel

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 pm

When you make these clock changes, what does this do to the clock-rate of the PCI-e bus? Is it running within spec?
bruce

Postby JimF » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am

burn.intel wrote:I'm running Win7 x64

I run WinXP on my folding PC (with the Foxconn ELA MB), but I am running Win7 x64 on two other PCs. Win7, especially the 64-bit version, is to put it charitably, picky about video cards and motherboards, and probably RAM too for that matter. For example, my two other PCs with Win7 x64 both have P45 chipsets too, but behave differently with respect to video cards. That is, my main PC has an Asus P5Q Pro with two PCIe x16 slots, and I am able to fold on cards in both slots with no problems. More significantly I can run a Radeon 4350 with no problem either (though it does slow down folding on a GT240 in the other slot, so I don't use it in practice). But the Radeon 4350 in the other PC with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard crashes whenever I enable Aero in Win7 x64. (So I went with a GT210 in that PC, and problem solved.)

The point is that the same video card can behave quite differently with Win7 x64, even on similar hardware. It probably has something to do with the change in the driver model; on Win7 they read and write directly to the graphics card memory rather than going through the system memory, or something like that. But it sounds like it could be more hardware-dependent, though I don't know the details. But given that the Foxconn board has 3 PCIe x16 slots, it is not at all surprising that the drivers may not be up to speed yet. So if possible, try WinXP on it if you want to go that route. And there is a whole thread here on Win7, though I don't know if it is relevant to your case.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7846
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby burn.intel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 am

bruce wrote:When you make these clock changes, what does this do to the clock-rate of the PCI-e bus? Is it running within spec?

Yeah it stays at a constant 100Mhz (or whatever the default is, I think it's 100). I've tried higher, not too high but I tried 105 and below, and it didn't help (I've heard sometimes doing that helps stability).

JimF wrote:
burn.intel wrote:I'm running Win7 x64

I run WinXP on my folding PC (with the Foxconn ELA MB), but I am running Win7 x64 on two other PCs. Win7, especially the 64-bit version, is to put it charitably, picky about video cards and motherboards, and probably RAM too for that matter. For example, my two other PCs with Win7 x64 both have P45 chipsets too, but behave differently with respect to video cards. That is, my main PC has an Asus P5Q Pro with two PCIe x16 slots, and I am able to fold on cards in both slots with no problems. More significantly I can run a Radeon 4350 with no problem either (though it does slow down folding on a GT240 in the other slot, so I don't use it in practice). But the Radeon 4350 in the other PC with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard crashes whenever I enable Aero in Win7 x64. (So I went with a GT210 in that PC, and problem solved.)

The point is that the same video card can behave quite differently with Win7 x64, even on similar hardware. It probably has something to do with the change in the driver model; on Win7 they read and write directly to the graphics card memory rather than going through the system memory, or something like that. But it sounds like it could be more hardware-dependent, though I don't know the details. But given that the Foxconn board has 3 PCIe x16 slots, it is not at all surprising that the drivers may not be up to speed yet. So if possible, try WinXP on it if you want to go that route. And there is a whole thread here on Win7, though I don't know if it is relevant to your case.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7846

Thanks for the tip. Image Will definitely try Win XP. I assume 32 bit?
burn.intel

Postby JimF » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:32 am

burn.intel wrote:Thanks for the tip. Image Will definitely try Win XP. I assume 32 bit?

Yes, 32 bit. I hope it works and is not another dead end.
JimF

Postby burn.intel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:07 am

As do I... Really don't want to RMA the board, because I'd have to go through Foxconn (Newegg is out of stock) :(
burn.intel

Postby PantherX » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 am

Could it be possible that your motherboard doesn't support Win7 64-bit and requires some tweaking to support it, hence is giving you these random errors, I am running Win7 32-bit and its folding smoothly.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby JimF » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Also, it may not be just the video drivers involved, even though the failure message I got (an actual blue screen, which I haven't seen for a long time) listed "atikmdag.sys" as the cause, which is the all-purpose failure mode when the ATI drivers stop working. But one fix that worked was to replace the default Microsoft AHCI SATA disk drivers with the latest Intel AHCI drivers. I couldn't use that fix in practice, since the Intel drivers do not pass the Trim command I need for my solid-state disk drive, so I had to get a new video card instead. But there are probably a lot of driver problems that can interfere with the function of the video card, so there could be still other solutions.
JimF

Postby burn.intel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I don't know, maybe it was windows 7. But IT'S WORKING NOW!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image

Folded 5 or 6 WU's over night and had no problems. Folding on it as we speak. Image I'll throw in the other cards later today.
burn.intel

Postby JimF » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:58 pm

It is a good feeling, and well worth the effort.
JimF

Postby burn.intel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:19 pm

It sure is.

Put the other cards in and they're working just fine too, all have completed 1 WU so far and no problems Image
burn.intel

Postby burn.intel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 am

Well guess XP didn't solve the problem. The cards are STILL give me errors. And I tried each one by itself this time. Same thing. Sigh. Think I'm going to RMA the board...
burn.intel

Postby JimF » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

The motherboard is one possibility, but it now appears to be very intermittent. I believe you checked the DRAM, but it could be the disk drive, a bad connector or even a power problem if you have brief outages for example. You don't have any sources of radio frequency interference nearby? A condition that would go unnoticed for most programs could cause a problem for Folding.

EDIT: Also, since you are running the 9800gt and 8800gt, it might have something to do with the power supply, though yours is plenty big enough. But I have heard of problems with the PCIe power connectors for example. And I always use an uninterruptible power supply. In fact, I even use a series surge protector (ZeroSurge) in front of that, though that is mainly to protect the disk drives and is probably overkill for your problem.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6886
JimF

Postby burn.intel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 am

I just tried another PSU (haven't had much time lately, school is getting hectic) and got the same problem. Even with a single card it error's.

RAM has been checked, power outages aren't a problem either or else my main rig would have issues as well. I'm not running any disk drives (aside from a hard drive - which worked fine in my other folding comp) and I'm not aware of any close radio frequencies to me, but again I don't see why that would cause problems with that machine and not my others.

I think I'm just going to RMA the board, which looks like is going to take about a month if not longer... Yay for folding...
burn.intel

PreviousNext

Return to NVIDIA specific issues