Which drivers?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Which drivers?

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 am

I was digging through some old hardware this weekend and I came up with a functional machine with a 6150SE (nForce 430) integrated adapter and an empty PCI-e slot. I tried putting an 8800 GS in that slot and I have not been able to find drivers that will run both adapters. (I was thinking of using the integrated adapter for video and the 8800GS for FAH.)

Does anybody know if it's possible to run both adapters?

Vista Home Prem.
A64 4000+
bruce

Re: Which drivers?

Postby PantherX » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 am

As far as I know, the only technology that supports dual adapters are Hybrid SLI and Optimus (this is for laptops and there will be 50 models of them in the near future). Also you need supporting motherboard and GPU for Hybrid SLI to work. You stated that the hardware is old so I guess that once you install the 8800GS, the integrated adapter will be automatically disabled by the BIOS. Hope this helps you.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby DonMarkoni » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

It should be possible if Win sees both of them. :? Does BIOS disables it as Panther-X said? I looked at NVIDIA Home > Download Drivers and found out that both 6150SE and 8800GS are supported all the way up to 196.34.
Rig: Rampage IV Extreme, i7-3930K @ 5GHz, AData 4x2GB @ 2400MHz 9-11-9-27-1T, GTX680 Lightning @ 1200/6000
DonMarkoni

Postby PantherX » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

From my personal experience, if your motherboard had integrated video or audio controllers and you add an external one then either the BIOS disables the integrated one or you have to manually do it as it will cause system instability. I did it with a few motherboards so I can't say its a hard and fast rule but something that I found out the hard way.

bruce - why would you want to use the integrated VGA in the first place when you have 8800GS? I highly doubt that the integrated VGA is powerful enough to fold within the short deadlines of the GPU WUs. Nevertheless, I found something that might be of interest for you-

(http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/661359-using-integrated-dedicated-card-simultaneously.html)
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:00 pm

The integrated VGA is fine for video and the 8800GS is find for FahCore_11. I assume that interrupting the 8800 to refresh my screen will detract slightly from FAH, and I might see some screen lag, whereas the 6150SE should keep working just like it does now -- if I can get them both to work.

(Then there's the minor problem that I can't find my DVI>VGA converter.)
bruce

Postby domboy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 pm

I would say it really depends on the motherboard as to whether or not it automatically disables onboard video when a PCIe video card is added. I've seen plenty that do. I have the board mentioned in Panther-X's link, and it's easy to keep the onboard GPU enabled along with a PCIe video card. Its BIOS has an option for designating the primary display (which to initialize first), and it also has an option to enable the onboard as a secondary display. You'll just have to poke around your board's BIOS and see what options you have. Maybe you'll get lucky...
domboy

Return to NVIDIA specific issues