Use Client or GPU to Fold

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Use Client or GPU to Fold

Postby TomJohnson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 pm

I just added a third Sony VAIO latop - VPCF119GX CTO i7-820QM, 1.73/3.06 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM HD, with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU with 1 GB VRAM to my mini-farm. I will be Folding on it 24/7 using 64 bit Windows 7 Pro.
Should I use the Client or GPU to Fold ?
How many of the 4 or 8 cores should I use ?
How many Client folders should I use ?
Please respond knowing that I am primarily a Mac user – be gentle.

I am trying to use FahMonitor V2.3.99.1 to keep track of daily PPD progress while processing GPUs – p57xx and 105xx WUs.
I have located the invisible file location – c:\Users\Tom Johnson\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu.
I have followed the FahMonitor FAQ/setup guidance for Pref file location and have used both the above file location with and without quotes.
I get an Access Denied with either of the settings.
I am the Administrator, have Full Control of the Program and its associated Roaming folder and have Opened the program normally and as Administrator.
I still get Access Denied when trying to use FahMonitor.

RE: initial setup – what additional settings to use for Client or GPU -- -verbosity 9 –advmethods –smp x (? None, 7, 8) –bigadv
I would like to try the bigadv WUs when they become available for the PCs to see if the computer can meet the deadline requirements even if it gets minimum or no bonus points.

What setup will provide max WUs per day ?
What setup will provide max PPD ?

Help ! TIA
iMac 15,1 27" 5K Retina Intel i7 4.0 GHz Dual Quad 24 GB RAM 1 TB Fusion OS 10.10
Mac Pro 5,1 3.06 GHz 12 Core 52 Gig RAM OS 10.9.5 -- Plus 20 more
TomJohnson

Re: Use Client or GPU to Fold

Postby Nathan_P » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Given that its a laptop I would be wary of running -bigadv on it, the prolonged heat output will not do anything any good in the long term. As you are coming from the mac world may i suggest starting with SMP2 and the A3 work units and go from there as you may have used the smp client on your mac's. Once you are comfortable with that i would add the gpu client if you wish but running it will have an adverse effect on the PPD of you cpu. you will have to try it see if the gain from the GPU outweighs the loss on the CPU, especially with the new bonus scheme.

Definately look at getting a good laptop cooler and be prepared to clean all the fan vents often

As for the additional settings you can set the client to use any number of cores - if you are using the laptop for other things i would suggest trying it with different -smp values to get a balance of usability and folding power.
-verbosity 9 will help with troubleshooting as it tells the client to write all info to the log, lower values mean that less info is posted to the log.
-advmethods will allow you to get some of the newer WU so by all means add that

Max output in both WU and PPD at the moment is SMP2 + GPU

With regard to Fahmon it sounds like the client has been installed to the wrong folder, have you followed the gpu install guide located here:http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc3

HTH :)
Nathan_P

Postby TomJohnson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

NP,

They do not have a Win 7 install so I followed the install for Vista and everything is in the correct folder locations.

The new i7 will only be Folding 24/7.

I have 2 other PC laptops (from 4/06 and 7/09) and 2 Mac laptops (from 7/07 and 1/08) all Folding 24/7 and all raised above the desk surface with no over temp shutdowns.
TomJohnson

Postby Nathan_P » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 pm

TomJohnson wrote:NP,

They do not have a Win 7 install so I followed the install for Vista and everything is in the correct folder locations.

The new i7 will only be Folding 24/7.

I have 2 other PC laptops (from 4/06 and 7/09) and 2 Mac laptops (from 7/07 and 1/08) all Folding 24/7 and all raised above the desk surface with no over temp shutdowns.

It should be the same for both Win7 and vista but i'm not able to help more as i still run XP, however i would suggest looking at HFM.net, especially if you will be running -bigadv as it can calculate what bonus you should be getting as well as your base PPD. If you still get problems just post back here as it won't take long for someone to post back with more help.

If your happy to then give -bigadv a go, not many people have run it on a laptop so it will be interesting to see how you get on. Just one thing though given the bonus nature of -bigadv i wouldn't run the GPU client on it at the same tame as you will lose more than you gain. As with the A3/GPU scenario you may need to experiment to see how you get on
Nathan_P

Return to NVIDIA specific issues