My folding farm inevitably stops folding after a while

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: My folding farm inevitably stops folding after a while

Postby Leonardo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:46 am

1GB DDR
That might be a problem. After reading this thread, I performed an observation. On one of my Folding boxes, I ran just two GPU clients. The only other things running were a few monitors, such as HFM.net, EVGA Precision, and Core Temperature. Oh yes, I also had the browser open and Task Manager. The computer was using 1.40GB of RAM. Open Task Manager on the subject computer, click on the Performance tab, and see how much memory your system is using. You may be maxing out the memory.
Leonardo

Postby custommadename » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 am

divery4eyes wrote:you dont have to spend $80, a Corsair 400cx(my favorite by the way) costs only $45 to 50. That should be more than enough to power those two cards.
You guys have to pick a side and stick with it. :P I will not be told to replace my 480W power supply with a 400W one. More so, both mine and the 400W Corsair have 30A across the 12V rails.
Tagan
Corsair

Leonardo wrote:
1GB DDR
That might be a problem. After reading this thread, I performed an observation. On one of my Folding boxes, I ran just two GPU clients. The only other things running were a few monitors, such as HFM.net, EVGA Precision, and Core Temperature. Oh yes, I also had the browser open and Task Manager. The computer was using 1.40GB of RAM. Open Task Manager on the subject computer, click on the Performance tab, and see how much memory your system is using. You may be maxing out the memory.
One video card folding and two gigabytes of memory, with a 3.6GHz P4 (stock speed) and a 500GB SATA drive with nothing else running, and I had the same problem. But thanks for the suggestion - I'll increase my memory anyway. I'm going to go back to XP but will use 3GB of memory. That should help it.

Also, here's memtest86+ with 62 passes and 0 errors with my 1GB of DDR memory:
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... 0038-6.jpg

The only thing that's left is heat. After I reformat, I'm going to crank up the fans to maximum speed and will add one more to make sure the cards run at 50º C or below. Please keep the suggestions coming.
custommadename

Postby PantherX » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:28 am

I have got one for you; Can you run MemtestG80 without any errors?
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby custommadename » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 am

That's incredible! I'll run that and let you know how it goes. It even supports dual GPUs, so I'm all set. :D
custommadename

Postby PantherX » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:34 am

The default is 50 runs with 128 MB RAM (IIRC), you may want to set it higher and repeat the test to 100 runs with high RAM.

EDIT - If you don't know how to do that, here is the method:
ihaque wrote:
Code: Select all
memtestG80 128 1000

That should run it over 128MB of memory for 1000 iterations...start up a command prompt (start->run->cmd), change to the directory where the memtest executable is located, and type in the command...
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby custommadename » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am

Guys, sorry about the holdup. I left the continent for about a month, but then I came back and started college a few days ago. It's Labor Day weekend, so time to start the F@h farm again. I tried booting up the farm and starting the folding apps, but they keep crashing without ever starting.

Since I'm not only having issues with the folding but also with LogMeIn, I'm going to reformat to XP and see how that works. Does GPU3 support dual GPUs yet?
custommadename

Postby PantherX » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:14 pm

custommadename wrote:...Does GPU3 support dual GPUs yet?
Not yet. It is expected in v7 of the Client. For the GPU3 BETA Client, you have to use -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 flags.
PantherX
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to NVIDIA specific issues