Driver 258.96

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Driver 258.96

Postby tati » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 am

Hi,
Because my graphics card (GeForce9500GT) has rejected all 66xx projects(unstable machine), I installed the newest driver from Nvidia: 258.96.
Now, the fah does not start because it misses the cudart.dll. But this driver version installs any cudart.dll..!
Before this I've tried 191.07, 190.38 and 197.13 driver versions with no changes: all gpu projects were accepted but not the 66xx series. I still guess that this projects have a bug.
Have somebody suggestions about?
tati

Location: Commuter between Herrenberg/Germany and Satu Mare/Romania

Re: Driver 258.96

Postby HaloJones » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 pm

If you search for the missing dll, you will almost certainly find it. Once found, copy it to the directory containg your gpu client.
1x Titan X, 1x 1070ti, 4x 1070
HaloJones

Postby uncle fuzzy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 am

If you can't find it on your machine, Google is your friend. There are many places you can get it from.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

uncle fuzzy

Postby weedacres » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:51 am

cudart.dll is part of Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-631.zip, the nvidia console client, XP in my case, along with several other files.
They should be in the same folder (for the console client) as the program file.

That's also true of the 6.23 client.
weedacres

Postby Nathan_P » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:44 pm

tati wrote:Hi,
Because my graphics card (GeForce9500GT) has rejected all 66xx projects(unstable machine), I installed the newest driver from Nvidia: 258.96.
Now, the fah does not start because it misses the cudart.dll. But this driver version installs any cudart.dll..!
Before this I've tried 191.07, 190.38 and 197.13 driver versions with no changes: all gpu projects were accepted but not the 66xx series. I still guess that this projects have a bug.
Have somebody suggestions about?

No bugs, i'm running 3 gpu clients and most of the time they are 66xx units. your 9500GT is fairly slow and these Wu pull an awful lot of power and strain the card quite hard. my guess is that on your original drivers the card just can't cope with the work and gives up - changing the driver isn't going to help you i'm afraid. This has been mentioned before but i haen't been able to find the thread/post yet
Nathan_P

Postby tati » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi,
To weedacres: I use the Win32-NV-GPU-systray-623.msi and this has any cudart.dll in its folder (and nowhere in system). Fortunately I found and copied one from an other HDD.

To Nathan_P: probably you have right saying my card is too slow for these projects, although it has completed each kind of GPU2 projects, even the 5781-5798 series of 783 points worth (but ca. 100 less atoms then the 66xx series). I found no problems in the forum related to the 66xx projects, so it seems I'm alone with this..

Thanks everybody for answers!
tati

Location: Commuter between Herrenberg/Germany and Satu Mare/Romania

Postby gwildperson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 am

There are a couple of topics saying that certain GPUs have trouble with 66xx projects. I have no idea whether the problem is part of FAH or part of the drivers. Has anybody asked nvidia about the problem?
gwildperson

Postby Z28dman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Okay this is a two part deal, first the answer for the cudart.dll, I had the same problem, I found the dll file under application data in the folding@home folder, instead of copying into the c:/program files/folding@home/folding@home-gpu it actually copied onto c:/documents and settings/*username*/application data/folding@home-gpu, apparently it copys the files to both places except for some reason the dll file doesnt always show up in the program files folder, if you copy or click drag the dll file over to the program files/folding@home/folding@home-gpu file, the program will then start without an issue,

However, this brings me to the second point of conversation, while it works fine, for some reason if you try to view your work, it gives you some sort of loop error and shuts down the system, so while it does work, you cant watch it, everything else is fine as far as log file,stats,etc, you just cant hit the display or it pops up black screen, locks up your system, then you have the dreaded blue screen of death before the error message and the system reboots. Going to continue reading the posts to see if there is an answer to this yet, also going to try hitting the viewer icon in the program file itself to see if that works.
Z28dman

Postby PantherX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Z28dman wrote:...However, this brings me to the second point of conversation, while it works fine, for some reason if you try to view your work, it gives you some sort of loop error and shuts down the system, so while it does work, you cant watch it, everything else is fine as far as log file,stats,etc, you just cant hit the display or it pops up black screen, locks up your system, then you have the dreaded blue screen of death before the error message and the system reboots. Going to continue reading the posts to see if there is an answer to this yet, also going to try hitting the viewer icon in the program file itself to see if that works.
If you are using the Viewer in the Client, please don't use it. It is know to be buggy/resource hog and will slow down your progress of folding the WU. BTW if this is caused by the viewer, this is the first time that I have come across such sever "reaction" normally, the viewer would crash while the Client continues to fold, at least that was in my case.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby 7im » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Z28dman wrote:...

However, this brings me to the second point of conversation, while it works fine, for some reason if you try to view your work, it gives you some sort of loop error and shuts down the system, so while it does work, you cant watch it, everything else is fine as far as log file,stats,etc, you just cant hit the display or it pops up black screen, locks up your system, then you have the dreaded blue screen of death before the error message and the system reboots. Going to continue reading the posts to see if there is an answer to this yet, also going to try hitting the viewer icon in the program file itself to see if that works.

Hello Z28dman, welcome to the forum.

When you say the viewer, do you mean the regular viewer, or the special viewer?

Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU2 System tray client (installer msi)

or

Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU2 System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's (installer msi)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Return to NVIDIA specific issues