GPU1, ok GPU2, ok GPU3, freeze PC ??

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

GPU1, ok GPU2, ok GPU3, freeze PC ??

Postby pompeyrodney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I have a multi GPU set up that is losing me loads of points I reckon. GPU 1 and 2 are fine but if I then start GPU3 it runs for a while and then the PC freezes and I am forced to reboot. The same thing happens if I start GPU3 on its own. Don't think it is power or heat issues as it has a custom cooler and a 650 watt Corsair PSU, all has been running fine until very recently. How do I identify the GPU the client is actually using as in which card is GPU3 using please? Your thoughts are appreciated re fault finding this issue.
pompeyrodney

Re: GPU1, ok GPU2, ok GPU3, freeze PC ??

Postby uncle fuzzy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 pm

CUDA-Z is supposed to tell you which gpu is in which slot. Precision or Afterburner should show which GPU loads with which client.

What gpus do you have? I used to run 3X GTX260/216 in the same box with no problems. Now I have 4X GTS450 stacked together with no problems.

It sounds like the slot you have the third card in might be bad. Have you tried swapping a different card to that slot?
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

uncle fuzzy

Postby pompeyrodney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:40 pm

uncle fuzzy wrote:CUDA-Z is supposed to tell you which gpu is in which slot. Precision or Afterburner should show which GPU loads with which client.

What gpus do you have? I used to run 3X GTX260/216 in the same box with no problems. Now I have 4X GTS450 stacked together with no problems.

It sounds like the slot you have the third card in might be bad. Have you tried swapping a different card to that slot?

Hi
Never heard of CUDA-Z or Precision or even Afterburner, but will see if I can find them. I have 1 x9800GT and 2 x 8800Gt, the only spare card I have is an 8800GT with a missing fan blade, any idea where I can get a new fan? Thanks for your help.
pompeyrodney

Postby uncle fuzzy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I mean switch the cards around so they are in different slots. Keep the same 3 in there, just see if the problem stays where it was or moves to another client with the card swap.
uncle fuzzy

Postby pompeyrodney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

uncle fuzzy wrote:I mean switch the cards around so they are in different slots. Keep the same 3 in there, just see if the problem stays where it was or moves to another client with the card swap.

Thanks Uncle Fuzzy that's not a bad idea. I downloaded Cuda-Z but when I try to run it, the PC freezes when it gets to the third card again. I at least know it is one of the 8800's that is the problem and I think it is the one with the custom cooler fitted. Will let you know how I get on, thanks for your help.
pompeyrodney

Postby uncle fuzzy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:38 pm

It could be a bad card, or a bad slot. Bad card moves, bad slot stays no matter the card in it.
uncle fuzzy

Postby pompeyrodney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 pm

uncle fuzzy wrote:It could be a bad card, or a bad slot. Bad card moves, bad slot stays no matter the card in it.

It certainly seems to be a bad card as when I swapped two cards around and restarted, I could then only see two cards in device manager, instead of three. I now need to find a replacement card, or at least a new fan for my spare card. Thanks for your help.
pompeyrodney

Return to NVIDIA specific issues