Folding@Home Without Installing ?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Folding@Home Without Installing ?

Postby HellasVagabond » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:30 pm

Hello to all..This is my first message in here so greetings :)

My question is rather simple....I happen to own 2 Computers and currently they are both folding...However my Bro also has a computer and i want to put it folding as well...However his main Admin account is locked and he is not giving me the password...Instead he made a secondary logon with which i dont have rights to install or uninstall programs...He is currently away for a month so i could use his PC for this.
So my question is simple...Is there a way to put the F@H client on an USB stick and run it from there ? So far i cant seem to find something like that so i came here to ask....Hopefully i will be able to have 3 PCs running F@H.

Cheers
HellasVagabond

Re: Folding@Home Without Installing ?

Postby Beberg » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:49 pm

We do not support installing Folding@home on machines where the owner does not want it installed.

If he does say this is OK, you could just run the console client.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Postby HellasVagabond » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Well he said ok if i can do it by using the logon he made for me....But without installing its hard...
Doesnt the console client require installation ?
HellasVagabond

Postby Beberg » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:15 pm

OK, good.

No, the console doesn't need any installation (just config), start it and let it go for a month.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Postby 7im » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Download the console client in to a folder where you want to run the client, double click the client, answer a few setup questions, and off it goes. No installation other than that, and your login is sufficient to run a console client.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby HellasVagabond » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm

The thing is that he has an 8800GTS and i wanted to use the GPU folding so it would fold faster :(

PS : Ok i see a console GPU client :)
HellasVagabond

Postby leexgx » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:51 pm

if he wants to use the pc you need to tell him to clsoe it down or the pc will be unusable when he hits any 3d actively (you can use windows task scheduler to make it start and stop when idle)
leexgx

Postby HellasVagabond » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Well the GPU Console client will not start....My bro has version 169.21 of NVIDIA Drivers and it doesnt support folding@home...Weird..
Anyways i tried using the SMPT console but it wont work either...It need to be set as a service but for that to happen i need to be an admin....
So i placed the normal console version which is slow as a turtle :P
HellasVagabond

Postby FEAR6655 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:02 am

You need to have CUDA supported drivers to run the GPU client, which means at least 177.35 for good performance.
FEAR6655

Postby leexgx » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

177.83 should be the best to use due to it now suporting PhysX now (useing them on my pc now no problems) thay work with all video cards from the 8800 UP (maybe 8400 up as well) Mobile video cards need to mod the ini to still make it install

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/force_within_uk.html
at bottem pick the OS type and click downlaod next page (ignore the downlaod manager if you do not want to install the plugin, but it does work well does 4 connections per file so its fast) click download manually and download the 177.83 driver
leexgx

Postby MtM » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:12 pm

This is related though not 100%.

Running from any flash based media would seem ill advice since the client seems to have a good deal off read/writes ( broncontrole says so ). Flash memory has a limited amount of read writes, wouldn't you be better of with anything else then flash based?
MtM

Postby SKeptical_Thinker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:27 pm

MtM wrote:This is related though not 100%.

Running from any flash based media would seem ill advice since the client seems to have a good deal off read/writes ( broncontrole says so ). Flash memory has a limited amount of read writes, wouldn't you be better of with anything else then flash based?
I would have little or no concern about wearing a USB stick out with the minuscule amount of writing that FAH does. Reads do not have any effect on flash lifetime.

While I haven't recently looked at the specifications on any particular devices, 200,000 writes per sector was considered average eight years ago when I was following the flash-disk industry. Since modern controllers do logical sector rotation and wear leveling as well as header bit substitution, data bit substitution and sector sparing after ECC indicates correctable read problems, I would expect 1M writes per "sector" would be easily achievable. That would be a long time folding
SKeptical_Thinker

Postby user31415 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:54 pm

You can try running folding@home by going with Chrome to

http://folding.stanford.edu/nacl/
user31415

Postby 7im » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:33 pm

user31415 wrote:You can try running folding@home by going with Chrome to

http://folding.stanford.edu/nacl/

Since the last post in this thread was more than 8 years ago, I would guess the original question was already answered. Assuming they are still folding, they probably have different hardware, so no longer applies.

That being said, if the question was asked today, that nacl client would be a good answer.
7im

Postby JimboPalmer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:20 pm

No current Projects will fold on a 8800 GTS
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Next

Return to NVIDIA specific issues