New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Postby Xilikon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:03 pm

GoryanskyAleksey wrote:What if my NVidia cards are in the SLI mode? Can I use the total power in Folding by any manner?

You must disable SLI to make the client work. You can use the multi-GPU to use both cards for folding.
Xilikon

Postby tobor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:04 am

First,will an 8800 gts run allright with a 9800gtx?
I see in the guide to copy and paste the gpu folder.
I'm running the 9800 right now,when I copy and paste and rename the new folder should I delete the index file from the 9800?

thnx
tobor

Postby Spartan Erik » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Could you please clarify about the graphics/CUDA drivers for nVidia cards?

For example, I currently have these drivers installed for my 8800GT: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Q1: Would I have to uninstall the driver listed above, and install the CUDA drivers instead? Or do I keep my existing 175.19 driver and install the CUDA driver?
Q2: "1. CUDA driver 2. CUDA toolkit 3. CUDA SDK code samples" <--- do I need to download the toolkit or the dev kit?
Q3: Will having the CUDA driver negatively affect gameplay performance (i.e. Crysis, COD4, Gears of War, etc) when the F@H client is not running?

Thanks
Spartan Erik

Postby Xilikon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm

tobor : the contents of the gpu folder doesn't care which card you are running so you are free to copy without deleting the index file. However, if you already started folding with one card then add a new one later, you need to delete the data files in the APPDATA folder (including the work folder, queue.dat and the logs). Is that what you wanted to know ?

Spartan Erik : Good question here. The CUDA driver is a whole package so you don't need anything else. You can install over the old driver but it's suggested you uninstall the old, restart and install the new to avoid any possible issue. You don't need to download the toolkit or SDK code samples, just the driver. As for gaming with the CUDA driver, it seems there is no effect on gameplay performance. Matter of fact, the latest drivers now include CUDA by default to be used for the PhysX support, which is directly related to gaming.
Xilikon

Postby tobor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Xilikon wrote:tobor : the contents of the gpu folder doesn't care which card you are running so you are free to copy without deleting the index file. However, if you already started folding with one card then add a new one later, you need to delete the data files in the APPDATA folder (including the work folder, queue.dat and the logs). Is that what you wanted to know ?

thats it ...thnx
tobor

Postby Spartan Erik » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 pm

One last question, do points earned from WUs appear on the stats page (i.e. http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main ... partanerik )?
Spartan Erik

Postby Xilikon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:29 pm

Spartan Erik wrote:One last question, do points earned from WUs appear on the stats page (i.e. http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main ... partanerik )?

Yes, but give it 1-2 days to appear in some cases. Points isn't added until you complete a wu, not during processing.
Xilikon

Postby 7im » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Stats update every 1 to 3 hours. But X is correct, depending on work load, etc, it can take longer.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby JoanDoe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:45 am

Xilikon wrote:
GoryanskyAleksey wrote:What if my NVidia cards are in the SLI mode? Can I use the total power in Folding by any manner?

You must disable SLI to make the client work. You can use the multi-GPU to use both cards for folding.

My quadro plex work with the SLI mode enabled. Do the client use the 2 GPUs ?
Or the better way is to disable the SLI and launch 2 GPU clients ?
JoanDoe

Postby Ivoshiee » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:36 am

JoanDoe wrote:
Xilikon wrote:

My quadro plex work with the SLI mode enabled. Do the client use the 2 GPUs ?
No.
Yes.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby Gormar » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:39 am

JoanDoe wrote:My quadro plex work with the SLI mode enabled. Do the client use the 2 GPUs ?

F@H GPU client can't use SLI because nVidia's CUDA doesn't support it either.
Hint: Disable SLI and use as many F@H client as you have GPUs but remember to configure them correctly.
Gormar

Postby Fadamor » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Just to clarify, a single GPU client will work with the computer configured for SLI, but multi-GPU clients will not work. The second GPU isn't seen by the client when SLI is enabled.
Fadamor

Postby GoryanskyAleksey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Fadamor wrote:Just to clarify, a single GPU client will work with the computer configured for SLI, but multi-GPU clients will not work. The second GPU isn't seen by the client when SLI is enabled.

Just to understand. Is a SLI configuration going to perform faster then a single card?
May all beings be happy...

GoryanskyAleksey

Postby Xilikon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm

GoryanskyAleksey wrote:
Fadamor wrote:Just to clarify, a single GPU client will work with the computer configured for SLI, but multi-GPU clients will not work. The second GPU isn't seen by the client when SLI is enabled.

Just to understand. Is a SLI configuration going to perform faster then a single card?

for which task ?
Xilikon

Postby John Naylor » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:25 pm

For F@H, nope. The second (or third) GPU is not utilised by the client in SLI mode, so it runs as if you only had one card installed.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

PreviousNext

Return to NVIDIA specific issues