New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Postby GoryanskyAleksey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:34 pm

John Naylor wrote:For F@H, nope. The second (or third) GPU is not utilised by the client in SLI mode, so it runs as if you only had one card installed.

That's it. Thanks.
May all beings be happy...

GoryanskyAleksey

Postby TheJJJ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello

I have tree GPUs in my PC:
integrated nforce 750
geforce 8600gt
geforce 9800gtx
Vista 64 and current nvidia 180.84 beta Driver (already tried the 178 and 18.48, which had problems with activating all three cards)

I followed the multi-gpu guide and started the three links:
The first runs fine, and uses the 8600gt.
The second causes an error: At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver.
The third runs too, but also shows the 8600gt in 'display', but with a different animation - and wrong Team-ID.

There is the correnct team-id set in all the client.cfg files in the different data-folders.

Edit: With GPU-Z I just found out, that the first folding@home instance uses the 9800gtx, which is getting warmer, but it shows the 8600gt as acive card. Using the third instance, the 8600gt is used (and getting warmer.)

(Before I added one of the cards, I´m pretty sure folding@home already used the nforce 750.)

Anyone any ideas how to analyse the problem?

Greetings,

Al
TheJJJ

Postby leexgx » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:19 am

must likely short cuts not setup right

post the short cuts used + you need active monitors or dummyplugs on cards that are been folded on + desktop need extended onto them

if 9800gtx is takeing -gpu 0 then very likey the 8600gt may not fold (more likey short cut)

---------------------
had to read that 2-3 times

seems to be working ok then, onboard video card may not support folding
leexgx

Postby Xilikon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Guide now updated based on user feedback.
Xilikon

Postby 7im » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm

What was updated? Is there a change log? I'm sure we'd all like to know what was updated in case it affects how the client gets installed. Thanks.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Xilikon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:27 pm

7im wrote:What was updated? Is there a change log? I'm sure we'd all like to know what was updated in case it affects how the client gets installed. Thanks.

Nothing major, most changes is about text clarifications or adding more informations (like the passkey page link).
Xilikon

Postby codysluder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Just a couple of suggestions regarding missing information in the Multi-GPU section of the guide.

1) The multiple GPU section should work equally well for NVida and for ATI but it says you have to get the latest version of CUDA which is wrong for ATI.

2) Performance will sufferer if you mix GPUs with different numbers of shaders unless they're exact multiples of each other. (Matched GPUs are probably best.) e.g. - 96 shaders will probably work well with a 48 shader GPU but not with at 112. (I know this is true for NVidia. Somebody should check with the guys who know about ATI.)

3) Along the same lines, I suspect that you cannot mix GPU types. That would explain why the GTX200 series will not work with the 8800/9800 series. Different drivers. :!:
codysluder

Postby Xilikon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:56 pm

codysluder wrote:Just a couple of suggestions regarding missing information in the Multi-GPU section of the guide.

1) The multiple GPU section should work equally well for NVida and for ATI but it says you have to get the latest version of CUDA which is wrong for ATI.

2) Performance will sufferer if you mix GPUs with different numbers of shaders unless they're exact multiples of each other. (Matched GPUs are probably best.) e.g. - 96 shaders will probably work well with a 48 shader GPU but not with at 112. (I know this is true for NVidia. Somebody should check with the guys who know about ATI.)

3) Along the same lines, I suspect that you cannot mix GPU types. That would explain why the GTX200 series will not work with the 8800/9800 series. Different drivers. :!:

Thanks for the comment. I agree these points should be in the guide to warn people of potential headaches with mixing caards.
Xilikon

Postby Governator » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Now if we dual 295 users could get all 4 gpus running, these guides would be worth more than they are...
Governator

Postby jaak ennuste » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Governator wrote:Now if we dual 295 users could get all 4 gpus running, these guides would be worth more than they are...

Under Win Xp it walk in the park. Lot of such systems. Some of them:

http://atlasfolding.com/
http://estoniadonates.wordpress.com/

Jaak
building 32 GPU folding rig: 16 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 cards; dual PSU solution; 4 nodes.
Website: Estonia Donates, ambitious 400 PPD supercomputer project
Sponsored by AdlerFlow ceramic coated Porsche exhausts
jaak ennuste

Postby Governator » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:39 pm

jaak ennuste wrote:
Governator wrote:Now if we dual 295 users could get all 4 gpus running, these guides would be worth more than they are...

Under Win Xp it walk in the park. Lot of such systems. Some of them:

http://atlasfolding.com/
http://estoniadonates.wordpress.com/

Jaak
Thanks Jaak, I'll check it out. BTW do the console clients run any faster than the systray versions? Can you assign gpus with the console?
Governator

Postby MtM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Nope no speed diffrence, they use the same core. Only diffrence is when you would use the viewer on the console version.

Yes the console version accepts all flags you need for multi gpu's :)

Edit: I was just looking for the other thread about the guides, the one which was close to 18 pages or so but can't find it anymore. Reason is that those questions where asked and answerd before right there. Think that thread either got unstuck and replaced by this one or pruned.
Last edited by MtM on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtM

Postby Governator » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm

MtM wrote:Nope no speed diffrence, they use the same core. Only diffrence is when you would use the viewer on the console version.

Yes the console version accepts all flags you need for multi gpu's :)
Thanks MtM, much appreciated!
Governator

Postby MtM » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:01 pm

Wow edit before someone notices: should read 'use the viewer on the systray version' lol ;)

Think it was pretty selfexplaniatory considering the console doesn't come with the viewer though :oops:
MtM

Postby rick5127 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:56 pm

I guess I am going to have to go back and read the guide again.

I am about to install a second Nvidia card. I presently have a 8800gt folding away and am going to buy a 9800 GTX+ to add to it.

Someone here mentioned a performance degradation if the number of shaders were not an exact multiple??? is that true? and how much?

The guide only talks of installing the graphical version, I don't see any mention of the console version. Or did I miss it. I read it twice but am going back now but I swear it only talks of using the installer and such...
Semper Fi! USMC 67-71
website http://www.ricklafay.com
rick5127

PreviousNext

Return to NVIDIA specific issues