New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official GPU installation/configuration guides

Postby MtM » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Sorry Xillikon

When you are done editing each shortcut, click on the first shortcut and configure your client as demonstrated in the Systray installation guide above. The key things to make sure you do are :

On the Connection tab :

Click yes to accept WUs larger than 10 megabytes.
On the Advanced tab :

Check the Core Priority for Slightly Higher
Click do not lock cores to specific CPU
Make sure the Machine ID is different then any CPU or GPU client you have running. Note: default is 2

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc4

1. large wu setting isn't used for the gpu clients afaik.
2. Disable affinity lock? On default? Why? It's not recommended at all afaik.
3. And I'm not sure on this one, but you're using one executable with many shortcuts each using it's own data folder. I never done that as I would expect it *could* cause more problems then one executable for each data folder. All what is needed is one -> fahclient folder with executable + -> workfolder and then make copies of those, and add shortcuts to each executable. Don't even need to use local.
4. MachineID only depends on the number of other clients there is no default. It can be confusing to mention a default when there is none!

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, I''ll expect the same from you tomorrow ;)
MtM

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:14 pm

rick5127 wrote:Someone here mentioned a performance degradation if the number of shaders were not an exact multiple??? is that true? and how much?

Yes, it's true, and I'm not sure it is mentioned in the install guide (yet).

I suspect that the GPUs function as if they both had the lower number of shaders but I've never actually checked the speeds.
bruce

Postby MtM » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:27 pm

I can mix 64 and 94 shaders without to much impact if any at all, just the gso needs to be primary detected by the mobo or the impact on the gso will be bigger. The order of cards is just as important afaik from own testing and what I heard. But I'm not sure, to many people complaining about it not working at all, and allot of 9800gtx+ people complaining about not being able to mix and match at all same as g200 cards not being able to mix and match with older cards ( again, as said by many but I can't check don't have them, but I seem to remember other people running combinations without to much issues so it's abit conflicting what is true and what was user error ).
MtM

Postby rick5127 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 am

Well yes I have confirmed at least in my setup. I have an 8800gt and a 9800GTX+ and they don't like each other. By themselves they turn around 4000 to 5500 ppd. Together they are 5000 & 2250 or so. I tried one on slot 1 and one on slot 2 of the motherboard, then I swapped them both. Didn't make any difference. By the way... both times they showed up in the same order in the hardware listing. Is there a different way to make one be GPU0 and the other GPU1? I assumed by slot but maybe not...

This is all on a MSI P7N motherboard, Windows XP Pro (32), 4 gig ram, etc etc.
Semper Fi! USMC 67-71
website http://www.ricklafay.com
rick5127

Postby MtM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:19 am

rick5127 wrote:Well yes I have confirmed at least in my setup. I have an 8800gt and a 9800GTX+ and they don't like each other. By themselves they turn around 4000 to 5500 ppd. Together they are 5000 & 2250 or so. I tried one on slot 1 and one on slot 2 of the motherboard, then I swapped them both. Didn't make any difference. By the way... both times they showed up in the same order in the hardware listing. Is there a different way to make one be GPU0 and the other GPU1? I assumed by slot but maybe not...

This is all on a MSI P7N motherboard, Windows XP Pro (32), 4 gig ram, etc etc.

On my p5wdh the primary slot is identified with 0 and the second one as 1, confirmed with enumerating cuda devices. I didn't test but I'm sure you can change that initial recognition by selecting primary output display, that would afaik make that card get listed first so programs which want to use full screen 3d know that's the primary card. I would expect if you put the gtx in the primary slot, reboot, power down, add the other card, it would make sure the gtx stays listed as the first gpu. If you have a bios which allows selecting primary slot this offcourse does not apply.

Looks to me like to many variables for saying 'this is how it works period' but it works for me, I expect newer boards with other bioses to behave diffrently. I can not select primary slot in bios, it's always the top slot.
MtM

Postby rick5127 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Hmmm.. I am not sure if I can or not. Will have to look at that. Since when I went into system hardware properties and clicked on video adapters it listed the 8800 first and 9800 second I assumed (I know, I know) that it was gpu0 but then when I swapped the cards in their slots it again listed the 8800 first. So that kind of confused me...

I will look into the bios thingy... I have GPUz on it so can look at the cards but haven't notice the designation of Whos on first...
rick5127

Postby MtM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm

rick5127 wrote:Hmmm.. I am not sure if I can or not. Will have to look at that. Since when I went into system hardware properties and clicked on video adapters it listed the 8800 first and 9800 second I assumed (I know, I know) that it was gpu0 but then when I swapped the cards in their slots it again listed the 8800 first. So that kind of confused me...

I will look into the bios thingy... I have GPUz on it so can look at the cards but haven't notice the designation of Whos on first...

I think I remember that changing primary output did not change the cuda index of cards, not sure. I would use CUDAZ not gpuz, I think both RT and GPUZ might use the designation of outputs where CUDAZ should use the cuda ordinals.
MtM

Postby Tzadiel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm

When I try to extend my desktop, and I click "Yes" in response to "Keep these Settings?", for some reason monitor 2 unchecks Extend Desktop. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Tzadiel

Postby MtM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Are you on vista? Then you need a dummy plug.
MtM

Postby mikeb12 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am

yeah , MtM's right, that's the behavior of the extended desktop when there is no monitor or dummy plug connected to the card. the check box shows, but won't stick. connect a monitor or dummy plug, and you should be good to go. I just use the secondary output of my main monitor, plug it in to extend the desktop, then unplug it. as long as you have power settings at high performance and "do not turn off monitor" as the power setting, then it will stick until it's rebooted.
mikeb12

Postby coolamasta » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am

Really handy guide for a noob like me, thanks :)
coolamasta

Postby mexpedip » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm

I am switching from an HD4850 to a 9800gtx+ tonight for folding. Do I need to...
1) uninstall the ATI drivers and
2) uninstall and reinstall the gpu folding app?

Thanks in advance for the help.
mexpedip

Postby 7im » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes.
Yes.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby mexpedip » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 pm

that was easy! Thanks for the help.
mexpedip

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:49 am

And, if you have a WU that's in progress, finish it or discard it. (Hint: Use -oneunit)
bruce

PreviousNext

Return to NVIDIA specific issues