Multi-GPU folding: Wrong motherboard?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Multi-GPU folding: Wrong motherboard?

Postby Tigerbiten » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:16 pm

NickRackham wrote:Quick question? ATI mobo, = crossfire, therefore 2 x nvidia won't work? will it? mobo assumes 2 x nvidia in SLI which is not supported on ATI crossfire boards! Just a thought!

It does not matter which MoBo you get.
You don't want to use either Crossfire or SLI, just the vid cards.
The whole idea behind Crossfire and SLI is to combine two or more vidio cards into one device to improve the output.
But if you do that, then the drivers only see one vid card and hence you can only run one client.
Not the one client per card you could if Crossfire/SLI was disabled.

I run multiple nVidia cards on an ATI MoBo with no troubles.

Luck ......... :D
Tigerbiten

Postby NickRackham » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:04 pm

OK :) Assumed that as it's a ATI mobo it's assuming 2 cards are therefore ATI :) so wouldn't recognise 2nd NVIDIA card! oh well, was just a thought ;)
NickRackham

Postby Christopher N. Lewis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi susato

I'm having similar problems. Did you ever find a solution?
Folding for my father
Christopher N. Lewis

Postby ei57 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:12 pm

After uninstalling Nvidia drivers and on reboot, kill the "found new hardware wizard.
Assuming you have the executable Nvidia drivers (NVIDIADisplayWin2k(178_08)Int.exe or some other version) somewhere on a HD or memorystick, doubleclick it and run through the installation.
The GPU2 client should be able to run on both cards whether you choose to reboot as instructed or not.

Happy folding!
ei57

Postby susato » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks for the followups Christopher and ei57. For now I'm still running a single card on that system, with a classic F@H unit running at around 60% of a core to occupy the rest of the dual-core CPU. Just haven't had the time to play with it again. I may have been contributing to the problem by failing to reboot Windows after every hardware change, driver install or driver uninstall. (Linux and OSX don't require this but apparently it's standard operating procedure for Windows, as ei57 indicates above)

ei57, do you recommend using "driver sweeper" or any other helper program for uninstalling?
susato
Site Moderator

Postby ei57 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:41 pm

susato wrote:ei57, do you recommend using "driver sweeper" or any other helper program for uninstalling?

I've only used the "Add or Remove Programs" in XP for uninstall and rebooted. I added a second gpu in this PC about a week ago and if my memory is correct, I didn't reboot after driver install until today. When installing new drivers, I clicked "yes" to overwrite old files. There should be no need of other SW to clean out old mess.

You will probably have to set up the display and extend Windows to the second gpu. I don't remember if I had a dummy connector attached to the second card, but I think not.

Remember to add -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 in Additional Client Parameters in the Advanced section in config.
ei57

Postby Christopher N. Lewis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:06 pm

I've finally sorted out my machines, the problem was from a competely unexpected source. Take a look at this thread http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6886, it may give you some inspiration.

Christopher
Christopher N. Lewis

Postby jonidimo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Christopher N. Lewis wrote:I've finally sorted out my machines, the problem was from a competely unexpected source. Take a look at this thread http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6886, it may give you some inspiration.

Christopher

'The requested topic does not exist.'
jonidimo

Postby Joe_H » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:59 pm

The link was to a topic location from 9 or more years ago. It probably has moved or been deleted since then. Most likely the information is no longer applicable to more recent hardware or software.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Another possibility: When moderators merge topics of the same subject, one threadID is retained and the other no longer exists.

When I merge topics, I do consider that process and do make an attempt to aim known references at the persistent topic number. I don't guarantee my efforts are 100%.

Is there an open ticket to correct this at phpBB?
bruce

Postby ComputerGenie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 am

bruce wrote:...Is there an open ticket to correct this at phpBB?
Given that the EOL for 3.0.10(the versioning that the installed themes have) was November 2015, probably not. :roll:
ComputerGenie

Previous

Return to NVIDIA specific issues