Overclocking shaders?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Overclocking shaders?

Postby p2501 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:45 am

As the topic suggests, is there any possibility to independently overclock core, shader and memory? I'm asking because my shaders scale higher than core will reach. :?
p2501

Re: Overclocking shaders?

Postby MtM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:58 am

Since this is the linux section, http://www.linuxhardware.org/nvclock/ or unlikely as ati can't oc shaders seperate http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/517 ... linux.html :?:
MtM

Postby p2501 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Tried nvclock already, it's only able to clock mem and core. Anything else? That tool for Ati cards looks nice, but I guess something like that isn't available for nv, right? :(
p2501

Postby MtM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:59 pm

I thought it clocked shaders as well ( but after reading I realise it only uses linked overclocking ), sorry.

Maybe obvious but I would try to find the max clocks with windows and then just flash those clocks to bios. But that's assuming you're comfortable with bios flashing ( flashed enough gpu's here it's really not that hard, and if you got a dual gpu system you can always fix a bad flash ( even with one card it's possible but it's a blind flash then something I haven't done yet either )).
MtM

Postby Flathead74 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm

p2501,

EVGAPrecision will overclock the core, memory, and shaders independent of each other.

http://www.evga.com/PRecision/
Last edited by Flathead74 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flathead74

Postby MtM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm

C'mon flathead ;)

Windows XP 32/64, Vista 32/64 or 7 32/64

And this is the gpu under wine section so he wants a linux tool ( I don't think wine runs precission... or does it?? )
MtM

Postby JackOfAll » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:48 pm

p2501 wrote:Tried nvclock already, it's only able to clock mem and core. Anything else? That tool for Ati cards looks nice, but I guess something like that isn't available for nv, right? :(

The reality is that under Linux, the only real way of chaning shader speed independently of core and mem clock is, is to dump the video card bios with nvflash, edit the shader clock with NiBiTor and flash it back onto the card with nvflash. That's what I do. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.
Folding on Linux - Fedora 11 x86_64 / nVidia 180.60 driver / CUDA 2.1
JackOfAll

Postby MtM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:49 pm

JackOfAll wrote:
p2501 wrote:Tried nvclock already, it's only able to clock mem and core. Anything else? That tool for Ati cards looks nice, but I guess something like that isn't available for nv, right? :(

The reality is that under Linux, the only real way of chaning shader speed independently of core and mem clock is, is to dump the video card bios with nvflash, edit the shader clock with NiBiTor and flash it back onto the card with nvflash. That's what I do. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

MtM wrote:Maybe obvious but I would try to find the max clocks with windows and then just flash those clocks to bios. But that's assuming you're comfortable with bios flashing ( flashed enough gpu's here it's really not that hard, and if you got a dual gpu system you can always fix a bad flash ( even with one card it's possible but it's a blind flash then something I haven't done yet either )).

:biggrin:
MtM

Postby Flathead74 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:51 pm

oops... my mistake.

As suggested, it can be used with Windows to help find the maximum overclock though.
Flathead74

Postby JackOfAll » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 pm

MtM wrote:
MtM wrote:Maybe obvious but I would try to find the max clocks with windows and then just flash those clocks to bios. But that's assuming you're comfortable with bios flashing ( flashed enough gpu's here it's really not that hard, and if you got a dual gpu system you can always fix a bad flash ( even with one card it's possible but it's a blind flash then something I haven't done yet either )).

:biggrin:

Sorry, missed your post before I opened my big mouth! :)
JackOfAll

Postby p2501 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, then I can conclude that for now I can't be helped, since I'm running a GTX295 single pcb which will only be supported from nibitor 5.3 onwards. Thanks for all inputs, I've got my trusty usb boot stick ready with both bioses+nvflash and I know my max values from windoze already (flathead74, yes I used precision on windows). Haven't gotten the folding to work anyway atm, ArchLinux is acting up (read: I don't know enough about Linux folding to get rid of my problem yet). =)
p2501

Postby JackOfAll » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 pm

p2501 wrote:Well, then I can conclude that for now I can't be helped, since I'm running a GTX295 single pcb which will only be supported from nibitor 5.3 onwards. Thanks for all inputs, I've got my trusty usb boot stick ready with both bioses+nvflash and I know my max values from windoze already (flathead74, yes I used precision on windows). Haven't gotten the folding to work anyway atm, ArchLinux is acting up (read: I don't know enough about Linux folding to get rid of my problem yet). =)

PM me your email address and I'll send you NiBiTor 5.3 which I've already used to overclock my single PCB 295's. See here. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7902&start=225#p110082

P.S. I take absolutely no responsibility for flashing your GTX295. It worked for me, but if you brick your card, you're on your own!
JackOfAll

Postby p2501 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 am

Sooooo, apart from getting gpu folding on linux to work (for which JackOfAll was incredibly helpful even though he doesn't seem to have much time on his hands), what nice value do I need to set to have the gpu's work together nicely with smp?

Up to now I tried 5 and 0 for 'nice -n X', but I can still hear folding being not being continuous on the gpu's, and points are not up to notch with what the cards reached on windoze. For values below 0 I'd need to sudo, but then I get an error that my users wine directory is not owned by root.

In which way did you guys set it up?
p2501

Postby El_Mago_Peppins » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm

JackOfAll wrote:
p2501 wrote:Well, then I can conclude that for now I can't be helped, since I'm running a GTX295 single pcb which will only be supported from nibitor 5.3 onwards. Thanks for all inputs, I've got my trusty usb boot stick ready with both bioses+nvflash and I know my max values from windoze already (flathead74, yes I used precision on windows). Haven't gotten the folding to work anyway atm, ArchLinux is acting up (read: I don't know enough about Linux folding to get rid of my problem yet). =)

PM me your email address and I'll send you NiBiTor 5.3 which I've already used to overclock my single PCB 295's. See here.
Code: Select all
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7902&start=225#p110082

P.S. I take absolutely no responsibility for flashing your GTX295. It worked for me, but if you brick your card, you're on your own!

please send me it :|
El_Mago_Peppins

Postby Lotuspec » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:40 am

PM me your email address and I'll send you NiBiTor 5.3 which I've already used to overclock my single PCB 295's. See here.

thanx for the hint
Lotuspec

Return to unOfficial Linux GPU (WINE wrapper) (3rd party support)