Native GPU client in GPU3?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Native GPU client in GPU3?

Postby Mindmatter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:35 am

Anyone hear if GPU 3 will have native Linux support? Looking at the OpenMM download site I can see the three major platforms are supported. Can anyone close to the developers fill us in on any plans?

https://simtk.org/project/xml/downloads ... oup_id=161
Mindmatter

Re: Native GPU client in GPU3?

Postby toTOW » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:46 am

Nothing has been announced ... so we don't know yet.
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby kromberg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 pm

For the love of God I certainly hope so. I do not understand why it is so complicated for linux not to have one......
Last edited by kromberg on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kromberg

Postby dschief » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

kromberg wrote:For the love of Gad I certainly hope so. I do not understand why it is so complicated for linux not to have one......

My sentiments exactly, I've got 3 boxes with Intel Quads running the SMP client. I'd throw GTX275's in them in a New York heartbeat,
dschief

Postby fpsasm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

For the love of God I certainly hope so. I do not understand why it is so complicated for linux not to have one......

Its not, its just that windows is a monopoly, and people dont want to "waste" time programming for it.. even though its several times faster then windows for.. everything
For folding, not for ppd.
fpsasm

Postby powerarmour » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Would be great to have a native Linux GPU client, but to be fair I think the Wine wrapper setup correctly works very good indeed.

Obviously even with Wine your still pretty much screwed if you want to fold with an ATI card, so in that case there would still be a wait for a version of OpenMM to support OpenCL on ATI... :(
powerarmour

Postby 7im » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:21 am

fpsasm wrote:

Its not, its just that windows is a monopoly, and people dont want to "waste" time programming for it.. even though its several times faster then windows for.. everything

Everything? Fah folds the same speed in Windows vs. Linux. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby v00d00 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Not all the time.

Sometimes there can be differences. Presumably due to all the extra crap that windows runs in the background. Also the frame times can definitely be quicker on linux when you run it without a gui.

So i would have to say linux and windows give roughly the same frame times, but not always.
v00d00

Postby Ivoshiee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Linux vs Windows debate will always boil down to politics and personal preferences. At first sight we do have some hope for native GPU3 client for Linux, but I would not be that enthusiastic about it - from my past experiences there aren't that much PG folks who are that much in love with Linux. At least what does come to end-user coding (that is the client side of things we talk here). If to stretch it a bit then the Linux client is just a relict from a past what usually tends to work, but from time to time will clash with Glibc & Co. and I've seen a sentiment from PG to drop Linux support altogether. I do hope that Linux client is here to stay, but I am not that enthusiastic.
But as OpenMM does support Linux then there is always hope for native GPU3 client for that platform.
Btw: MacOSX does have devoted "lover(s)" within PG, so that platform will most likely get a native GPU3 client, if GPU drivers and other supporting libraries on that platform are capable of supporting it. I haven't checked it lately but they should.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby VijayPande » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:58 pm

It's strange you say that. Just about everything we do is first done with Linux, with the only exception of the GPU client (which is why we lead with Windows there, since Windows support for things like CUDA is generally more mature than linux support); please don't generalize from the GPU client to everything else, since it is different in many ways. In fact, we have plans for how to make Linux play an even more prominent role, but I'll give more info on that a bit later (sorry for the teaser, but you'll see what I mean when I make some announcements hopefully ~6 months from now).
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Postby Ivoshiee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:25 pm

VijayPande wrote:It's strange you say that. Just about everything we do is first done with Linux, with the only exception of the GPU client (which is why we lead with Windows there, since Windows support for things like CUDA is generally more mature than linux support); please don't generalize from the GPU client to everything else, since it is different in many ways. In fact, we have plans for how to make Linux play an even more prominent role, but I'll give more info on that a bit later (sorry for the teaser, but you'll see what I mean when I make some announcements hopefully ~6 months from now).

Good to hear that I am wrong.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Postby fractal » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:17 am

VijayPande wrote:...In fact, we have plans for how to make Linux play an even more prominent role, but I'll give more info on that a bit later ...

No hurry. Take your time. And please do make sure you test x-less. One thing I really like about linux/cuda is I can run text mode on the on-board video and have all the CUDA cards running just cuda. Frees up a bit more of the GPU for GPU'ing and doesn't waste the processor drawing purdy pictures. At least, I can on other linux/cuda GPU folding projects..
fractal

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 am

I wouldn't worry about FAH requiring X. In my experience, FAH clients have generally provided two forms, a GUI version and a Text version, or if there's only one version, it has been Text only. It's reasonable to assume that whatever Dr. Pande is hinting about will have a text only version.

Pretty pictures have always been optional -- provided they actually work. FAH has not had an outstanding record of making GUI clients that work well, though it seems that the Windows NV version is pretty good. (The only real exception has been the PS3 client which has excellent graphics and no text version -- but it was probably written mostly by Sony, and it was designed for a game-console environment.)
bruce

Postby DocJonz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

***Dreaming*** Native GPU client for Linux? Sweet :ewink:
DocJonz

Postby assasn1 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:09 am

It would save us, linux users, ALOT of work!
assasn1

Next

Return to unOfficial Linux GPU (WINE wrapper) (3rd party support)