are all current GPU3 projects only for fermi?

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

are all current GPU3 projects only for fermi?

Postby pbj » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 pm

For the last several weeks, I've only been getting work for fahcore_11. A few weeks back, I did get some fahcore_15 work, so I am guessing my setup is OK. should I be getting gpu3 work these days?

GT240 running GPU3 6.31 from Wine 1.2, using cuda 3.0, and nvidia 256.35 from xubuntu 9.04

thanks
pbj

Re: are all current GPU3 projects only for fermi?

Postby PantherX » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:05 pm

No experience with Wine but generally speaking; some GPU3 WUs are specific to Fermi, some to Non-Fermi and some can run on either GPU without any issues.

My guess is that since GPU2 Client is being phased out in favor of GPU3 BETA Client, maybe PG wants to finish the majority of GPU2 WUs so that they can concentrate on new GPU3 Projects since they will know that majority of donors may already have upgraded to GPU3 BETA Client (maybe a blog announcement informing of the change). Do remember the Fermi GPUs can't fold FahCore_11 WUs while Non-Fermi GPUs can fold either FahCore_11 or FahCore_15 WUs.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby toTOW » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:40 pm

There should be plenty of work for non Fermi GPU3 clients : http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news-0-30 ... -weeks.php ;)
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby pbj » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:16 pm

thanks for the comments.

is anyone else running GPU3 with non-fermi hardware currently getting fahcore_15 work?

at least my card is not sitting idle. it's getting plenty of fahcore_11 work, so I am still doing science :D .
pbj

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 pm

There's currently only one active project for FahCore_15. If I were making the assignments, I suppose I'd reserve those WUs for the hardware than can run only that project. When there are plenty of active projects, then hardware that can run either FahCore should receive a mix of the two.

FahCore_11 work is "still doing science" but that statement might imply that there's something wrong with FahCore_11 work. It's still important work. Please don't imply that GPU3 work is automatically more important science -- but it's the only thing that Fermi can do so that makes it important to those with Fermi hardware. (And maybe that's not what you meant at all.)
bruce

Postby pbj » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks Bruce-

Please don't imply that GPU3 work is automatically more important science -- but it's the only thing that Fermi can do so that makes it important to those with Fermi hardware. (And maybe that's not what you meant at all.)

You are correct. I was not implying that at all.

I was merely trying to determine if I had a config error, and thus might not have been fully "exercising" GPU3.

My "still doing science" remark was meant to distinguish my questions from those on similar thread: some GPU3 users are not getting work units at all. I am getting work units. My workstation is running full time crunching whatever Stanford wants to send me. I assume they are all important.

Thanks again for your response.
pbj

Return to unOfficial Linux GPU (WINE wrapper) (3rd party support)