NVIDIA GPU3 Linux/Wine Headless Install Guide

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: NVIDIA GPU2 Linux/WINE Headless Install Guide

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:26 pm

tmoble wrote:System is an AMD quad 9600, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte 8800 with 256MB. I understand there's new WU's out that are slow. The first WU is a 5748, it's taking 2:15 to do a step, I'm used to the 5506 WUs that complete in about 1:10. Is this expected? almost 4 hours per WU?

Sounds about right. There are a few other threads complaining about the PPD drop for 5748 WUs.

tmoble wrote:Also n otice the GPU client is using very little processor, under 20% most of the time. Expected? It was killing a whole core before.

Yes, it behaves well. My test bed is a Pentium D 820 at 3.5GHz, and I'm seeing less than 20% processor usage too. I can run an SMP client at the same time without taking too much of a performance hit.
Hyperlife

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:29 pm

KE1HA wrote:Same Problem as my first attempt. Followed the guide to the letter, everything seemed to install without any problem or errors at all. I started the Client, all went as expected, filled in my details etc etc.

Then it's like slow motion. I checked top -d1, the Core is there running, using about 7% CPU, but little to know output from the GPU per the log.

Card: EVGA 9800 GT, Stock Clocks.

Any Ideas ?

Could you post your log from client startup to 5% complete?
Hyperlife

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:32 pm

osgorth wrote:Can someone please clarify if this works with multiple GPUs, and if so, if it works truly headless - i.e. without VGA dummies or anything like that? :)

My motherboard only has one PCI-E slot, so I can't test this. In theory it should work with multiple GPUs -- just make sure you use the -gpu flag (-gpu 0 for the first, -gpu 1 for the second, etc.) and give each client a separate Machine ID number.

If anyone succeeds at this, let me know, and I'll revise my guide.
Hyperlife

Postby shatteredsilicon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Yes, you specify the gpu with the -gpu <gpuid> parameter. It works headless, without dummy plugs required.
1x Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3-1333
1x Phenom X4 9950 @ 2.6GHz, 4GB DDR2-1066
3x GeForce 9800GX2
1x GeForce 8800GT
CentOS 5 x86-64, WINE 1.x with CUDA wrappers
shatteredsilicon

Postby tmoble » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Your log cuts off before the first 1%, how long did you let it go?

just for troubleshooting, try using nice -19, drop the -forceasm and -advmethods. -19 will give it higher priority, dropping the options will simplify things.
tmoble

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:00 pm

tmoble wrote:Your log cuts off before the first 1%, how long did you let it go?

just for troubleshooting, try using nice -19, drop the -forceasm and -advmethods. -19 will give it higher priority, dropping the options will simplify things.

Thanks for pointing this out -- I just noticed that my nice syntax is incorrect in the guide (I left the -n flag off), which means nice may not be having any effect as written. I'll fix this.

I'll do some testing with proper syntax and see if there is a PPD difference with varying nice levels. For now I'll pull the nice command from the guide, as leaving nice off gives the same PPD and processor usage as invoking it incorrectly.
Hyperlife

Postby Shadowtester » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:05 pm

osgorth wrote:Can someone please clarify if this works with multiple GPUs, and if so, if it works truly headless - i.e. without VGA dummies or anything like that? :)

Yes this will work with multiple gpu's you will need to add flags for the multiple gpu clients to identify them. And yes you do not need VGA dummy plugs or a monitor connected to the video card and you do not need to extend the desktop onto the second card like you have to do with windows those are a windows requirement.
Shadowtester

Shadowtester

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm

KE1HA wrote:--> Did a quick RE-Boot fo the system to maks sure nothing was amiss there.
--> After Boot: I started the client with
Code: Select all
nice -n 19 wine Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9

Did you run the cudainit script after rebooting?
Last edited by Hyperlife on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlife

Postby KE1HA » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:52 pm

EDIT: The procedure works great, all my issues were HW related so I'm removing allot of posts that are irrelevant.
Last edited by KE1HA on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2x - Q6600 1 with 2x 9800GT's / 1 with 2x 8800GTS G92 512's UB-8.04 CLI Only
2x - AMD 9850 1 with 3x 9800 GT's / 1 with 1x 9800 GT's UB-8.04 CLI Only
1x - QX9770 GTX-280 WinDoze Vista 64
KE1HA

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:09 pm

"nice -n 19" is actually the lowest priority. Try using "nice -n -19" instead:
nice -n -19 wine Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9

Edit: don't do this -- see following posts...
Last edited by Hyperlife on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlife

Postby jcfuller » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Hyperlife wrote:"nice -n 19" is actually the lowest priority. Try using "nice -n -19" instead:
nice -n -19 wine Folding@home-Win32-GPU.exe -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9

I just tried to stopped my client and had to reboot because I couldn't kill the client. That aside I used the above command to start and got access denied on nice??
Started it with just wine .... and it's running fine so far.
I started the smp client first and hopefully this time it will work. I got some kind of wine error on the gpu client the first time I tried to run both. I think I'll be overdue on the smp client but I'm not going to stop it now so I can test the stability of the gpu with the smp running.

James
jcfuller

Postby shatteredsilicon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Don't ever set things to priority above about -5. At -19 everything else will come second, so the process will take over your machine and you won't be able to use it any more. Run the client at LOW priority. About +10. And if you're running the SMP client as well, run that at +19. There is no need whatsoever to run the client at high priority it won't achieve anything.
shatteredsilicon

Postby Hyperlife » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 pm

shatteredsilicon wrote:Don't ever set things to priority above about -5. At -19 everything else will come second, so the process will take over your machine and you won't be able to use it any more. Run the client at LOW priority. About +10. And if you're running the SMP client as well, run that at +19. There is no need whatsoever to run the client at high priority it won't achieve anything.

Thanks for pointing this out -- I forgot the proper range of numbers used in nice-ing an app. Need more sleep...

Just using nice without a number will give it a +10 priority by default. Right now I'm running wine without nice-ing it (0 priority) and it's behaving itself.
Hyperlife

Postby rjwilmsi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:31 am

KE1HA wrote:Will Do.

Here's what Im doing, just for clarity:
--> Stopping the SMP Clients :e(
--> Droping all flags apart from verbosity

Will Post the results of startup, then 30 minutes later where I should have at least 5 segments completed even if it's painfully slow.

I had the same problem with very slow folding. Solution was to switch to the first generation wrapper (see twomurs wiki page (forum won't let me post link to it...)) as apparently my 2.6.23 kernel on opensuse 10.3 isn't a 'high resolution kernel' so the second gen wrapper doesn't work with it. I'm now getting ~3000 PPD with an 8800GT and CPU capped at 60% of an AMD 4600, compared to ~4500 PPD on native Windows (but no CPU cap).
rjwilmsi

Postby Hyperlife » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:09 am

rjwilmsi wrote:I had the same problem with very slow folding. Solution was to switch to the first generation wrapper (see twomurs wiki page (forum won't let me post link to it...)) as apparently my 2.6.23 kernel on opensuse 10.3 isn't a 'high resolution kernel' so the second gen wrapper doesn't work with it. I'm now getting ~3000 PPD with an 8800GT and CPU capped at 60% of an AMD 4600, compared to ~4500 PPD on native Windows (but no CPU cap).

Hmm... Ubuntu 8.10 comes with version 2.6.27 of the kernel, so it should have the high resolution timer enabled.

KE1HA, can you check to see if your kernel has support for the high resolution timer? Enter this command:
egrep "(hrtimer_interrupt|hres_active)" /proc/timer_list

You should see something like the following (the repetitions appear if you have a multi-core CPU):
  .hres_active    : 1
  .hres_active    : 1
 event_handler:  hrtimer_interrupt
 event_handler:  hrtimer_interrupt
Hyperlife

PreviousNext

Return to unOfficial Linux GPU (WINE wrapper) (3rd party support)