Server reports problem with unit.

The most demanding Projects are only available to a small percentage of very high-end servers.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Server reports problem with unit.

Postby ocw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 am

Sorry that I did not mention I used psmax to accelerate the speed of folding. The first 2 8101 after using psmax sent out without problem. The 2nd 2 8101 did report problem as mentioned in previous posts. However after these 2 WUs, there haven't been any problem since then. Still cannot identify what had caused the problem.
ocw

Postby P5-133XL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 am

If you had mentioned it I probably wouldn't have separated out the psmax comments into their own thread. I thought they were totally off-topic.

You do realize that psmax is just a new way to OC and as such may cause intermittent failures just like OC'ing...
P5-133XL

Postby ocw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:43 am

P5-133XL wrote:If you had mentioned it I probably wouldn't have separated out the psmax comments into their own thread. I thought they were totally off-topic.

You do realize that psmax is just a new way to OC and as such may cause intermittent failures just like OC'ing...

I don't think other people who have the same problem using psmax. And maybe it's only me that use psmax.
ocw

Postby bollix47 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 am

Sorry about the confusion.

I had suspected ocw was using TurionPowerControl and psmax 1 when I asked the question:

Are you running any software that might be causing the CPUs to run faster than advertised?

Unfortunately ocw did not respond and it wasn't until quickz posted that I realized my suspicion was probably correct.

Having a specific and separate thread for the 62xx crowd to discuss tpc might be useful for anyone giving it a try and wanting to report problems and solutions related to folding. However, other problems might be more appropriate in the forums(hardforum and amdzone) where tpc is being discussed.
bollix47

Postby bollix47 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Looking at the following post from earlier in this thread and his logs in previous posts it can be seen that ocw tried to return both work units the day after they were returned by other folders:

viewtopic.php?p=222112#p222112

That in itself may have caused the error message, but I can't be certain.

The questions now arise "Why was ocw assigned these two work units in the first place when they were already being processed by other folders?" and "Why did it happen on two different computers, both belonging to ocw?"

I'm fairly certain if other bigadv folders were getting duplicate work units and they were losing points we would hear from them rather loudly. :ewink:

@quickz: Thanks for pointing this out in a PM.
bollix47

Postby ocw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:08 pm

bollix47 wrote:Looking at the following post from earlier in this thread and his logs in previous posts it can be seen that ocw tried to return both work units the day after they were returned by other folders:

viewtopic.php?p=222112#p222112

That in itself may have caused the error message, but I can't be certain.

The questions now arise "Why was ocw assigned these two work units in the first place when they were already being processed by other folders?" and "Why did it happen on two different computers, both belonging to ocw?"

I'm fairly certain if other bigadv folders were getting duplicate work units and they were losing points we would hear from them rather loudly. :ewink:

@quickz: Thanks for pointing this out in a PM.

In fact, I lost 3 8101s. As one of the 8101 was completed by a new built 6172, I did not report this unit in this forum as I did not sure what caused the problem.

I have been folding every day except machine broke down since July 2005. I had experienced many different problems in folding. I can remember those days with servers broke down and Pande Group worked days and nights to re-credit the points to the folders.

There are always bugs and by reporting the problem, I hope to improve the software / hardware of folding.
ocw

Previous

Return to SMP with bigadv