Anything new for bigadv coming

The most demanding Projects are only available to a small percentage of very high-end servers.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New bigadv projects

Postby Nathan_P » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Well there are some 8102 and 6901 still around, i still haven't seen a 6904/5 though
Nathan_P

Re: Anything new for bigadv coming

Postby cordis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 am

Hey, I just got a couple of 8103 WUs this week. Interesting, seems to score like an 8102. I'm surprised that there don't seem to be any announcements about them. No complaints, though, I do like seeing something new! :D
cordis

Postby 7im » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:26 am

Beta projects don't get announced in public. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=24053

As mentioned before, if you if you are interested in testing new projects, you should probably join the beta team.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Amaruk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:22 am

Projects going public unannounced is not that unusual, and 8103 has been on the public psummary for a while now.

As for 'seems to score like an 8102', I would not expect that to continue. SOURCE
Amaruk

Postby MaddMutt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 am

I know this is probably not a F@H problem but a MS BS red tape. Is there any chance of getting Bigadv up and running on a windows platform??????? I have finely got the funds to build an old Server using 4x AMD 8432's 6-core cpu's (24 cores total). My Complaint is that I have to use Linux x64 to get a Bigadv when I already have MS Server 2008 and 2008R2 x64. I know and under stand the MS OS and I'm not a programmer to be able to muck around inside Linux. I doubt that I will get a responce back on this post :(
Thank you guys for all the work that you are putting into the x17 core, my 7950's are finely paying off in that area :)

Thank You For Your Time
KOREAN WAR: When asked why Major General Oliver P. Smith's 1st Marine Division was retreating after being surrounded by 10 Chinese Division's

HE REPLIED: "Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."
MaddMutt

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:55 am

MaddMutt wrote:Is there any chance of getting Bigadv up and running on a windows platform???????

There's always a chance but IMHO it's a pretty slim one.

FAH had a number of projects that needed more concentrated processing power. Given the hardware and software that was available at that time, bigadv was invented. The projects were so intense that they'd only be finished in a reasonable amount if a large number of cores were available on SMP machines. The FahCores were developed and tested and the WUs started being distributed. Windows 32-bit soon ran into problems with memory allocation. Very few home users were running Windows-64 while a significant number of Linux users were already running 64-bit code with access to plenty of RAM. Development contniued on Linux and more and more projects were released to Linux-64 only. Meanwhile fewer projects fit the 32-bit Windows limitation and eventually there weren't any more.

Meanwhile, was were plenty of hardware that could process the old projects and simultaneously science needed to work on even bigger without any increase in the deadlines so fewer client machines were needed to do them.

Many other things have changed, too. While there are more Win-64 systems today, the science environment has changed, too. It seems likely that bigadv is past it's prime. It's still meeting an important need, but there are a lot of OTHER needs, too, and the Pande Group needs to keep it all in balance.

Core17 has proved that GPUs can do a lot. How will the collective power of the GPUs compare to the collective power of the current bigadv projects? More? Less? Different? Those are still an unanswered questions, but new investment in software for GPU cores is ongoing and the investment in bigadv doesn't seem to be. At this time, it's impossible to predict what will happen next.
bruce

Postby 7im » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 am

Work on newer fahcores never stops. But development cycles depend on third parties like gromacs.org. So we wait patiently for new features and watch the blog for any updates.
Last edited by 7im on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
7im

Postby Napoleon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 am

MaddMutt wrote:Is there any chance of getting Bigadv up and running on a windows platform??????? I have finely got the funds to build an old Server using 4x AMD 8432's 6-core cpu's (24 cores total). My Complaint is that I have to use Linux x64 to get a Bigadv when I already have MS Server 2008 and 2008R2 x64. I know and under stand the MS OS and I'm not a programmer to be able to muck around inside Linux.

No way to dodge Linux, but how about running Linux in a VM under Windows as a compromise? Heck, if I can run VMware player on a friggin' Atom330 (Win7 64bit Ultimate), server grade HW and Windows shouldn't have any problems. I liked CentOS minimal for my VM. Small, no nonsense Text User Interface only. Once you've set up the VM and installed Linux on it, pretty much all the Linux specific knowledge you need to get it up and running is how to download the tarball console only FahClient, unzip the .tar.bz2 (tar xjvf <filename>), configure FAHClient and run the client. You can control the client "remotely" by running FahControl on the Windows host OS. Note that I set up the 32bit version only because I had to test some 32bit stuff.

Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
Napoleon

Postby kasson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm

We don't want to make promises as to capabilities or timelines, but we do have some new code in development. (It's not currently in my hands, as I did a chunk of development and passed it off to another core F@H group a while back, so I don't really have a sense of ETA.)
kasson
Pande Group Member

Previous

Return to SMP with bigadv