Not receiving WU on 4P

The most demanding Projects are only available to a small percentage of very high-end servers.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Not receiving WU on 4P

Postby bollix47 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:08 am

The first one ... no difficulties ... very simple ... yes I used thekraken with v7.
bollix47

Postby Bill1024 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:00 am

When you ran v7, was that on the Musky install and the only thing you changed was v6 to v7?
Or did you use a different distribution of Linux?
I could not find where in the Stanford install guide it gave instructions on the kracken installation.
I thought v7 had it's own wrapper built in, does it not?

To the original OPs problem, I haven't had any delay in getting a new WU.
It takes 4 min. from the time 100 comp. to starting a new WU includes up and download times.
It's good to report good things once in a while, but no news is good news.
Bill1024

Postby 7im » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 am

tear wrote:
tear wrote:The issue has been analyzed and is now understood.

Langouste 15.18, to be released this weekend, will incorporate automatic workaround for the issue.

If PG is interested in details, I'm available at tear@braxis.org.

Cheers,
tear

As promised, Langouste 15.18 is available -- see the announcement for details.

Sadly, workaround for V7 client is not available nor there are plans to provide one.

Please explain how the workaround functions.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby tear » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 am

My contact information is still accurate!
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
tear

Postby bollix47 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:31 am

Bill1024 wrote:When you ran v7, was that on the Musky install and the only thing you changed was v6 to v7?
Or did you use a different distribution of Linux?
I could not find where in the Stanford install guide it gave instructions on the kracken installation.
I thought v7 had it's own wrapper built in, does it not?

Until recently I had been using v7 on the same computer with the same o/s for months. I switched over to v6 just to gather some comparative data and will be switching back to v7 once my testing is finished. I prefer having the ability of v7's FAHControl to monitor and control all my clients/slots from my main computer. I will let v6 run for a few months so that the HFM averages are for multiple work units.
The instructions for installing thekraken when using v7 are in thekraken's README.txt file.
Yes, v7 does have it's own wrapper but that didn't appear to affect thekraken's ability to perform it's 'magic' and I did confirm that dynamic load balancing was occurring and that thekraken's wrapper was being used. I did try v7 without thekraken quite some time ago and there was a noticeable speedup(minutes not just a few seconds) after installing thekraken.
bollix47

Postby 7im » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Bill1024 wrote:...

Support for third party applications are provided by that third party, not Stanford.
7im

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Bollix47 you can use ssh to control all of you boxen on Linux from any computer you choose everything was pre installed with the image. Just type ssh then the boxes IP address (x.x.x.x) in a terminal window, and the install you used has HFM in it you just need to run the command to install it ( sudo hfminstall ) so you can easily monitor the rigs from 1 computer. I monitor and control all of my boxen from my DD I set up a webpage to monitor FAH from anywhere, it can be set up to control the boxen from work or anywhere else you wish. :wink:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103 ... ostcount=7
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
Grandpa_01

Postby 7im » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 pm

HFM works with V7 as well.
7im

Postby bollix47 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Grandpa_01.

Yes, I can create a terminal using ssh and log in to the remote computer but the abilities are somewhat less elegant than v7's FAHControl. With FAHControl running on my main computer I can pause any remote slot, make configuration changes (most changes don't even require a pause) and start the slot again. I can set it to Finish without stopping the client/slot. I can see a description of the project that I'm working on without having to open Project Summary in a browser and click on it's description. With v6 I know of only one safe way to change the configuration or to finish the work unit and that's to shut down the client, make the configuration change and restart the client or restart it with -oneunit. There's more but this is not what my testing is about. I'm not trying to convince anyone that one version is better than the other. I was very impressed with the work Musky has done on the fahinstall script. I've always used tear's thekraken and have been pleased with the performance increases. For me using v7 is a personal choice and I need to be able to support it now and in the future.

I have no need for HFM on the remote since it's already installed on my main Windows computer and working just fine and yes my HFM stats are also being displayed on an internet webpage.

Please keep in mind the purpose of my testing is to establish some PPD comparative data to determine if there's something amiss in v7 that is affecting it's performance and nothing more. I'm not trying to find the fastest possible times or which version of linux gets the best results. The testing is being performed on the same hardware and o/s and the only difference is the folding version. So far I've seen no difference in performance that can't be explained simply because of different work units but my testing is still in it's very early stages and my earlier post will be updated as I get more data.

My apologies to the OP for moving OT a bit but questions have been raised in this thread that require some factual testing.
bollix47

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm

7im wrote:HFM works with V7 as well.

Yes it does but can you download the package and type sudo fahinstall then sudo hfminstall and have a client that is set up with the wrapper and HFM that will out preform the basic installs by quite a margin in tpf and ppd, and is extremely easy to set up, run and monitor. As I said before it is optimized for bigadv folding on MP rigs and it will speed up science results by quite a bit. Is that not the wanted end results of FAH :wink:

The initial problem reported by the OP has now been taken care of in the v6 as far as I know of that was the last problem v6 had / has, I am sure that if anything else comes up it will be fixed in short order. 8-)
Grandpa_01

Postby Bill1024 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Maybe ver7 in of itself is not the reason for the TPF being different than the v6 install from [H], it is all the extras.
The Stanford install is just to get the client installed and running, nothing more.
As Bollix said and I have stated there is a huge difference in performance when adding extra "things" to the installation. Minutes not just seconds.
Things like the Kracken, folding on a ram drive, Langouste, smaller lighter distribution of Linux..................
All I am thinking is why not make the install guide more detailed with suggestions of the other things needed for faster time frames?
Work something out with Tear and the others to make things better. He gave his e-mail and offered to help..
Ask them why v6 is in their guide and not v7, why is it easier to work with, maybe you can make v7 better?
I honestly find the [H] guide so easy and user friendly with zero problems and much faster TPF on the work units
Thanks everyone for all you do to help find cures.
Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate.
Bill1024

Postby sc0tty8 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 pm

The H image also has a tweaked kernel as well. It truly is a turn-key fah on linux install. It will take you longer to write the image to your device, then it will to boot, setup client, and hold.

Only way I will ever willingly move to V7 is if the H image supports it. I have 4 gpu I will not fold with because V7 sucks that much.
sc0tty8

Postby Bill1024 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:26 pm

sc0tty8 wrote:The H image also has a tweaked kernel as well. It truly is a turn-key fah on linux install. It will take you longer to write the image to your device, then it will to boot, setup client, and hold.

True, and it fits on and runs off a 8gb thumb drive to save space and $$.
It can work off any regular or SSD as well, I myself like to use old 80gb veloci-raptors for the speed up of boot time and command input response.
It is Ubuntu 12xx fyi.

WooHoo Just hit 50 posts in five and a half years!!!!
Bill1024

Postby 7im » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Not helping to improve V7 and hiding your heads in the sand with v6 is short sighted. It will be going end of life sooner than later like all versions before it have. Caveat Folder.
7im

Postby Grandpa_01 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 pm

I personally believe v7 is good for smp and gpu folding, I use it on 3 of my rigs which run smp and GPU both Linux and Windows versions of it, the seven dedicated multi processor rigs all use the v6 image refereed to by the OP due to it's optimizations ease of setup and better performance. But comparing v6 to v7 for mainstream folding there really is no difference in performance it is strictly preference there.
Grandpa_01

PreviousNext

Return to SMP with bigadv