The End of BigAdv in 2015 ... Really? Curecoin - Hello !?!

The most demanding Projects are only available to a small percentage of very high-end servers.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: The End of BigAdv in 2015 ... Really? Curecoin - Hello !

Postby JimF » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:52 pm

I am an innocent (more or less) bystander here, since I don't do BigAdv at all, only GPUs. But that is because I have worked in the semiconductor industry and know how fast things can change. On the other hand, we may be stuck at 28nm longer than most people anticipated, and 20nm may be a stretch. So the reason I use GPUs is that they can be easily swapped out (or not) as the need arises, or doesn't. If you want to buy fancy motherboards with whatever Intel is selling, I am sure their stockholders will appreciate it though.
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby wuffy68 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:47 am

JimF wrote:If you want to buy fancy motherboards with whatever Intel is selling, I am sure their stockholders will appreciate it though.

I cant afford any of it right now :-) With the exception of a $150 Titan card (that can't even do 0x17 WUs yet) all my stuff is 7, 8, 9 and 14 years old...

I decided to use my experience with EC2 to "cloud fold" Big Adv. Let Amazon or Google buy the fancy new servers in bulk. I really think this IS the future, with the home computers becoming just a light-weight head.

That being said, playing in the cloud is still price-prohibitive and tricky, even at cheap Spot Prices, I pay >=$7/day for folding BigAdv (the same 32 core c3.8xlarge reserved instance would cost $27/day !!!!!) . I need to decide within the next month whether to continue playing in the cloud or bite the bullet and invest in dedicated external GPU equipment I could mount to my laptops external ExpressCardPCI slot (much lower power consumption than running a desktop server).

Folding BigAdv WUs did help me understand Amazon EC2 in-depth. More than I'd have the time to do at work, but its not for everyone - especially since I hate risking active WUs in order to learn, that's just not cool. I've got a system (partially manual) where I can recover WU progress ~98% of the time IF the EC2 instance drops out for price reasons (being out-bid).
1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060 3g,
1x nVidia 970, 2x nVidia 960,
1x nVidia 555, 1x AMD R7, 2x AMD 295,
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
wuffy68

Postby PantherX » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 am

wuffy68 wrote:...With the exception of a $150 Titan card (that can't even do 0x17 WUs yet)...

Note sure about the price but GTX Titan can fold FahCore_17 WUs without any issues. Only Pre-Fermi GPUs can't fold since they are using a very old architecture and Maxwell GPUs due to the Nvidia driver bug in OpenCL (they can still fold FahCore_15 WUs). Thus, all Fermi and Kepler GPUs are supported by FahCore_17. If you are encountering an issue, please so create a new thread where you post the log file (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=26036) and mention what drivers you are using.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to SMP with bigadv