PPD is extremely low [No, P4 are not from SMP]

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: PPD is extremely low.

Postby kscott » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

theory wrote:
P5-133XL wrote:Well, that P4 is a single core processor with hyper-threading (basically a simulated second core). The SMP client shouldn't be used with that processor because it is only a single core processor and the smp client is designed for multiple cores. The benchmark machine for folding on a single-core folding client is a 2.8GHz P4 (with SSE turned off). It should produce around 110 PPD. Since your processor supports SSE and is slightly faster it should do somewhat better but still it just is not a very capable processor compared to modern chips.

Are you freakin' serious? Well, at least everything is making sense now. Sucks that I've been thinking I'm running a dual core for these past five years, haha.

Quick question: Why is it then, that when I boot up FAH, it says that it detects two cores? Just wondering.

5 years with a P4?!
Time for a new computer
kscott

Re: PPD is extremely low [No, P4 are not from SMP]

Postby silverpulser » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:46 pm

He could have a Pentium D550 3.4Ghz dual core processor. The processor number and cores correspond with his expectations. GPU-Z would confirm that he has this Prescott version. My 2.8Ghz Pentium D dual core was earning about 1000 PPD but only after I obtained a Passkey.
silverpulser

Postby JimboPalmer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm

The Pentium 4 550 was introduced in 2004 so it is fairly old in dog years.
http://ark.intel.com/products/27469/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB
It draws 115 watts so it will be fairly expensive to fold on.
It is a single core with Hyper threading, so expect about a 15% boost over pure single core.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
It has a 1 meg cache, so a more modern CPU may run F@H much faster (if the entire program fits in cache, it never slows down for main memory.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby Joe_H » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Please do not revive 6 year old topics. The information is not relevant to the currently available client software, and pretty much not to any current folding.

P.S. If you read the previous posts in this topic, the original poster did check and he did post that he had a Pentium 4 550, not a Pentium D.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Previous

Return to V6.34Beta SMP2 with passkey [Not Bigadv]