instant blockage of 6701 WU's

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

instant blockage of 6701 WU's

Postby punker_4_real » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:55 am

171.64.65.56 to your router block list (or website blocklist in your router)

instant blockage of 6701WU's

this will prevent downloading of Slow underpaid WU# 6701

TPF is 8:51 over 16 hour WU with (DUAL QUAD setup)a loss of 5,000 to 6,000 ppd (overall perday)
punker_4_real

Re: instant blockage of 6701 WU's

Postby k1wi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:20 am

Are you even sure that this is the only server offering this work unit or that there aren't other projects hosted by this server?
k1wi

Postby kasson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 am

We consider this inappropriate manipulation of the assignment system. 6701 is doing important science. We of course reserve the right to take action against individuals who do such things.
kasson
Pande Group Member

Postby kiore » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:20 am

Not good form at all. :!: Personally I will continue to fold what ever comes, and it seems I will also have to carry the burden of doing the units you refuse.

Current system failure, rebuilding soon.
kiore

Postby P5-133XL » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 am

It is one thing to do something bad. It is an entirely different level of bad encourage others (at the cost of the honest) and tell how to do it. You get what you deserve, karmicly.

Moderator, I don't see any reason why not to remove the thread.
P5-133XL

Postby mdk777 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

6701 is doing important science.

Not if no one will run them. :mrgreen:

PS, I am shut down due to being assigned a defective WU that cannot be completed.
Project: 6013 (Run 0, Clone 50, Gen 140)

Really?

No one seems to care. Time to move on.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mdk777

Postby tear » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Moderator, please kick PG in the butt so donor support improves.

kasson wrote:We of course reserve the right to take action against individuals who do such things.

Now that's new low, Peter. What do you think you'll gain by such threats?

Get to work. And stop taking donors for granted. Thanks.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
tear

Postby drougnor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

And again, I see hypocrisy in action on this . . . "We do this for you of our own free will as long as it benefits us, but the second it ceases to benefit us, we will employ strong-arm tactics to get our way."

This is for the greater good, folks. If you are concerned about the point level, complain, but don't be a cheat or punk about it. Fold if you want to help, but don't tuck your tail and run the second your point total is in jeopardy. The ONLY thing you risk by doing this is the possibility of forcing the Pande Group's hand and shutting down the project altogether.

Myself, bring them on. My points take a hit? Don't care, the science gets done.

Fold on, brothers and sisters!!
drougnor

Postby kiore » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:14 pm

punker_4_real I would have more sympathy for you if your system could not complete these units when you had been able to do others like some are (IMO justifiably) lamenting, but by your score you can easily complete them and you are just worried about a few points.. :roll:
mdk777 your response to this post
6701 is doing important science.
with this
Not if no one will run them
does you no credit either smiley or not.
kiore

Postby mdk777 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Yeah, I guess it just depends on your point of view.
As a salesman, I am constantly caught between the customer and the manufacturer.
I have to sell both ways.

In this case, it appears that PG still needs to be sold on the fact that consistent points matter to their customers.

Statements like Kasson makes indicates that they haven't reached an understand of that importance, even when faced with loosing large numbers of customers.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14911&start=135#p149350
Point of fact, they actually threaten to accelerate the process :!:

3000 fewer folding today than there were at the last update. How many customers will they loose before they realize that it is not a trivial issue :?:

PS

does you no credit either smiley or not.

The smiley was to indicate that I understood the irony of situation, perhaps a wink would have been better. :wink:
Last edited by mdk777 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdk777

Postby tear » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:30 pm

No worries, soon you'll be told that this was never a "goods" exchange and you oughtta be happy PG is letting you participate.
tear

Postby drougnor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm

mdk777 - Programs that rely on the goodness of donors are ALWAYS going to have fluctuations in production up and down, but remain solid based on a core of devoted donors. There are untold numbers of causes that drive people to and away from Folding, this is another bump in the road. All that needs to be done is for donors to either walk or take the wait and see, and things will level off. The people who fold for the glory will get fed up and leave, the people who really do this for the greater good will stay. It's apparent to me which side you stand on .

Yes, I get concerned when I see people leaving, but I'm also attributing the shrinkage to seasonal shrink. When the temperatures rise in a locality, as they have been doing in the northern hemisphere with the advent of summer, it costs MUCH more to fold as you also have to cool the rooms the pcs are in a LOT more than during the cooler months. THIS is the leading factor in folding shrinkage.

So, please take that into account before you start throwing those numbers around as 'proof' that the 6701 WU's are driving away the PG's 'customers' as you say.

What the PG rep threatened was to eliminate someone who just admitted by sharing the method, to cheating the system. I can't think of any project like this that offers a points system that would see this as OK. There is an established and WELL USED process for getting PPD discrepancies worked on and resolved. Base threats isn't it.

d
drougnor

Postby drougnor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm

tear wrote:No worries, soon you'll be told that this was never a "goods" exchange and you oughtta be happy PG is letting you participate.

I've pointed out before and will continue to point out - You aren't being FORCED to do this. You joined for whatever reason, but should have known that by choosing to fold under a BETA means that you are TESTING things out for the PG. There is a tried and true method for resolving PPD issues. I suggest USING it instead of acting like a petulant child who's had toys taken away. No one is TAKING anything from you. You are freely GIVING. There IS a major difference that you should look into.

d
drougnor

Postby mdk777 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:48 pm

It's apparent to me which side you stand on .

Yeah, as I mentioned, currently I am not folding because I am constantly being assigned a defective WU that cannot be completed by a six core machine.

Crazy, I know. :roll:

here is a tried and true method for resolving PPD issues. I suggest USING it instead of acting like a petulant child who's had toys taken away. No one is TAKING anything from you. You are freely GIVING. There IS a major difference that you should look into.

And apparently you haven't read the dozen or so threads on the topic. The OP was obviously responding to the inaction being taken. While he is obviously fermenting revolt: I see that as an indication of just how mad people have become at the failure of the normal channel you mention.

Yes, the frustration of customers is always due to their lack of understanding. They just really need to learn to hold their phones the "right way" :lol:
Last edited by mdk777 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdk777

Postby drougnor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:53 pm

mdk777 wrote:
It's apparent to me which side you stand on .

Yeah, as I mentioned, currently I am not folding because I am constantly being assigned a defective WU that cannot be completed by a six core machine.

Crazy, I know. :roll:

No, what's crazy is that you are doing a cold stop instead of changing your options to enable you to continue to work. If you are having issues completing a WU under 6 cores, then change the number of cores you use. Changing your -smp argument to be -smp 4 is a valid tool to enable you to complete these WU's. Yah, you'll have a lower PPD, but oh well. The WU's are getting done.

It really just makes no sense to me NOT to want to do the work being handed out.

d
drougnor

Next

Return to V6.34Beta SMP2 with passkey [Not Bigadv]