Fermi only vs non Fermi work units

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Fermi only vs non Fermi work units

Postby gwildperson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 pm

What's with the new "morality"? I keep seeing people saying "I'm going to keep doing it (and 'it' seems to have been several different things recently) unless the Pande Group makes a formal statement that i can't do it"

Doesn't anybody care? Doesn't anybody consider that there is such a thing as right and wrong?

There are a lot of really stupid things that a person can do that causes damage but why should it be the Pande Group's responsibility to say "Here's another thing we don't think you should be doing." I understand there are people in this world who firmly believe that becoming a Suicide Bomber is a high calling. I suppose somewhere in the tribal regions between Afghanistan and Pakistan somebody somewhere is saying "Unless the Pande Group tells me not to, I'm going to blow myself up."

Sure, I created a really exaggerated example and you can easily tell me it doesn't apply, but the real point is some people seem to believe that ANYTHING is allowed unless it's specifically prohibited by the Pande Group. There have been long discussions on several particular methods of what seems like cheating to me. Even if most people say "don't do it" the final response seems to be H*** with you -- I'm going to do it unless Dr. Pande, himself, tells me not to. (And I strongly suspect that they'll keep doing it silently, anyway, even after he says no.)

Maybe the only answer is to take an active stance and start zeroing out points of anybody that is even suspected of doing things that damage the science. To pick another example that's not perfectly applicable, there's a Speed Limit law that says how fast you can drive. People widely disregard that law. The Police do issue traffic citations to a percentage of violators. Traffic fines are higher than they probably should be, but if the fine is high enough, it may reduce the number of offenders who manage to avoid getting caught. Is that what we want FAH to become?
gwildperson

Postby Parja » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:00 pm

I've seen everything now. Running the GPU client with a flag has been equated to becoming a suicide bomber.

Well gentlemen, deal me out.
Parja

Postby 7im » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Parja wrote:I've seen everything now. Running the GPU client with a flag has been equated to becoming a suicide bomber.

Well gentlemen, deal me out.

Equated, no. Humorous exaggerated-to-make-a-point analogy, yes. :lol:
Last edited by 7im on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby sortofageek » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm

This thread needed a lot of cleanup. If your post(s) was/were moderated, please take the time to read and understand site policies before posting again.

They are here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15

Try to keep the purpose of this site in mind, report posts you believe violate site policy and don't respond to them. Please don't try to moderate others. Let us do that. We have the tools. Keep posts within site scope, which doesn't include discussion of other members. If you can't be polite, then please walk away from your computer and do something else until you can.

Thank you for your cooperation going forward.

Edit: Do not respond to this post as any reply would be off topic.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Postby VijayPande » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for asking about this. Here's the situation. Using -forcegpu like this really screws up a lot of what we do. In particular, it can both invalidate the science from others (by throwing in some strange results) and make it really hard to track down bugs since we can't tell which GPU is which. This also slows down other progress (more wild goose chases).

If this flag gets abused (i.e. used to mislead the AS to increase points), we'll have no choice but to remove it. This would be a shame since it would simply make it harder for those using the flag legitimately, but we'll have to balance the pros and cons as always.

From the posts above, it's clear that people are not trying to be malicious and just wanted to know if it was ok. Thanks for asking.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Postby jimerickson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:58 pm

i am folding on two gtx480's using the gpu3 client in wine. we must use the -forcegpu flag to run our fermi cards. is this a legitimate use of the flag? i don't want to be in violation of any policy. this thread has me a little confused now.
jimerickson

Postby MtM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:59 pm

The issue was people running the flag to get fermi work units on non fermi hardware. You're fine.
MtM

Postby Parja » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Thank you kindly for the response, Dr. Pande.
Parja

Postby noprob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:09 am

I'm glad I read this thread/post as I was thinking about adding the flag -forcegpu nvidia_g80 to my 8800 series GPU's and my 275GTX ,but since reading this thread I have decided not to.

I will continue to have the servers send me what my hardware is capable to handle and send back good science.

Does this mean in the future some time that non fermi video cards will not be used to assist Folding@home :?: (curious) :egeek:
noprob

Postby 7im » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 am

"in the future" is a very long time. So the answer is Yes. At some very (or not so very) distant future, non-fermi cards will not be supported. Just like we don't support Pentium I chips any more. ;)
7im

Previous

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM