Can't restart F@H without Drop in PPD

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Can't restart F@H without Drop in PPD

Postby sgt_bombulous » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 am

First, my hardware:

CPU: Intel i5-750 (OC'd to 3.2 GHz, cooled by CM Hyper 212+)
GPU: EVGA GTX-570 SC
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-Pro
RAM: Corsair XMS3-1600, 8GB
HDD: Intel X25M-80GB
Data HDD: Samsung HD103SJ
PSU: Corsair AX750

The problem is most likely more complicated than the solution. If I have FAH GPU in the start menu it will fire up and run at full PPD (per FAHMON, getting 15,900 on a P6802 as we speak). If I shut off FAH, it will NOT run again at full PPD unless I restart the computer. I've also noticed that I can't play games after it's been running from startup, then shut off. It's like running it from startup and then shutting it off cuts GPU power by 1/4, and it's only recoverable if I restart. I've tried both the 280.25 and 270.61 drivers, each does the exact same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks! :D
sgt_bombulous

Re: Can't restart F@H without Drop in PPD

Postby Zagen30 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 am

It's a known bug with the post-266.58 drivers; the shaders won't go back to 3D clocks. The latest beta drivers, 285.27, have fixed this.
Zagen30

Postby sgt_bombulous » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 am

Wow, that was easy! Thanks! I imagine I can stick with this driver indefinitely, or should I install the WHQL driver when it comes out?
sgt_bombulous

Postby gwildperson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 am

Some whQL drivers are better than the earlier version. Some are worse. Most seem unchanged.
gwildperson

Postby Blacksmith1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm having the same problem and am running the latest whql driver 285.62 D/L'd and installed today. I am folding on 2 GTX480's and one GTX 560. only the 560 is down clocking. I rearrainged the position of the cards a couple hrs ago and it has been worse since. it runs for a few mins now and the clocks drop to 810. I have the power managment set to prefer max performance in the nvida control panel. I even added both gpu3.exe and fahcore_15.exe to the program list and set the P/M on them as well. does anyone know how to stop this from happening. I'm losing 6k+ PPD to this problem. I should add that I don't even have to touch the client for this to happen. temps are fine. ???
Blacksmith1

Postby gwildperson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 am

How are you determining the PPD?

Depending on your answer, you might be including some time processing, followed by some time not processing, followed by some more time processing. The total PPD has to be lower than if you hadn't spend any time not processing.
gwildperson

Postby Blacksmith1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:10 pm

the clocks are dropping from 1850 to 810 around the time the WU finishes 3 to 4%, no matter how much of the WU has been completed. the card will not stay in performance mode at all. it works at 98-99% most of the time just on the lowers clock speed. it was doing this some before but now that I rearrainged the position of the cards it's worse. once it drops nothing other than a resstart will get the clocks back and then only for short periods. I'm going to reconfig the system again later but i have to have the 480 at the top for all of my games to access it. some of them default to that top ard and some default to whichever I have set as the "main" card in windows. to use SLI i need it at the top and as "main". I tried a script in the cmd window that was supposed to force them onto full power mode but win7 said access denied so i don't know how to get around that.
Blacksmith1

Postby JimF » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:03 pm

gwildperson wrote:Some whQL drivers are better than the earlier version. Some are worse. Most seem unchanged.

On my GTS 450 and GTX 550 Ti, the 267.59 drivers are the latest ones that work right. The later ones either do not fold at all, or else downclock. Since I don't do gaming or anything else on that dedicated machine, it is no problem for me, but I expect that Nvidia had better get it fixed or they will be losing some customers.
GTX 970 (i5-3550), GTX 980 (i7-3770); Win10 64-bit; FAH 7.4.4
JimF

Postby bruce » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 pm

The drivers are a probable fix.

If that doesn't work, be sure you're monitor the temperatures and airflow. A GPU will downclock itself to protect it from overheating. Rearranging the positions of the cards won't change the software but it will change which GPU might be overheating.
bruce

Postby Blacksmith1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks Bruce, I did check my temps. and it was getting way up there. turns out one of the 2 fans (gigabyte windforce 560) had stopped due to clearance issues so i put the cards back the way they were with the 560 at that bottom. the problem now is multiple unstable machine errors. which i'm thinking is me changing to the latest beta driver. I neeed to go back to the last one I had that was working decently which I belive was the last WHQL before the 285.62. I have yet to find a driver that runs mixed cards while folding without some kind of problem... I thought moving to all Fermi cards would help but...
In your honest opinion, do you think changing out to the V7 could reduce my folding woes? I'm using the gpu tracker v2 to run my folding ATM.
I also had a minor problem with one 480 not being seated quite right, loosening the screws and moving it just one mm farther from the other 480 stopped the constant EUE at 3% I was getting. but this latest beta is giving my unstables at any overclock. seems to work at stock. I'll let you know later.
sorry if this seems confusing or disjointed.
Blacksmith1

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Blacksmith1 wrote:In your honest opinion, do you think changing out to the V7 could reduce my folding woes?

Bruce probably has a better answer for you, but I did find this: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18251 and this: http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 2&t=113741 Your mileage may vary but I believe v7 is designed to make installation on multi-GPU systems much easier than trying to get multiple GPU3 clients running concurrently.

There are a couple of fixed bugs that were related to multi-GPU systems: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... ticket/597 and https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... ticket/597 Which supports the idea that multi-GPU setups using v7 should be straightforward. See also http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide#ntoc9
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby bruce » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Jesse_V wrote:Bruce probably has a better answer for you, but ...

Not really. You pretty much nailed it.

V7 is still called beta because it's still being actively developed and new trouble reports to show up from time to time. V7 is already automatically doing many things right that were virtually impossible in V6. We can't GUARANTEE that it can handle all possible combinations of GPU hardware, but if it doesn't, we certainly want to hear about it.
bruce

Postby Blacksmith1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Ok then early next week I'll change to it. for now my problem was solved by MSI after burner. setting the clocks and saving them to one of the save slots, then telling after burner to use that slot for both the 2d and 3d profiles on the profiles tab in settings. It no longer down clocks at all if afterburner is running.
Blacksmith1

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM