GPU3 Console client causing lag

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

GPU3 Console client causing lag

Postby ChewieFL2003 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Latest WHQL Drivers, clean install.
i2600k @4.3Ghz HT on. 8Gb ram, MSI Z68 based board.
2 x GTX 470 SLI, 2 monitors (connected to same card).
Windows 7 64 bit Professional, fully updated, no beta drivers anywhere.

OS/BOOT drive is Patriot Wildfire SSD on a SATA 3 port. 2 WD Caviar Black 500GB on SATA 2 Ports. (all single drives non-raid, AHCI)

Installed SMP CPU client on first partition on WD drive 1, in its own folder, using -local.
Installed GPU3 client on same partition as SMP client, however in its own folder, using -local, as well as -gpu 0
Installed second GPU 3 client on WD drive 2, in first partition, also using -local, and -gpu 1.

By observation of EVGA precision, and temp monitors, each GPU client does load up on card it is assigned to, even if it is only client I start, or start it first or second.
That part is working well. I have tried dropping cores (-smp 5 -smp 6) etc, to no avail, also setting cpu req down to 90% for CPU and GPU clients, and so on to fix the lag.
Even if I only start 1 GPU client, (either or) as soon as it finishes starting the GUI server, lagbomb goes off. Typing in this window does fine. I am speaking of clicking a button, switching a window, a few to several seconds of lag for system to recognize I have moved cursor over a button, etc etc. Also tried, within client configs, switching priorities between low/idle, no effect.

Is GPU3 only designed for stand-alone folders, and really not intended to be run while system is in use ?
I do not recall having these issues before, with the GPU client, what am I doing wrong, or forgetting to do ?
I am interested in solving the lag issue, for now GPU folding is only going to happen when sleeping or computer is not in use.
(I let the GPU work finish overnight, then left them off, via clsoing and restarting them both, sequentially, using -oneunit) not restarting them until I can get some clear info.
ChewieFL2003

Re: GPU3 Console client causing lag

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I saw recent comments suggesting that the latest drivers make the problem worse and that some earlier drivers worked better. I can't find where I saw that information, though so I don't know what drivers to recommend. (I'm experiencing the same problem, though I'm running FAH V7, which doesn't change anything that's related to what the drivers are doing.)
bruce

Postby Phred15 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 pm

I had this and it was worse with a browser. One of my team members suggested turning on aero and it helped some. He also had me turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox and IE. It now works pretty normally now.
Phred15

Postby tului » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:21 pm

I am using a stock PNY XLR8 470 and when I disabled advanced and dropped back to the 6xxx work units my lag went away. Not quite the same points, but my 6/12 core i7 3930k makes up for it, plus the fact that I don't have to pause it to use the computer.
tului

Postby WiSK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Months ago I disabled advanced to solve this problem as well, but now I'm getting WU from project 8033. This runs 10C hotter and lags my system. I have decided to stop GPU folding.
WiSK

Postby MtM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Phred -> use chrome, even better ( trust me I tried them all ).

Some cores support FAH_GPU_IDLE which might help ( though I'm pretty certain the FERMI core's do not support this setting, I might be wrong ).
See -> http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Environmen ... GPU_Client.

What also helps is if WDM has more then one gpu driving displays. In my case, I run both ati and nvidia with V7 and both cards drive a screen. In combination with a decent driver ( older nvidia's are way better then newer one's ) I can do everything in a normal fashion, where with both displays on one screen even with a 'less lag' driver, I can't open anything which use's the IE front end ( like many window utilities, or apps like visual studio ). But, I can even watch movies on either display if the other display is also driving a screen.

WDM acts as a buffer for screen updates, since my ati drivers are needed for access on one screen, and the nvidia drivers for access to the other screen. I don't exactly know how or why, of it it's possible to get the same effect from WDM without having mixed gpu drivers, but it certainly works.
MtM

P8032 running hot

Postby DocJonz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:40 pm

WiSK wrote:Months ago I disabled advanced to solve this problem as well, but now I'm getting WU from project 8033. This runs 10C hotter and lags my system. I have decided to stop GPU folding.

I've noticed something similar today ..... I'd disabled advmethods previously for the same reason on my GPU's. However, today, all my GPU's are running P8032 and the temps have popped up 10DegC, which made me wonder whether this was an advmethods project being released natively .... though this post (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14714&start=135#p208208) says it was for beta testing last week, but today it's gone native ... perhaps a recheck on this one is required!
DocJonz

Postby bollix47 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 pm

I too have a gpu (GTX 460) that was not on advanced and was surprised to see it working on an 80xx this morning. First one completed okay but the second one died with 52 and 7a error codes. I increased the fan speed using MSIAfterburner and it seems to be happy with this new project including redoing the previously failed WU successfully. PPD is up a bit. :D

The announcement that the projects are on regular FAH has now been posted.
bollix47

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

It's not uncommon for a more efficient project to replace a less efficient project. Your GPU will work harder, and draw more power.
bruce

Postby DocJonz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 pm

bruce wrote:It's not uncommon for a more efficient project to replace a less efficient project. Your GPU will work harder, and draw more power.

I agree with your first statement, but your second statement does not necessarily have to follow naturally.

Given the concerns last time this occurred, and the choice as to whether or not to choose the temp rise and extra power draw via advmethods, there is a danger (as already noted by one member in this thread) of driving people away from GPU Folding - it's something that should be borne in mind, especially as winter moves into spring (i.e. from a time when the extra heat may have been useful for some to supplement standard heating requirements, to a time when it will not be desirable ....)
DocJonz

Postby 7im » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

"Efficient" can go both ways, more power or less. "Effective" might have been a better choice to convey the idea.

Fah has always sought to improve performance and efficacy to speed up the science and find cures faster. The results are more power usage and more heat generated as fah finds ways to wring more processing power out of the current hardware. We've seen similar concerns with the CPU clients for years. It is not unexpected. People have mentioned over and over how the GPU processing will change as the work units grow in size, and the GPU fahcores get more optimized. Just a continuation of that theme...

One can always choose to offset some of that increased demand with something like this:

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Environment_Variables_for_the_GPU_Client#FAH_GPU_IDLE
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby MtM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 pm

The problem is in the core support for that flag. If every core supported that flag, V7 would still have it's usage slider. Really the only reliable thing for me which really helped with lag was finding the right driver ( and loosing any patches for newer games I might want to play ), and then adding a gpu from a different vendor and extending the desktop to span across both gpu's. If that had not worked, I would have had to stop f@h while doing certain tasks because doing them with f@h on meant having to wait seconds before changing focus from one window to the next, let alone the time I had to wait before typing and my text showing up in a textbox.
MtM

Postby WiSK » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am

The GPU_IDLE is not a solution for this lag, I tried this before. The setting just pauses the folding for 0.1 seconds every 1 second. So for the other 0.9 seconds you still have lag, but you are doing 10% less folding. The user experience is the same.

Well, I decided to fold after all, but only at night. The GPU can finish a -oneunit before I wake up. Pity for the science though, I was otherwise able to do 4-5 of these per day.
WiSK

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 am

The GPU_IDLE was originally defined as a way to reduce heat from the GPU. Could it be modified to reduce gpu lag ... of course. Something like changing the (0.1 seconds + 0.9 seconds) to maybe (10 ms + 90 ms) or maybe (5 ms + 45 ms) -- the same ratio so heat is reduced the same as before but fast enough that the GPU has time to move the cursor or change the focus without noticeable delay. Already on the agenda is providing FahCores with better support for reducing the heat from GPUs but you're just asking for both to be considered.

Remember the GPU drivers of today do not provide any kind of priority scheduling. If windows is configured to use the GPU to update the graphics and FAH is configured to use the same GPU, they'll compete for resources on a first-come-first-served basis. Reconfiguring Windows to use the CPU to process the screen updates will create a higher priority processing request to the CPU instead of a non-priority request for GPU processing. Windows defaults are set on the basis of the GPU being a faster resource than the CPU but it also naively assumes that it is always idle.

Anyway, I hope that we'll see improved anti-lag support soon.
bruce

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

bruce wrote:Anyway, I hope that we'll see improved anti-lag support soon.

Me too. Here's a thought: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=20838&start=105#p208682 and the resulting posts
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Next

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM