need different WU's for Fermi

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

need different WU's for Fermi

Postby melephant » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

The only WU's I have gotten for my GTX 480 are 6800, 6801, 6802, 6803, and 6804 for the past 4 months. Nothing else. How did I get stuck in that rut? I'm tired of working on Alzhiemer's disease. Is there any way out? I feel like going back to BOINC. :( My GPU is boring me to death.
melephant

Re: need different WU's for Fermi

Postby domboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:35 pm

melephant wrote:The only WU's I have gotten for my GTX 480 are 6800, 6801, 6802, 6803, and 6804 for the past 4 months. Nothing else. How did I get stuck in that rut? I'm tired of working on Alzhiemer's disease. Is there any way out? I feel like going back to BOINC. :( My GPU is boring me to death.

So getting something other than one of those five projects will make this more exciting? Might I suggest a few things that might change things up a bit:

- Get a second 480 for double the fun
- Install an older nVidia GPU what won't fold the fermi WUs, perhaps as a secondary card.
- Switch to ATI to fold something completely different...
domboy

Postby JimboPalmer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:49 pm

There is a reason we are fighting Alzheimer's, but I forget what it is. <g>

I regard F@H as a hobby for my computer, not for me. It keeps it from getting lonely and chewing on my clothes when I am away. <g>
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:27 pm

You could add the -advmethods flag. There's a couple of Fermi projects that haven't been released to full FAH. Be warned that they're much larger than the 680x's; they better utilize the large shader count of high-end cards, but as a result the cards generate a lot more heat and may be unstable if you have too high of an overclock. I'm not sure if this would relieve your boredom for that long, as there's only 2 projects, 7620 and 7621, and you'll get nothing but them if you go the advmethods route (at least until some new projects come along).
Zagen30

Postby gwildperson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 pm

;) How about this: Convince everybody to upgrade their gpu to faster ones. If everybody completes their assignments twice as fast, these projects will be finished in half the time and the scientists will learn what needs to be learned about these proteins and they'll come up with new projects. ;)

Seriously, though, FAH's researchers do take on big jobs that take a long time to complete.
gwildperson

Postby l67swap » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:40 am

Keep in mind even tho it is althimers related , the way protiens fold could br linked to other diseases .. Im glad my 3 580s chew up these wu"s when im not using pc ... Even with diff units it still wont be any on the windowmore FUN you will just see a diff project number in the window so I don't rly get what u want from this...
l67swap

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:51 am

Just wanted to suggest that you read this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F@H#Alzheimer.27s_disease
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM