Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 am

Hi, I have just set up a 4th computer with Debian 6.0.6 and it is happily folding the SMP v7.2.9 client with FAHClient and FAHControl.

I am trying to set up Wine GPU3 folding on this system, but I cannot download the 6.41 console client from here:
http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-641.zip
It tells me "Access forbidden".

The link that I clicked on came from here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

The 6.23 console client does download OK from here:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-623.zip

Is the v6.41 "Access forbidden" temporary, or has it been withdrawn altogether?
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64
Over 1.04 Billion Total Points
Over 185,000 Work Units
Over 3,800,000 PPD
Overall rank (if points are combined) 20 of 1721690
In memory of my Mother May 12th 1923 - February 10th 2012
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Re: Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

No need for anyone to answer this one, I've given up on trying to get Wine GPU folding working on Debian 6.0.6 for now. I'll just wait for the native Linux GPU folding client to become available.

But I liked the Debian v6.0.6 Linux so much that I installed it on another system as well, so I now have 3 Windows machines and 2 Debian Linux machines folding now. The SMP clients on Linux do seem to be very good, the PPD of the dual-core Linux systems (AMD Athlon II X2 240 and AMD Athlon 7550) sometimes approach the PPD of the quad-core Windows systems (AMD Phenom II X4 955 and AMD Phenom II X4 965), depending on which WUs they get.
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Re: Cannot download v6.41 for Debian Wine GPU folding

Postby Hyperlife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am

I can confirm getting "Access forbidden" when trying to download the Windows v6.41 client. Would someone look into this?
Hyperlife

Postby Hyperlife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 am

bruce wrote:http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadNVIDIA

That's V6.32. Can we get V6.41 on that page?

Also, if you try to download it, you get the "Access forbidden" message. Looks like friedrim's folder isn't publicly accessible anymore.
Hyperlife

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 am

Friedrim is no longer associated with the Pande Group and any links to his private library were intended as temporary until the client was published on an official fah page.

I'm not sure where the official download page for v6.4x has gone but google is still providing links to a number of obsolete pages and apparently the only way to force Google to forget those links is to deny it access to those pages. There's currently an active project to "clean up" the obsolete pages.

Does the Wine client work with V7? If not, can it be modified so that it does?
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Hyperlife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 am

bruce wrote:I'm not sure where the official download page for v6.4x has gone but google is still providing links to a number of obsolete pages and apparently the only way to force Google to forget those links is to deny it access to those pages. There's currently an active project to "clean up" the obsolete pages.

Here's the official way to locate the V6.41 client:

1) From folding.stanford.edu, click on "Older versions".
2) The GPU clients are not on this page, You need to scroll down and click on the "High Performance Windows Clients" link. This loads up http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
3) There are two links to the V6.41 clients (systray and console). Both are located in friedrim's directory.

As you can see, there is no way to download the V6.41 client using the official download page.

bruce wrote:Does the Wine client work with V7? If not, can it be modified so that it does?

It didn't work the last time I tried it, which is admittedly a while ago, though I doubt anything has changed with V7.2.9. I'll give it another try soon.

I don't know enough about Wine to fix it. I imagine we'd have to ask jcoffland about how to modify it, but I'm sure that ticket would be relegated near the bottom of the priority list.
Hyperlife

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:39 am

The Wine interface was provided by a 3rd party. (Check the title of this forum and the earlier topics.) Support is provided directly by that person(s) and jcoffland will not support it.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Hyperlife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 am

bruce wrote:The Wine interface was provided by a 3rd party. (Check the title of this forum and the earlier topics.) Support is provided directly by that person(s) and jcoffland will not support it.

Um, I'm the guy who wrote the guide on how to use Wine -- I am one of the support people. I wouldn't expect jcoffland to do anything about it, but since your question was about modifying things, I wanted to point out that he's the only one who would know how to modify V7. :wink:

In any event, I hope the download links to V6.41 are fixed soon.
Hyperlife

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 am

What I'm saying is that there were no modifications to the V6 client and I seriously doubt there will be any to V7. You may have written the documentation, but I think Shelnutt2 was the one who wrote the interface software and made it work. (If I'm crediting the wrong person, I apologize.)
bruce
Site Admin

Postby P5-133XL » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Bruce,

I think the real issue is where can they get the beta v6.41 client for Linux. At one time a link to it was offered in a forum thread but that link no longer works and the official links only offer older versions.
P5-133XL

Postby powerarmour » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah was just about to setup another Wine folder, and I'm having the same problem!

Does anybody have any other mirrors to Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-641.zip please?
powerarmour

Postby GreyWhiskers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm

To be specific, http://folding.stanford.edu/Site/DownloadWinOther is the official download site for the "high performance Clients". The link to the 6.41 client leads to a page that Stanford has apparently locked. When you follow this link, you get a redirect to an error page that says,

Access forbidden

The page you requested is not accessible. This may either be due to the server not having permission to access this directory, or a server error. If you are the administrator for this site, please check the permissions on this directory and file a HelpSU if you need help. If you are a user, please contact the administrators for this site, or HelpSU if you think the error is due to a server problem.

[EDIT] The download links to the older 6.23 ("GPU2") version are live and do work - but not the more recent 6.41 "GPU3".

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Stanford needs to fix this - they don't want the questioner to go rummaging about looking for archived copies of the .msi file in direct violation of the EULA:

What about security issues?

We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. Also, we only interact with FAH files on your computer (we don't read, write, or transmit any other files, as we don't need to do so and doing so would violate our privacy policy). The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input or the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security. Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site (or in certain cases, also from our commercial partners such as Sony, NVIDIA, and ATI), so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.
GreyWhiskers

Postby powerarmour » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Links still down :P
powerarmour

Postby davidcoton » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Here's another request for a recent v6 GPU client to use with Wine, since my Ubuntu rig suffered HD failure. So one 550Ti is sitting idle here. I've already fought two major battles to reinstate -- first, forgetting to clean older Raid info from the replacement HD, then two rounds of agro trying to install nVidia drivers on 12.10. So it's really sad to fall at the last fence with no suitable client!

David
davidcoton

Re: Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

davidcoton wrote:Here's another request for a recent v6 GPU client to use with Wine, since my Ubuntu rig suffered HD failure. So one 550Ti is sitting idle here. I've already fought two major battles to reinstate -- first, forgetting to clean older Raid info from the replacement HD, then two rounds of agro trying to install nVidia drivers on 12.10. So it's really sad to fall at the last fence with no suitable client!

Maybe PG is keeping v6.41 unavailable on purpose so people cannot use v6 Linux/Wine GPU folding, because the v7 native Linux GPU client is nearing release? (Hope, fingers crossed.) Putting the already-developed v6.41 client on another link must be trivially easy, so there must be some logical, rational reason why it is not being done.
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Next

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM