Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: slegrand, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Cannot download v6.41 for Debian Wine GPU folding

Postby codysluder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 pm

art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 wrote:
davidcoton wrote:Here's another request for a recent v6 GPU client to use with Wine, since my Ubuntu rig suffered HD failure. So one 550Ti is sitting idle here. I've already fought two major battles to reinstate -- first, forgetting to clean older Raid info from the replacement HD, then two rounds of agro trying to install nVidia drivers on 12.10. So it's really sad to fall at the last fence with no suitable client!

Maybe PG is keeping v6.41 unavailable on purpose so people cannot use v6 Linux/Wine GPU folding, because the v7 native Linux GPU client is nearing release? (Hope, fingers crossed.) Putting the already-developed v6.41 client on another link must be trivially easy, so there must be some logical, rational reason why it is not being done.

If V6.41 is causing errors that makes sense. If it is still providing good results, they wouldn't do that.

The other possibility is that some projects may be V7 only while others work on either V6 or V7 and the V6 projects are running out of WUs. Can anybody tell us if that is happening?
codysluder

Re: Cannot download v6.41 GPU console client

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 pm

codysluder wrote:If V6.41 is causing errors that makes sense. If it is still providing good results, they wouldn't do that.

As I understand it, the client only acts as a go-between, it is the FahCore_xx programs that actually do the work, and would be responsible for any errors that might occur.
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64
Over 1.04 Billion Total Points
Over 185,000 Work Units
Over 3,800,000 PPD
Overall rank (if points are combined) 20 of 1721690
In memory of my Mother May 12th 1923 - February 10th 2012
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby codysluder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm

True, but what determines which cores will work correctly on your system and which cores might not?

The Assignment Server distributes WUs from projects that work on your system. It's smart enough not to download a WU on a native Linux client or on Windows XP if the drivers are not up to snuff. Wine must be reporting a certain set of Windows drivers which could very well cause anomalous assignments of WUs and Cores that introduce errors that might not happen in a pure Windows environment.

The point is that your configuration is unsupported as far as FAH is concerned.
codysluder

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

codysluder wrote:The point is that your configuration is unsupported as far as FAH is concerned.

I am not trying to run Wine GPU folding, so my configuration (SMP only) is supported.
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby codysluder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm

art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 wrote:
codysluder wrote:The point is that your configuration is unsupported as far as FAH is concerned.

I am not trying to run Wine GPU folding, so my configuration (SMP only) is supported.

Then why are you posting in a topic called "Cannot download v6.41 for Debian Wine GPU folding"?
codysluder

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm

codysluder wrote:Then why are you posting in a topic called "Cannot download v6.41 for Debian Wine GPU folding"?

After I gave up on it here:
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 wrote:No need for anyone to answer this one, I've given up on trying to get Wine GPU folding working on Debian 6.0.6 for now. I'll just wait for the native Linux GPU folding client to become available.

Other people picked up the thread, so I continued the discussion.

As P5-133XL said here:
P5-133XL wrote:Bruce,

I think the real issue is where can they get the beta v6.41 client for Linux. At one time a link to it was offered in a forum thread but that link no longer works and the official links only offer older versions.

So the discussion turned to why v6.41 was not being made available for those who are trying to run it.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Access forbidden downloading GPU3 6.41 console

Postby lundrog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 am

i'm trying to download the Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU3 (required for Fermi) no-nonsense console client. 6.41

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther link is http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/Foldi ... XP-641.zip

I get

Access forbidden
The page you requested is not accessible. This may either be due to the server not having permission to access this directory, or a server error. If you are the administrator for this site, please check the permissions on this directory and file a HelpSU if you need help. If you are a user, please contact the administrators for this site, or HelpSU if you think the error is due to a server problem.

Anyone?

Roger Lund
Roger Lund - Turbo VMware Nerd.
:i7 3930K@ 4.2 GHZ - 4X EVGA GTX 680 Classified in SLI
lundrog

Re: Access forbidden downloading GPU3 6.41 console

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 am

This is a known problem, and there is no timeline regarding if or when it might be resolved.
Please see viewtopic.php?f=54&t=23365#p233038
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby lundrog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 am

Perhaps a alternate hosting location ? Someone must have the file? I can host it my self if needed , assuming I get a copy of it .
lundrog

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 am

lundrog wrote:Perhaps a alternate hosting location ? Someone must have the file? I can host it my self if needed , assuming I get a copy of it .

No, Stanford University/Pande Group are the only ones legally permitted to host any of the FAH software, so anyone wanting to use v6.41 must wait for them to create a download link for that client.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 pm

The title of this thread has been changed, as the original title did not reflect the true nature of the discussion. Thanks are owed to codysluder for pointing this out! :D
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:51 am

(Merged two discussion topics on the same issue.)

The Pande Group is aware of this problem. They plan to re-publish V6.41 "soon."

This will be good news for you if you wanted this version for an (unsupported) Linux wine installation.

In the interest of improving V7, if you wanted it for some other reason please check the topic Any solid reasons for running v6? (currently 4 pages long) to see if your reasons for continuing to use V6 have already been mentioned and add it if it has not been covered.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby davidcoton » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks Bruce for that news. It's just worrying (from the POV of a folder who invests money in hardware specifically for folding) that it takes five working days to get Pande Group to respond to news of a broken link, and then the response is "soon", which in PandeSpeak could mean months. Once again, for whatever reason, Pande Group supporters are left with poor support and no reasons given. I shall be more cautious next time I consider buying h/w for folding.

David
davidcoton

Postby Jesse_V » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Guys, it's just a simple 404, but one that needs to be fixed. I don't know how that link ended up dying, but if you look closely you'll see that the missing files are in /~friedrim/, and all the other working links (which are in an official directory) work fine. Mark Friedrim is no longer at Stanford, so perhaps his account was removed either manually or automatically. In retrospect, I'm sure the link shouldn't have been in his personal directory in the first place, because now those files are not available. I gather that this is simply what happened and nothing more.

Yes, the PG is aware of the problem and are trying to fix it. There are a number of people who can fix the link besides the PG, it's just that the 6.41 file is needed. Does anyone have a copy?

davidcoton wrote:Thanks Bruce for that news. It's just worrying (from the POV of a folder who invests money in hardware specifically for folding) that it takes five working days to get Pande Group to respond to news of a broken link, and then the response is "soon", which in PandeSpeak could mean months. Once again, for whatever reason, Pande Group supporters are left with poor support and no reasons given. I shall be more cautious next time I consider buying h/w for folding.

David

It's always a good idea to be cautious about buying hardware for folding; but usually that just means reading up about the PPD of said hardware and the experiences other may have had with it. This is one of the more difficult deadlinks to fix since the actual file has to be tracked down. Something like this is pretty rare anyway, and the V7 links work fine, which is the client most people are going to use.
Jesse_V

Postby 7im » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Jesse, a V7 recommendation doesn't make much sense when we need this specific v6 version for Wine installations. Did you read the whole thread?

And asking for a copy? Read the Security FAQ again. As bruce said, PG will re-publish this version from internal resources.

Also a note about the term "soon." It is relative. Soon for client developments is typically in the range of months. Soon for broken links for client downloads? Much more likely in the range of days. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

PreviousNext

Return to V6 GPU3 beta (including Fermi) OpenMM