No Mac SMP WU's Available-3 DAYS and Counting-HELP!

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: No Mac SMP WU's Available-3 DAYS and Counting-HELP!

Postby 7im » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am

Wrish wrote:The official download page is the most important page to monitor long-term when you are running any distributed project. It's like your "Apple Software Update," only you have to do it manually. :) New clients get introduced which may be faster, more compatible, or in this case, keep up better with the changing work unit mix. It takes much more time to prowl scattered forums and blogs for version update news than to scan that client page.

How about a giant list-serv to which people can subscribe for client updates. Since the client upgrades aren't automatic, we need a way to make the notifications automatic!
Please do not mistake my brevity as dispassion or condescension. I recognize the time you spend reading the forum is time you could use elsewhere, so my short responses save you time. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I was too terse.
7im

Postby AlanH » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 am

Thanks. Yes, I think I saw both of those - the folding.typepad.com one was the one I linked to.

For some reason, I discounted the SMP2 announcement when I saw it, and that is clearly my problem, not yours. I probably skimmed it, and I don't think it encouraged any sense of urgency. Maybe there were too many "coming soon" comments in it, plus the "release ... to public testing". However, you are quite right - you gave me the information, and I was either too pre-occupied or too confused to take advantage of it. I apologise.
Folding for TeamCFC
- Mac Pro Dual 2.66GHz Xeon, 4 GBytes running Mac SMP2 client
AlanH

Postby AlanH » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 am

How about a giant list-serv to which people can subscribe for client updates. Since the client upgrades aren't automatic, we need a way to make the notifications automatic!

Just an RSS feed would be fine for me ... or Twitter?
AlanH

Postby rgmerritt » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 am

Alan-

Many thanks for sorting this out. I also have a large MacPro setup, and tried to do the install from the download instructions - impossible. After giving up, I settled for the normal A2's, which ran great until this evening when the server started sending me A1's, which completely halted all progress. Don't know why, but that's life in the F@H fast lane these days. Anyway, I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly the first time, and all seems to be in order.

Thanks again,

Bob
rgmerritt

Previous

Return to Intel Mac V6 client