ScreenSaver Mode

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

ScreenSaver Mode

Postby johnnythegeek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Can anyone suggest a way for me to run folding at home during a screensaver for Snow Leopard 10.6.6. I have everything running fine on about 60 iMacs in my computer labs. I dont want to be running while students are using the computers. I have the computers set to turn on at midnight and I want them to run from 12am to 8am straight through.

Through out the rest of the day I want to only run while the computer is idle when the screen saver is on. Currently the screen saver is set to turn on after 1 hour of no use.

I have an idea to create a script using automater to run the terminal command and use ical to initiate this script at midnight and create another script to terminate at 8am but I dont know the command to terminate the folding at 8am.

Thanks!
johnnythegeek

Re: ScreenSaver Mode

Postby calxalot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am

If you are not using launchd, but are directly starting the client, you can use
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/killall fah6

Since some cores will sometimes hang, you might want to kill any remaining 5 minutes after killing the client.
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/killall -KILL -m FahCore_

You might also consider leaving folding running, but pausing while anybody is logged in.
Have the machines auto-logout when inactive.
My fahswitch tool was made for this and might suit you. It has not been tested on 10.6, tho.
http://calxalot.net/downloads/
calxalot

Postby WBG4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

I have FAHswitch packaged and running in 10.6, you have to install and config FAH before you can deploy and run install FAHswitch (if you deploy with ARD)
WBG4

Postby susato » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Is it possible to use fahswitch to run Folding on a machine EITHER when I am logged in or when no one is logged in?
It would also be OK to leave Folding running all the time but pause when anyone except myself is logged in.
However, I don't know how to create scripts to do something like this.
susato
Site Moderator

Postby johnnythegeek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 pm

wow thanks for the replies. I will work on this during spring break! thank you all!
johnnythegeek

Postby WBG4 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Mine runs while no one is logged in. Works great!
WBG4

Return to Intel Mac V6 client