Temperature spike

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Temperature spike

Postby huskyindenial » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 am

Whoa!

I started up F@H for the first time on my brand new MacBook Pro, and my CPU temperature spiked immediately from around 130F to 200F. That's an uncomfortable jump. Any way that can be avoided?
CPU usage is 375% on a dual core processor.

Specs:
MacBook Pro
Mac OS 10.6
2.33GHz Intel i5 dual core
8GB RAM
huskyindenial

Re: Temperature spike

Postby Qinsp » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:41 am

Believe it or not, the 32nm Intel CPU's have a thermal limit of about 95°C, and normally they back down if that is exceeded.

Your i5 dual cores are probably hyperthreaded if you are seeing over 200% use. To verify, see it it reports 4 cores.

You might try putting in -smp 2 in the Advanced Options if you want it to run cooler. If it's hyperthreaded, you'll lose about 15% performance. Haven't tried that personally, but it should work. You need to shut down and restart the client for the change to take effect.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
Qinsp

Postby Ravage7779 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Big temp spike is normal. You are using 100% of your processor continuously. Make sure the vents are clean, fans are clean, elevate the lappy so it can breath from underneath, and install smc fan control to bump your fan speeds. There is also a program out there called fahlimit that you can use to lower the processor usage. Just dont scale it back so much that you miss the deadlines.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby amkaplan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm having this happen as well, and I am not at all comfortable about it - 197% CPU usage and a runaway cooling fan. If I can't reach a compromise, Folding gets trashed. I'm willing to donate time to the project, but not toast my computer.

Thanks for solutions.

Allan
amkaplan

Postby k1wi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 am

Hi Allan,

If you don't want to fold at total computer usage (i.e. 200%) then you need to configure the client to use less resources. If you have a dual core, this means reverting to the uniprocessor client, if you have a quad core, this means reverting to using 2 or 3 cores.

The issue is not technically a Folding problem - the issue is the cooling abilities of computers (particularly laptops) which are increasingly not designed to be used at their peak power output for extended periods of time. Where this becomes an issue for folding is that it is VERY efficient at using your computers resources, so will heat up your CPU higher than a lot of other pieces of software that are running at '100%'.
k1wi

Postby k1wi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:51 am

As has been pointed out to me, there is no uni-proc client for Macs, so that first option is not really a goer.
k1wi

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:59 am

k1wi wrote:As has been pointed out to me, there is no uni-proc client for Macs, so that first option is not really a goer.

I'm no Mac pro, (ha!) but it seems to me that Mac users can install the SMP client and leave off the -smp flag in the instructions. I know that at least for Windows and Linux clients, the SMP client turns into uniprocessor if the -smp flag is removed, and I see no reason why that shouldn't occur for Macs. So I'd try that and see how it goes for you. So if you already have it installed you can just take off the flag and it will become a uniprocessor when the next WU is downloaded I believe. It might be safer to add the -oneunit flag, finish the WU, and then remove the -smp flag before starting up the client again.

They are working on the new v7 client that should unify all the clients together make everything an easy choice from one program. It supports Windows, Linux, and OS-X but its still pretty beta, but they are working hard on it. Just so you know.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby PantherX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:02 am

Jesse_V wrote:
k1wi wrote:As has been pointed out to me, there is no uni-proc client for Macs, so that first option is not really a goer.

I'm no Mac pro, (ha!) but it seems to me that Mac users can install the SMP client and leave off the -smp flag in the instructions. I know that at least for Windows and Linux clients, the SMP client turns into uniprocessor if the -smp flag is removed, and I see no reason why that shouldn't occur for Macs. So I'd try that and see how it goes for you. So if you already have it installed you can just take off the flag and it will become a uniprocessor when the next WU is downloaded I believe...
I understand your point but the reason that it works for Windows and Linux* is because we have UNI WUs available and the Servers are configured to give it out to those OS. However, for OSX, there is only SMP WUs (normal and bigadv) so leaving out the flag will not do any thing (maybe it will return a message saying that no appropriate work servers are available and it will try later) useful. Furthermore, I haven't come across any plans for UNI WUs for OSX.

* This will work for 32 bit version. If you have a 64 bit version, then you are limited to SMP WUs.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Joe_H » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:14 am

The tools listed here, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52, mention fahlimit as being available for OS X. I have not used it myself, but that might be an option to control CPU utilization and hence temperature rise.

P.S. I seem to recall that since the version 6 client for OS X was only going to be for SMP units, it was set to default to -smp. So leaving it off would not make a difference.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Return to Intel Mac V6 client