Am running fah6 in Lion on MBPro - where does client reside?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Am running fah6 in Lion on MBPro - where does client reside?

Postby RonnyB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:50 am

I downloaded and installed the console client some weeks ago on my new i7 MBPro running Lion and it has been folding fine. Sometimes it seems to be waiting a bit long for a new WU ... but when I look at it again it is chugging away on 8 threads :-)

I posted elsewhere about my concern re the "temperature diode" reporting 88c and the 4 cores reporting 92 or 93c on average. As long as my room temp is not too hot, I think it will be OK.

This post is about something else. I want to edit the client but cannot find where it resides. Using spotlight and looking for "fah" or "fah6" or "folding", etc. comes up with web site hits but nothing on my machine. The console says at the top: "Rons-MacBook-Pro:~ rsnider$ /usr/local/fah/fah6"

So where is fah6 ? And while on the same topic ... why doesn't Finder show my drive C ?? I am sort of used to how Lion/Snow Leopard shows things.

Thanks for any obvious tips :-)
RonnyB

Re: Am running fah6 in Lion on MBPro - where does client res

Postby Joe_H » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 am

The wait you have been seeing is due to a temporary shortage of WU's that the 6.29 version can fold. That has been taken care of, so plenty should be available for a while.

As for the location of the folding application, it is given by the path in your log file. You just can not easily navigate to there using the Finder since the /usr directory is part of the system files and hidden by default. You can get there using the Terminal application. There are directions floating around on how to use folding from the Terminal, using it that way you can run config and modify settings not available through the control panel.

The work, log and settings files are stored in a folder named Folding@home in the Library folder for your account. You can not see it in your home directory by default starting with Lion. Since I am still on Snow Leopard, I have not kept around directions for making the Library folder visible, but they are available on the 'net.

The V7 beta makes some of this easier by putting the Folding app in the Applications folder. The issue with the user account's Library folder still exists under Lion. However the files that were in the above named folder have been moved to Application Support.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby RonnyB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks for the insights. I do like Lion but I want to be able to see "hidden" folders, etc :-)

The only thing I want to check / possibly edit, is to see if I have put my FAH passkey in correctly. Usually I copy and paste it when I am setting up folding on a Windows machine on my home network. But I hadn't networked the macbook pro yet, at that time and I did it by "sight" off the Windows monitor ... typed it into the macbook pro's FAH setup.

I only want to check it because my production did not go down when I had the macbook pro offline for most of a day, and my daily points did not really change ... and that made me wonder if the work it's doing is actually contributing to my personal total (say, due to a digit out somewhere on the passkey) ??
RonnyB

Postby Joe_H » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:34 am

Okay, checking/modifying the config is easy enough. First, stop folding using the control panel. Then start the Terminal application from the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Run folding config by entering:

/usr/local/fah/fah6 -configonly

at the command prompt. You will be prompted for the settings, the current setting for each one is the default. You can enter/paste your passkey in if it is incorrect. You can also check your name and team settings. You can then exit the Terminal app and restart folding. If you did have to change the passkey, then credit may be lost on the current WU. But it should then be okay for the rest and get you the bonuses if you have already done the initial 10 to be eligible for bonus points.

As for the hidden folders, the goal appears to be keeping them and the files within from being accidentally moved, modified or deleted by those not familiar with proper setup. Information is available for more advanced users to access them. Since whatever files I need to get to are available to me through the command line in Terminal, I have not paid as much attention as I might have to keep current on the workarounds needed for the latest OS X versions. I guess that comes from 20+ years experience with command line oriented OS's in the past including various Unix, BSD and Linux variants.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby codysluder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Joe_H wrote:If you did have to change the passkey, then credit may be lost on the current WU. But it should then be okay for the rest and get you the bonuses if you have already done the initial 10 to be eligible for bonus points.

I don't think that's the way it works. You might loose BONUS credit, but every WU you complete will get at least the number of points shown on http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
codysluder

Postby Joe_H » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:41 pm

codysluder wrote:
Joe_H wrote:If you did have to change the passkey, then credit may be lost on the current WU. But it should then be okay for the rest and get you the bonuses if you have already done the initial 10 to be eligible for bonus points.

I don't think that's the way it works. You might loose BONUS credit, but every WU you complete will get at least the number of points shown on http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

What can I say? Posting at 4 AM in the morning, I dropped the word BONUS. :oops:
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby RonnyB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks all,

I did -configonly and found that my passkey looked identical to a known good copy. I pasted it in anyway.

The only other thing I did was change the flag (to "yes") that requests "always" get scientific work units "when available" or something like that.

The client is running and checking for available WU's. I am getting "+ No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit."
RonnyB

Postby Joe_H » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah, the one available work server for WU's that will run on the A3 core usable with the 6.29 client you are using had quite a few units checked out over the last 24 hours. It should start getting them turned back in and generate new WU's. There are more servers with work that can be done on OS X, but they use the A4 core which requires a later version of the client. Since they did not release a version 6 for OS X later than 6.29, that leaves the Version 7 beta. I went to that on the two Mac's I am folding with and have been doing a mix of A3 and A4 WU's.

V7 is fairly stable, and if you decide to go to that, it can be installed without removing the 6.29 install as V7 installs in entirely different directories. Post here if you decide to go that way, I can give you a skeleton config.xml file to enter your info and passkey into so you have it ready before starting up the V7 client. Otherwise the client defaults to starting right away and downloads a WU without using your passkey. You would just get base points on that first unit, even if you did configure after starting.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Return to Intel Mac V6 client