No appropriate work server available

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: No appropriate work server available

Postby Miller855 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:53 am

werty316 wrote:Wait a sec, using v7 for OS X gives the client access to WUs other than P6026-6080? I've been running v6 for a while now so I might just switch to v7 if this is the case.

Yes ! i downloaded v7 dragged it to the applications folder and started folding using a4 cores right away !
Just remember to disable v6 using the sys prefs box, my mac tried to run both of the a3 & a4 cores at once, nothing got done !
the 8001 project took 3 hours and gave me 740 points, i did 6 in a row my first day !!!
and this iMac is a Core 2 duo (C2D) 2.93 ghz, newer machines will be faster & get more points !
iMac 2.93 Ghz, C2D 4Gb DDR3 Ram, OSX 10.6.3, Built in NVidia GeForce GT 120
iMac 2.0 Ghz, C2D 2Gb DDR2 Ram, OSX 10.6.3, Built in ATI Raedon HD 2400
120 Gig PS3, 80 Gig PS3
Miller855

Postby werty316 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Right on. I'll disable the Pref Pane and switch over to v7 once the current WU has completed.
Thanks for your replies guys.

EDIT: It looks like the commands to copy and paste text in v7 is backwards in OSX. It should CMD+C/CMD+V but its CTRL+C/CTRL+V instead.
Also the option "Start minimized" does work.
werty316

Postby blacckbox » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I noticed an awfully quiet Mac Pro a couple of days ago. Today I popped over here to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Sure enough.... The v7 client is being installed now and I'll update this thread with progress.
blacckbox

Postby blacckbox » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 pm

The v7 client fired right up and the machine is folding in SMP as it should. However, the graphics card does not seem to be recognized. Is there GPU folding on Macs?
blacckbox

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:44 pm

There's no GPU support in OSX/Linux yet, and it's not being worked on at the moment.
Zagen30

Postby blacckbox » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Damn. It feels like this newly installed ATI 5770 is going to waste.
blacckbox

Postby Joe_H » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:45 am

I did come across a post a while back that they were considering doing OS X and Linux cores for GPU folding. But there is no word on a timeframe for that to show up. They are putting almost all of their current development effort into completing the V7 client so it is released as the default client for download. At least if they do come out with GPU cores for OS X the client will be ready to handle them.

P.S. My son would love to see what the 5870 in his Mac Pro would do folding. He might boot it into Windows at some point just to see. He keeps it set up to boot Windows w/ Boot Camp since he has some Windows only games he likes to play.
Last edited by Joe_H on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby codysluder » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Joe_H wrote:P.S. My son would love to see what the 5870 in his Mac Pro would do folding. He might boot it into Windows at some point just to see. He keeps it set up to boot Windows w/ Boot Camp since he has some Windows only games he likes to play.

I don't have a Mac so I have been hesitant to recommend Boot Camp to a friend who does. Her GPU is much less powerful so it probably doesn't matter much, but I'd be interested in your son's experiences when he gets it running: ease of installation, potential problems, cost, etc.
codysluder

Postby Joe_H » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:25 pm

My son did not have much trouble setting up his Mac Pro w. Boot Camp to boot into Windows. Originally he loaded WinXP, and later upgraded to Win7. About the only expense would be for a licensed copy of Windows, in his case we can get it for free as a download from the university where he goes and I work through the MSDNAA program. Basically once booted up into Windows the Mac is just another PC platform. The Boot Camp setup puts in code so the EFI takes the place of a BIOS, takes care of creating a Windows partition on the hard drive, and Apple provides drivers for the Apple specific hardware such as keyboards, etc. to work in Windows.

The issues I can think of fall into a few areas. You do need to make some arrangements for file transfer if files will need to be able to be both read and writable from both OS's. By default when booted into Windows the OS X partition is not accessible by Windows at all. There are software solutions, but of course that means additional expense or work. While booted into OS X, FAT partitions can be both read and written to, while NTFS is read-only at least up to Boot Camp 3. Again, software exists to allow writing to NTFS. Older versions of Boot Camp do give the option of creating the Windows boot partition in a Fat32 format of up to 32 GB.

Required versions of Windows start with WinXP SP2 in older versions of Boot Camp. With Boot Camp 4 that comes with OS X Lion (10.7), the minimum version to install is Win7. It does allow migration of an older install of XP or Vista if already present if an upgrade is made to Lion from an older OS. We have not looked at version 4 yet as we are still running 10.6.8, so it may have some features to handle issues I mentioned for older versions.

Viruses, this is Windows and an AV product is necessary. If the OS X side is non-writable from Windows, then it can not be effected while booted into Windows. But if one of the means is used to make it writable is used, then of course that avenue does need AV protection as well.

Hardware - there is some specific Apple hardware such as a RAID card for Mac Pros that is not supported for use with Boot Camp. For most people that should not be an issue.

Performance - When booted into Windows the Mac should give about the same performance as the equivalent hardware on any other PC. That is the main reason to use this option. If maximum hardware performance - especially video - is not needed, many persons prefer running Windows or other OS's such as Linux under virtualization as offered by software such as Fusion or Parallels. You do lose some speed, but can switch back and forth from using OS X and Windows apps without rebooting. You do lose about 10% CPU and quite a bit on the virtualized video driver, and the software adds another cost. Though it often can be found on sale. Crossover or other products based on Wine can also be used to run some apps without needing a full Windows OS install.

Anyways, my son has not yet installed the Windows version of Folding. So I can't comment on how well that runs yet. PM me if you have other questions and I will try to answer.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Intel Mac V6 client