Machine ID Bug? FAH iMac 27" i7 ATI Radeon HD4850

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Machine ID Bug? FAH iMac 27" i7 ATI Radeon HD4850

Postby codysluder » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 am

Jesse_V wrote:I've been thinking about pushing for a website revamp after the v7 client comes out.

I'm sure that must be on the Pande Group's mind as they come down to what will probably be called "Beta, Phase 2" when the client is considered clean enough to recomend to newbies.
codysluder

Postby MrCyberdude » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 am

The client preferences still has a bug as far as Im concerned as I entered -advmethods -smp 4 -verbosity 9 and machine id5 and then started the client and the config commands were updated into the config.cfg file but the Machine ID did not change. Can someone else please confirm this for an official submission ?

Jesse_V wrote:I've been thinking about pushing for a website revamp after the v7 client comes out.

That would be I great idea as I have not been to the site in years and only because I was after Mac info and I really could not believe how outdated it was. It reflects badly on Stanford University.

All any version needs to do for the majority of users is have the following IMO.
Name, Team and Passkey option
Go button.
Pause button. (maybe with a duration option)
Stop button.
Slider for max CPU usage.
Slider for max GPU usage.
Log file button
a link for stats and forum

and if you want users to have a go at fixing issues like -advmethods -smp 4 -verbosity 9 the have a tab where all of that can be selected via tick boxes with balloon info.
MrCyberdude

Postby codysluder » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:40 am

MrCyberdude wrote:The client preferences still has a bug as far as Im concerned as I entered -advmethods -smp 4 -verbosity 9 and machine id5 and then started the client and the config commands were updated into the config.cfg file but the Machine ID did not change. Can someone else please confirm this for an official submission ?

Version 6 is not being updated so if you're trying to report a bug, nobody will respond to your request.

You have to use parameters that are supported. There's no such thing as "id5" If you're running four other clients and wish to change the Machine ID, it can be done by restarting the client with the -configonly flag and when it asks you for advanced settings, say Yes.
codysluder

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 am

MrCyberdude wrote:

That would be I great idea as I have not been to the site in years and only because I was after Mac info and I really could not believe how outdated it was. It reflects badly on Stanford University.

All any version needs to do for the majority of users is have the following IMO.
Name, Team and Passkey option
Go button.
Pause button. (maybe with a duration option)
Stop button.
Slider for max CPU usage.
Slider for max GPU usage.
Log file button
a link for stats and forum

and if you want users to have a go at fixing issues like -advmethods -smp 4 -verbosity 9 the have a tab where all of that can be selected via tick boxes with balloon info.

All of what you described has already been implemented in v7, which is one of the reasons why its a beautiful piece of software and just what F@h needed. From the Windows v7 Guide, you can see all the pretty pictures for yourself: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide
The problem with tick boxes is that people will find it, check them all because they're curious, and cause unwanted behavior. Thus, they are write-in. There's a partial list of all flags that work for v7, and I'm sure as time goes on it will be completed and organized.
I'll bookmark this thread for some of the ideas, but it would be even better if you posted on the thread I linked, since that way things are more organized and more importantly on topic. There are things on the website that are word-for-word with the websites for Genome@home, which was another DC project from the PG that was completed in 2005. But we'll see how things go there. I don't want to look like I'm advertising or anything, but if you do want more information you're welcome to check out the F@h article on Wikipedia. I've put a lot of time trying to improve its quality and depth, and though I'm not done yet it should be helpful to anyone who wants to learn more about what F@h is and what it does.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby MrCyberdude » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:33 am

codysluder wrote:
MrCyberdude wrote:The client preferences still has a bug as far as Im concerned as I entered -advmethods -smp 4 -verbosity 9 and machine id5 and then started the client and the config commands were updated into the config.cfg file but the Machine ID did not change. Can someone else please confirm this for an official submission ?

Version 6 is not being updated so if you're trying to report a bug, nobody will respond to your request.

You have to use parameters that are supported. There's no such thing as "id5" If you're running four other clients and wish to change the Machine ID, it can be done by restarting the client with the -configonly flag and when it asks you for advanced settings, say Yes.

when i typed "machine id5" in my post I was verbalising typing "5" in the apple imac "system preferences" , "folding@home" , "advanced" tab. and after selecting "Disable Folding@Home" button then editing and then restarting as told to try in an earlier post. So I did and the result was the same. The setting did not edit the config.cfg file with the maching id change but the other commands like -smp 4 did work.
I should clarify that machine_id=5 did but machineid=4 without the underline did not. (maybe I am currently running 4-5 pieces of hardware with clients installed.) I have never worried before about machine ID's its just because I have had issues with OSX so I started looking at any abnormal things I could see.

Now I would like to clarify that I am not trying to report a bug... but that was a result of all of my efforts to get any WU for the ONLY semi-GUI mac client that is on the Folding download page.

codysluder wrote:advmethods has nothing to do with which client you're using. ......... It should NOT be part of the installation instructions for a person's first install, which is what the web page should represent.

Well it was the only was to get any WU started. So if the client on the download site for OSX is useless then remove it.
or include some basic commands to get it working. At the moment the only solution I know of as I do not profess to be any sort of expert when it comes to folding is to add -advmethods .

I was programming @home in 1979 on a TI 99/4 so I have some years of experience above the average user out there and I can safely say I am happy in a dos prompt with syntax commands. So if I am wasting my time (A finite resource) trying to get the OSX client going imagine how many others just give up. Just to get here I had to search for the OSX client choose which one, download it, install it, Check to see it wasn't working, read many posts that were outdated and not specific to OSX, then finally register to the forum, log into my email, click the link, re-log into the forum and start a thread, read replies, try some ideas........ You get the idea. Now most people just say #u¢k it!! it's too had.

What else do you suggest to all new to OSX client users to do instead of telling me thats not the answer ? otherwise update the web site and or client.
MrCyberdude

Previous

Return to Intel Mac V6 client