OSX V6 Issues

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: OSX V6 Issues

Postby Ravage7779 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 am

-smp is ignored, the client itself is smp only as there is no unicore client for mac with v6. If i had a 4 core mac, -smp 3 would force it to fold with 3 cores, restricting the number of cores is the only use of the -smp flag with v6 on a mac.

If you do not run the -advmethods flag, there is no work to be had, you just get "+ No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit." endlessly. Even with -advmethods set, there are times where you can't get work. It's the only reason i put up with v7.

If you are running 10.6, v7 is the better way to go. Bruce seems pretty happy with it, seems stable. If a user is running 10.4 or 10.5, v7 will not run at all. If a user is running 10.7, v7 is too broken to recommend because of the gtk issues. FAHControl crashes all the time, have to click the main window to get the config or prefs windows to show up, can't select options without serious tinkering/scrolling with arrow keys/multiple clicking, windows don't go away after clicking save or cancel, can't resize the window, etc. Once set up tho, and you don't have to tinker with settings, or open other windows, its ok. v7 will run from the command line without issue on 10.6 or 10.7 if you extract the executables from the installer and dump them all into the same folder.

Pretty much the sad state of mac folding right now in a nutshell. The old client struggles to get work, the new client, if you can even run it, is a pile because of gtk, and may not be able to be fixed at all.

See where I get a little testy?
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby 7im » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:52 am

Yep. I'm a little tweaked about the state of the linux installers as well, with all this talk of a wider release.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Dolabill » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 pm

well, I'll try -smp and -advmethods

It was running with just -smp and I haven't seen any results... but i'll check the log

Also another noob mac question... Do I need to buy a whole new os to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6?? I don't understand mac osx at all... I think mines called snow leopard or something lmao
Dolabill

Postby Joe_H » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 am

You definitely need the -advmethods parameter, almost all of the available work for OS X and the V6 folding client requires it to be selected.

As for your question about upgrading, Apple charges for the major point upgrades such as from 10.4 to 10.5 or 10.6. Updates to those are not charged for. Which version of the OS are you running? You mentioned that you thought you were on 10.5, that is called Leopard. 10.4 was Tiger and 10.6 is Snow Leopard. "About This Mac" will tell you which version number. The 10.6 Snow Leopard software costs $29 and will upgrade from 10.4 or 10.5.

As for work, there are over a thousand WU's available on the server for OS X and the V6 client. If you don't get work after adding the -advmethods flag, post the beginning of your log file in between 'code" tags from the full posting editor.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Dolabill » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks a ton! I'll try this right away!
Dolabill

Previous

Return to Intel Mac V6 client