New user - stumped. Please help.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

New user - stumped. Please help.

Postby Penfold » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm not sure I really know what's going on at present - if anything.

I have downloaded the v6 client labelled: > Folding@home-OSX10.5-6.29.3.pkg.zip > Mac OS X 10.5+ Intel 32/64-bit SMP Installer

on the grounds that my iMac is an Intel iMac, and its operating system is 10.6.8, and I interpreted the '10.5+' to mean OS 10.5 and above.

What I have is a pane in System Preferences called 'Folding@home'. Other than entering a User Name, a zero for Team number under the Preferences tab and clicking on the Start button at the bottom of the window, what else do I need to do?

Is there something else I should see on my machine?

Am I right in thinking that I now have the software but need some data for it to process?

I don't know how to go further with this. I remember something like this happening a few years ago, and I gave up.

My machine is on 24 hours per day - I never switch it off unless I'm away on holiday.

Ubuntu 16.04.1
F@H v 7.4.4
Penfold

Re: New user - stumped. Please help.

Postby Ravage7779 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:12 am

Sent you a PM. :mrgreen:
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby Joe_H » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 am

Add -advmethods to the extra parameters line under the Advanced tab of the Control Panel in System Preferences. Then restart folding from the control panel.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Ravage7779 wrote:Sent you a PM. :mrgreen:

Thanks very much for your reply. I have that page bookmarked now. To be honest, I'm going to wait until I have the courage to do all that. I rate my self as a fairly competent amateur (interpret generously) with my machine, but I've never delved into anything in the Utilities folder without having definite and limited instructions before - real smalltime stuff.

I will say that not a lot of what I've read to do with getting this stuff to work means anything to me at all. I do, however, understand in principle what folding of proteins is about and that it is a major and vital area of research. I'm determined to get on board this time around.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Joe_H wrote:Add -advmethods to the extra parameters line under the Advanced tab of the Control Panel in System Preferences. Then restart folding from the control panel.

Many thanks for your reply
I haven't yet followed Ravage's advice and deleted anything.
Can you bear with me and provide some step by step answers about what goes in the various bits of the Control Panel? Just in case you can, here are the questions:

1. Under 'Preferences',
(a) Is it too late to change my user name? I already put one in, but want to change it to Penfold, if possible.
(b) What do I put in Team number? I'll join this team, TeamMacOSX.
(c) Passkey? No idea at all about what that means. Do I need to enter something?

2. Under 'Advanced'. OK, I'll put -advmethods in extra parameters, but,
(a) Core network address - leave blank? I don't even know what that means.
(b) There is the numeral 1 in the Machine ID box. OK?

3. After I eventually click on the 'Start Folding@home' button, should I actually see something happening somewhere?

4. I stumbled on the folder 'Folding@home' in ~/Library. Do I need to do anything with any of its contents?

At present I'm only aware of the Control Panel in Sys Prefs and that folder in ~/Library. Is there anything else I should know about on my machine?

That's an awful lot of questions. You can appreciate how unsure I am with setting this up, eh?
Penfold

Postby Ripper36 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:59 pm

1 - a - you can change your username, you will just lose your history as previous name
- b - team Mac OSX is team 13 - enter that number
- c - if you're going to be folding seriously, it is a good idea to get a passkey which is a security ID - apply for a passkey by following the link in http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey
2 - you don't need to nchange the default options or add anything else for the simplest of setups - only persist with this if you want remote monitoring, password security and more ...
Ripper36

Postby bollix47 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 pm

team Mac OSX is team 13 - enter that number

That's their rank.

Team # is 1971.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... ?s=&t=1971
bollix47

Postby Joe_H » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Correction on the 1a answer, any work done on a previous name is not lost. However it will not be merged with the new username.

2 - the advmethods parameter is currently needed to get the available WU's that can be run on OS X with the V6 F@H client.
As mentioned the other items you asked about - 2a & 2b - can usually be left alone. You might change the machine ID if you needed to keep from getting a problem WU reassigned, that is rare.

3. This version of the client is bare bones. Nothing gets displayed, other than seeing the CPU usage max out in Activity Monitor or opening up the log file and seeing progress, you will not get an indication of what is being folded. This leads to 4-

4. The folder in ~/Library is where F@H keeps its configuration file, work files, log files, and the processing cores. Other than opening the log files in TextEdit to check for progress or errors, you normally don't need to do anything with the contents. You might have to delete some files if you get that rare problem WU that won't go away and let you get another. Post for directions if you run into that. You also would access the log file to post some or all of it here to get help with a problem.

As for the passkey and getting the Quick Return Bonus, QRB, there are some qualifications. To get the bonus points you first need to complete 10 qualifying WU's within the preferred deadlines. You also need to maintain an 80% completion rate on the WU's assigned. WU's completed before the final deadline , but after the preferred deadline, get just the base points awarded. The qualification is also tied to the username and passkey combination, change either and you need to re-qualify by successfully completing another 10 WU's.

There is a public beta currently in progress for the V7 client. There are issues with using it with OS X, so it is not recommended for all folders. Currently its control GUI does not work properly in OS X Lion - 10.7. It can be run from a terminal window, only can recommend that for an advanced user. The V7 client also is not available for OS X 10.4 or 10.5 yet. Under 10.6 it works okay with some minor issues. The V7 client does have access to more folding projects than V6, that is its main appeal for users under OS X.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Ripper36 wrote:1 - a - you can change your username, you will just lose your history as previous name
- b - team Mac OSX is team 13 - enter that number
- c - if you're going to be folding seriously, it is a good idea to get a passkey which is a security ID - apply for a passkey by following the link in http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey
2 - you don't need to nchange the default options or add anything else for the simplest of setups - only persist with this if you want remote monitoring, password security and more ...

Thanks for your reply, Ripper.

Username duly changed.
I don't know what constitutes 'folding seriously' at present, so I'll pass on the Passkey for now. :wink:
Last edited by Penfold on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 pm

bollix47 wrote:
team Mac OSX is team 13 - enter that number

That's their rank.

Team # is 1971.

Thanks, bollix.
1971 duly entered.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for all of that, Joe.

Joe_H wrote:3. This version of the client is bare bones. Nothing gets displayed, other than seeing the CPU usage max out in Activity Monitor or opening up the log file and seeing progress, you will not get an indication of what is being folded.

Well, something's certainly happening now! In Activity Monitor, the reading under the CPU tab has varied from 186% to 197% when I've had a look. I guess the -advmethods really needed to be there. :e)
Joe_H wrote:As for the passkey and getting the Quick Return Bonus, QRB, there are some qualifications. To get the bonus points you first need to complete 10 qualifying WU's within the preferred deadlines. You also need to maintain an 80% completion rate on the WU's assigned. WU's completed before the final deadline , but after the preferred deadline, get just the base points awarded. The qualification is also tied to the username and passkey combination, change either and you need to re-qualify by successfully completing another 10 WU's.

I guess I'll postpone any striving for points for a while. I'm not sure my contribution will be significant in terms of volume of work done, nor value added to Team MacOSX. I'll see how it goes, while being receptive to any suggestions/comments.
I'll also wait until the V7 client is fully operational and then see if anyone suggest it might be worth switching. My machine has OS 10.6.8.
Last edited by Penfold on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:14 pm

In summary, thanks to all of you for your time and information.

One further question: How come 197% etc. for CPU usage? Anything to do with 'Intel Core 2 Duo' - the processor name of my iMac as found in System Profiler.
Penfold

Postby Nathan_P » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes, OS/X and *nix use a scale of 100% per cpu core for measurign cpu usage, if you have a dual core its 200%, a quad core 400% etc
Nathan_P

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Nathan_P wrote:Yes, OS/X and *nix use a scale of 100% per cpu core for measurign cpu usage, if you have a dual core its 200%, a quad core 400% etc

Hey! I got something right! :lol:
Thanks, Nathan.

While you're around could I ask you how to subscribe to a topic please. I must be half blind - I can't see any box or whatever to check.
Penfold

Postby Joe_H » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Penfold wrote:In summary, thanks to all of you for your time and information.

One further question: How come 197% etc. for CPU usage? Anything to do with 'Intel Core 2 Duo' - the processor name of my iMac as found in System Profiler.

Yes, that is because the Core 2 Duo has two processing cores. The programmers for the usage monitor has it show 0-100% for each processing core. The choice under Windows was to show 100% as the max for the aggregate of however many cores are present. CPU's with hyper-threading will be shown as if there is a core for each thread. So my i7 iMac will show at up to 800%.

As for how many points the QRB is worth, with a passkey I am getting 2000-2500 PPD from my 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook when left running all day. Without the passkey the base points would be in the 450-500 range. Just putting that out for comparison, choice of using a passkey is up to you.

On the point of contributing, all work done helps. F@H has a range of projects that all have WU's suitable for everything from older Pentium based PC's to multi-CPU server level machines. Yours falls somewhere in the middle. I still get work for my older PPC Mac with the V5 client, and they listed PPC Mac's as getting no further development of folding clients as of over two years ago.

P.S. -
While you're around could I ask you how to subscribe to a topic please.

At the bottom of the page there are options displayed to subscribe to the forum, or to a specific topic depending on which you are looking at. Also listed as an option when using the full editor while posting is a selection for "Notify me when a reply is posted".
Joe_H
Site Admin

Next

Return to Intel Mac V6 client