How can I log precise WU progress?

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

How can I log precise WU progress?

Postby jonpavelich » Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 pm

I am running folding@home on my PS3 and Mac. On the PS3, it shows the WU percent completed with two decimal places (ex. 15.63%). I have a script monitoring FAHlog.txt and updating the current progress on my desktop with tail, but F@H only logs every 1%. This means it infrequently updates every 1%, rather that a smooth, continuous progress like the PS3 (ex. 15.63% on the PS3, 15% on the Mac). Is there any way to enable more precise progress logging, so it logs every 0.01%?
jonpavelich

Re: How can I log precise WU progress?

Postby Joe_H » Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 am

As far as I know, the the answer is no. The logging depends on what the fahcore reports to the client, the only time I have seen decimal percentages reported is when restarting a WU that was paused. Then the client reports the exact amount to two decimal places when work is resumed from the checkpoint.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 am

The V7 client interpolates within frames. The log (from the FahCore) still shows whole percentages.
bruce

Postby Jesse_V » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 am

Welcome to the Folding@home support forum jonpavelich!

Bruce, how can the V7 client interpolate if it's starting from the beginning? It seems to me that it's difficult to accurately interpolate where 0.01% was if the WU is just starting at 0%. How can the V7 client know when 1% will be completed? I've read that GROMACS (what the core is using I presume) can report its progress, and if that's the case then jonpavelich you should be able to access that information as well. No idea how though...
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Ravage7779 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:58 am

Why do you need that level of granularity? If you are polling for changes every second or something, you are wasting cpu cycles. Folding is boring, tedious, and takes hours, if not days to complete a wu. I never check the client, just check one of the stats sites once per day. If the points slow down or stop altogether, then I go check the clients... The SMP core on your mac is probably one of the most stable piece of software you have. FAHControl is probably the least stable, but won't bring down the cores when it crashes at least. Once set up and running, you almost never have to use it again anyways. Also If you leave FAHControl open, it sucks up 4-10% of your cpu, and floods your system.log with an endless stream of error messages.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby jonpavelich » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Not constantly updating the percentage makes sense, so I'll leave it. I was just wondering because my ps3 does report a constant percentage (to 2 decimal places), which means its obviously possible, just not practical.
jonpavelich

Return to Intel Mac V6 client