New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Postby Xilikon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm proud to announce that we now have a new section on the official Stanford F@H site. Vijay Pande asked me if I can write those guides to help users install and configure the clients (especially the SMP clients) and I accepted. I believe this will fill the void on the official site where nobody cannot find a good guide, relying only on scattered infos, official or not.

The Guides main page can be found at http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... lish/Guide and a direct link button will be available shortly. You can find guides for the Windows SMP and GPU clients, Linux unified client, Macintosh clients (only missing the Macintosh classic client setup) and PS3 client.

Since I don't own or use a Mac computer, I cannot write guides or validate so your help would be very appreciated. I'm taking this opportunity to ask if someone is willing to work on a Mac uniprocessor client guide, with pictures in PNG format if possible so we can complete the guides. I would also need some validation on the Mac SMP installation since it's copied from a existing FAQ.

Before we can add the button on the top for the whole public to access them freely, I'm asking everyone who use those guides to provide some feedback either in this thread or via PM. The feedback will help me tweak them so it's very easy to understand for a broad range of users.

Regards,
Stephane Renaud
Last edited by 7im on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit title to match the other Guide posts...
Xilikon

Re: New official installation/configuration guides

Postby bollix47 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:47 pm

A couple of things that may be worth mentioning for the Linux SMP:

1 - It only runs on 64-bit.

2 - You need to install the ia32-libs package prior to the configure step.

e.g. for Debian based distros:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
bollix47

Postby Xilikon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:58 pm

bollix47 wrote:A couple of things that may be worth mentioning for the Linux SMP:

1 - It only runs on 64-bit.

2 - You need to install the ia32-libs package prior to the configure step.

e.g. for Debian based distros:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Yeah, I was in the process to add this in the requirements section this afternoon :)

what about the Redhat method ?
Xilikon

Re: New official installation/configuration guides-OSX

Postby Aardvark » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:34 pm

What you are doing will be very appreciated by new Folders. I believe that quite a few that are already Folding will benefit also. Mac Users are notorious for “not reading the Manual”. :D

COMMENTS REGARDING OSX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

INSTALLER
Use an icon for a currently available OSX Client .zip file. Using one as old as the example could be confusing to a newcomer.
In item #4 use the current icon that is used by Client 6.20 for it’s Preference Pane. It is used as the main graphic on the FAH Downloads page. No need to create possible confusion.

CONSOLE
In several locations on this page there is an entry calling for FAH6.00beta1-OSX-Intel-Console.tgz. It would be better to refer to a currently available file as an example.
What is past is prologue!
Aardvark

Postby Ivoshiee » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm

MAC OS X console client install guides can be largely the same as Linux ones.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Postby Aardvark » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:43 pm

More thoughts about the Mac Guides.

On the opening page of your Guides proposal the following appears:
Guides list

Each page will include the guides for the systray or console clients.
Windows

Uniprocessor (classic) clients
SMP client (MPICH)
SMP client (DEINO)
GPU clients
Linux

SMP clients
Macintosh

SMP clients
Playstation 3

Playstation 3 client

I would suggest not using the "classic" term in association with Macintosh. You could probably use PPC or PowerPC instead and avoid a possible source of confusion. "Classic" is a term that Apple assigned to the last Version of System 9. It is still installed on some Macs and is used to run those legacy apps (or games) that never got reissued in OS X and for which the User has loving memories. :lol:
I doubt whether there was ever a FAH Client written for Mac Classic and so the PPC reference might be preferred.
Aardvark

Postby Xilikon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Point taken, I'll edit this :)
Xilikon

Postby John Naylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:19 pm

You've edited it so it now says uniprocessor clients for Intel/PPC on the guides page... there is no native Mac/Intel uniprocessor client even if the PPC client can run through emulation (although I wish there was... and no I am not a Mac owner). Also I know that while the actual guide is blank atm the title of the Mac/PPC guide still says "classic" and so is still open to misinterpretation. :wink:
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby Xilikon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am

John Naylor wrote:You've edited it so it now says uniprocessor clients for Intel/PPC on the guides page... there is no native Mac/Intel uniprocessor client even if the PPC client can run through emulation (although I wish there was... and no I am not a Mac owner). Also I know that while the actual guide is blank atm the title of the Mac/PPC guide still says "classic" and so is still open to misinterpretation. :wink:

Ok, forgot that place :p I'll fix that tomorrow.
Xilikon

Postby Aardvark » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Something has been troubling me about the MacSMPGuide and I wanted to raise the issue before you run off to Press with this project.

Near the end of the MacSMPGuide, a list of commands that are to be entered into Terminal are offered. Here is a sample:

Note: All those listed commands MUST be typed/pasted from this little HOWTO to the terminal (window) of your machine.
Example (OSX):
Welcome to Darwin!
box:~ user% mkdir ~/Library/FAH
box:~ user% cd ~/Library/FAH
box:~/Library/FAH user% curl -O
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... onsole.tgz

My question is "How is the expression" box: " intended to be used"? Does the User literally enter " Box: "? Does Terminal translate this automatically for it's own use or is the user expected to substitute some expression for " box:" ? This whole matter is confusing to me and I'm sure it would be to a Newbie.

Any thoughts???? Should this be cleaned up or do I just not understand something that is going on here?
Aardvark

Postby jackrabbit » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:01 pm

When Terminal starts up, the user will see
box:~ user%
The italic parts are substituted for machine-specific details. One would hope that that is enough of a cue to figure out what to do. If it doesn't look like that when Terminal starts, the user already knows what to do because he changed his CLI environment.

On the other hand, IMHO the proposed action (download a file to a folder after creating that folder) is so trivially accomplished without resorting to the CLI that just describing what to do in the Finder and Safari is more suitable for a Mac-oriented guide.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
jackrabbit

Postby Aardvark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 pm

jackrabbit,
I guess that I just have to fundamentally disagree with you. I believe that the "mission" we are on is to revise the Guides so that they will be friendly and non-confusing to the new user that is starting with F@H.
However, presently the MacSMPGuide states in the Example section
Note: All those listed commands MUST be typed/pasted from this little HOWTO to the terminal (window) of your machine.

To me, as a potential newbie, that would mean I am being instructed to do a cut and paste of what is exactly in the Example. You may know that a substitution is obviously intended. The newbie won't and he/she just might proceed to paste the following into their Terminal window

box:~ user% mkdir ~/Library/FAH
box:~ user% cd ~/Library/FAH

I haven't tried it, but I am sure that what will result for the newbie is FRUSTRATION. They may find their way to this Forum and then they may get some help (That depends on who's hanging around). I believe what we are trying to achieve and what Vijay Pande is hoping for is the next generation of Documentation that will be ready to roll when the Clients that are in development truly reach GOLD status.

I would hope that you can accept that there are some shortcomings in the Guides as they are presently configured.
Aardvark

Postby Xilikon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Thank you for expressing the concerns. I will check the guide and adjust so it would be clear. You are correct that most newbies will often take things litterally when it's not always the time to do so.

You are correct that the guides is no in any way perfect, maybe polished at most. It's with the feedback like yours that we can make them close to perfect (until there is a new client version).

EDIT : I checked the guide and it's pretty clear beside this sentence you pasted here :

For me, it can be grounds for confusion since the lines below is a Example. What about if I rephrase this to :

Note: All those commands listed above MUST be typed/pasted from this little HOWTO to the terminal (window) of your machine. The example below is just a example to show what it looks like.
Xilikon

Postby jackrabbit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Aardvark wrote:I guess that I just have to fundamentally disagree with you. I believe that the "mission" we are on is to revise the Guides so that they will be friendly and non-confusing to the new user that is starting with F@H.
Maybe you could try reading the second half of my post. IMHO, Terminal is fundamentally the wrong tool to use if all you want to do is create some folders and download a file. Keep the user away from Terminal as long as possible and only go there to do the final step: actually running the client. You could completely avoid Terminal by explaining how to create a .command file with TextEdit, but that would make the -configonly step more difficult.

While we're nitpicking: the curl command should appear on a single line. No matter how wide I make the window, it won't fit due to the awesomeness that is a fixed-width page layout. What do you think the user is going to do when he sees a command split over two lines? Hit enter of course! Maybe you could add a \ in there...

PS: apologies for the strong tone - I'm a bit tired.
jackrabbit

Postby Aardvark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 pm

jackrabbits’ comments have raised some further questions in my mind. Perhaps these have been answered in the past history of the F@H project. I haven't seen them discussed as I have roamed around the site FAQs and recent Forum discussions.

My first question would be "Just who is the base user that we should be targeting these Guides at?" Perhaps that target group cannot and never will include the absolute greenhorn computer user. As I think about it, we probably should not be "encouraging" a user to operate a CLI Client without first having "done some learning" about the Terminal program and some basic UNIX/Darwin (you name it) language usage. I would think it reasonable that this could be clearly stated in the Guide and that some docs and/or linkages could be provided on the F@H site that would give this training. I don't have any to suggest, at the moment, so it is just a thought.

There does seem to be a "vision" that there is a completely trouble free GUI Client out on the horizon that has a minimal of training required and can be given to the greenest of users and they can get into "effective" folding. Even if that is the case, the most effective Client will be one of the CLI Clients, IMHO, and things should be structured to support that.

Any thoughts, or have I wandered astray????
Aardvark

Next

Return to Intel Mac V6 client