New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Postby Aardvark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 pm

I have just noticed that a tab/button has been added to the site home page Menu that takes Users to the "Guides" Page. I take it that our task here is therefore completed. I see things that have been discussed here have not been implemented (references to Classic and Macintosh together). Alea Jacta Est!
What is past is prologue!
Aardvark

Postby Xilikon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Aardvark, there is a limit as to how we can make it truly n00b-friendly. The guides will get you so far but the key to make it easier is actually by making the installation process simpler via a automated installer or a script. Only the PG can do this so we must live with that.

Also, would you consider having a pretty complicated guide or no guide at all ? Don't think everyone is dumb as a doornail ;)
Xilikon

Postby jackrabbit » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:15 pm

Xilikon wrote:Don't think everyone is dumb as a doornail ;)
Speaking with 4+ years of experience in helping Mac users get set up: when it comes to using Terminal, most of them are and the rest don't need the guide.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
jackrabbit

Postby Aardvark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:36 pm

Xilikon,
For some reason, I felt we were somewhat committed to putting an improved Guide in place that might result in an increase in NEW Users. If there are enough Users in place to supply all the Folding that is required for the Science, you are right. If not, improvements might help expand that User base. Sometimes I just don't sync with Project Direction, I guess.
Aardvark

Postby Xilikon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 pm

jackrabbit wrote:
Xilikon wrote:Don't think everyone is dumb as a doornail ;)
Speaking with 4+ years of experience in helping Mac users get set up: when it comes to using Terminal, most of them are and the rest don't need the guide.

Since I don't own a Mac as outlined in the first post, I'm actually unable to write better than this without having at least a idea how things work. If you can come up with a better guide, you are welcome to do this. What you see right now is a existing guide that I found in the FAQ and moved to the Guide section.
Xilikon

Postby Aardvark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 pm

So be it!
Aardvark

Postby dancingcrane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 am

Well, I'm a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to user-configurables, but I ran FAH GUI 5.02 for quite a while before trying 6.2 and watching it constantly crash. I'm back on 5.02 and purring along again. I'm running a Mac iBook 1.07 GHz G4 with 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM, OS 10.4.11.

All I had to do was download the disk image, move the Folding@home.app to my applications folder, double-click the app icon and I was folding, no instructions needed. If a CLI client would be more efficient, however, i'd be glad to do some learning...
dancingcrane

Postby John Naylor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Those crashes were not something that you had done wrong: The 6.20 client seems to react badly to any machine running Mac OS 10.4/Tiger on the PPC chips. (I don't recall anyone running it successfully).
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby Aardvark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:00 pm

John,
Your comment raised a concern with me. When I enter the FAH Downloads Page with my G4 PPC Macintosh, I am presented with the following as one of the suggested Clients for my machine:

Operating system Version # Click to download Installation instructions License info (legal stuff) MD5-sum
Mac OS X 10.4+ Intel/PPC
Universal Installer w/console
(SMP on Intel only) 6.20 5168272f9e8ab6cf96162693f89cc782
Released: 2008-07-31

It is somewhat misleading, I think, that OSXClient6.20 is being suggested to New Users as suitable for a PPC Mac running OSX10.4. I believe that you are correct that there has not been any success running this combination. I assume PandeGroup is working to correct the Client but I have not seen anything that could be called a "Status Report" on the subject.
Aardvark

Postby jackrabbit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Xilikon wrote:Since I don't own a Mac as outlined in the first post, I'm actually unable to write better than this without having at least a idea how things work.
Actually, the guide is pretty good if you know the anatomy of a command and how to operate a CLI. The problem is that most Mac users have never even heard of Terminal before. They simply need even more handholding. Perhaps it's better to just write ...% instead of box:~ user% . Making the commands stand out more by making them bold or something will provide additional cues of what they're supposed to do. Little things like that really make a difference.

Don't give up: from Terminal, it's just a glorified FreeBSD with extreme-newbie users.

PS: maybe someone should do something about this thread-jacking... Still, it's a very unfortunate recommendation
jackrabbit

Postby Jibberish18 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I've tried using the "Console Only" folding application for OSX (Leopard) and it just doesn't make any sense to me and is nothing like what the instructions next to the "Download" button say. Their is no Folding@Home icon that appears in my System Preferences. I can extract a folder named "FAH6.24.1-OSX-Intel-Console" and in that folder I have 2 files. "fah6" and "mpiexec" When I click on "fah6" it open Terminal and from there I enter whatever parameter I need to such as Username, Team #, etc. That I'm familiar with. But then it develops some sort of error where it can't find the mpiexec in the applications folder? This is all pretty confusing. It was never like this before. Help anyone?
Jibberish18

Postby Macaholic » Mon May 25, 2009 1:04 am

Jibberish18 wrote:I've tried using the "Console Only" folding application for OSX (Leopard) and it just doesn't make any sense to me and is nothing like what the instructions next to the "Download" button say. Their is no Folding@Home icon that appears in my System Preferences. I can extract a folder named "FAH6.24.1-OSX-Intel-Console" and in that folder I have 2 files. "fah6" and "mpiexec" When I click on "fah6" it open Terminal and from there I enter whatever parameter I need to such as Username, Team #, etc. That I'm familiar with. But then it develops some sort of error where it can't find the mpiexec in the applications folder? This is all pretty confusing. It was never like this before. Help anyone?

The guide is written for the 6.24.1 Universal installer (first client choice listed). You downloaded the 6.24.1 Console only (second client choice listed). Are you comfortable running the client in Terminal? If not, then delete fah6, mpiexec, and associated files (you can use Spotlight to find FAHlog.txt, work, etc.) Then proceed to download 6.24.1 Universal installer and follow the installation guide verbatim.
Fold! It does a body good!™
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Postby Jibberish18 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am

The guide is written for the 6.24.1 Universal installer (first client choice listed). You downloaded the 6.24.1 Console only (second client choice listed). Are you comfortable running the client in Terminal? If not, then delete fah6, mpiexec, and associated files (you can use Spotlight to find FAHlog.txt, work, etc.) Then proceed to download 6.24.1 Universal installer and follow the installation guide verbatim.

I'm completely comfortable running it in terminal. It reminds me of the way I ran it on Windows. It worked before but I'm not sure what the problem is this time. Ths stupid thing is, when you click on the "Instructions" for the Console Client, you get the same instructions as the NON Console Client. Can someone change that? Very confusing.
Jibberish18

Postby Jibberish18 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 am

Okay so I think I've figured it out. I made a folder titled "Folding@home.app" Inside that folder I placed the mpiexec file. I moved the newly created folder, which is now recognized as an application due to renaming it with a .app at the end, into the Applications folder. I then double clicked the fah6 file and it worked. It's now folding just fine it seems. 100% CPU usage, 4 FahCore_A2.exe files running. Great. Now I have a couple of questions.

1.) I read something that concerned me, should I be concerned?

Reading file work/wudata_03.tpr, VERSION 3.3.99_development_20070618 (single precision)
Note: tpx file_version 48, software version 64

NOTE: The tpr file used for this simulation is in an old format, for less memory usage and possibly more performance create a new tpr file with an up to date version of grompp

2.) If it was this simple to get running, how come proper instructions could not be placed in the download section?

I tried the easier method suggested and while it was very simple, it also bothered me because I couldn't see the process of my work units in % like I'm used to. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Jibberish18

Postby susato » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Jibberish18,

The info on the tpr file format comes from the Gromacs embedded in the core. I get that too and it's annoying, but harmless. Just ignore it.
susato
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Intel Mac V6 client