New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New official Mac installation/configuration guides

Postby Jibberish18 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:45 pm

The SMP client is locked to use Big WUs, whatever setting you choose.

Maybe that's why it used the amount or RAM it did despite what I told it to do?
Jibberish18

Postby John Naylor » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Probably lol ;)
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby Flathead74 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Jibberish18 wrote:...ALSO, I told the client to use only 200 MB's of RAM (Might've been 300 but I'm pretty sure I remember putting in 200 MB of Memory) and it still used up almost 300 MB's of RAM. These are the things I've noticed about the client so far. Otherwise everything else was absolutely shibby. I hope this helps out a little. I spent DAYS folding to figure out if this would work.

Setting RAM size does not affect how much RAM FAH actually uses.
However, this specified value is sent to the server when you request a new work unit.

If you look at the Server Status page you will see a column named "memory".
This column tells you how much memory you must have indicated in order to receive work from that particular server.
Flathead74

Postby stephen123 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:05 pm

The Mac guide is getting a bit outdated. Can someone add information about getting and using a Passkey, and what to do with the 'Advanced' tab?
stephen123

Postby iBozz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 pm

The best settings - and how to set them, some of us are unbelievably scared of Terminal! - for the new quad-core i7 iMacs would be very much appreciated! I use InCrease, but I can't find the way to set some recommendations made on various forums (bigunits, etc).

Thanks.
27” late 2009 iMac running under MacOSX 10.13.6 (17G3025) Hugh Sierra with 2.8GHz Intel quad-core i7 processor; 16GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM
iBozz

Postby Mr. Scary » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:44 am

+1 iBozz-i'm a new mac user and i'd like to make sure i'm putting both of my quad xeon's to work for the most ppd possible.
any new links or how to's to get started would be much appreciated, bigunits, 'bigadv', linux, or whatever.
folding gpu's right now on windows rig's and also using linux so not completely a noob, but a total noob to macs!

tx

M$
Mr. Scary

Postby iBozz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Mr Scary, apologies for not replying sooner. I'd like to say I was waiting for someone with knowledge to advise us (which was true) but instead I've just been rude.

In the absence of any response about the best settings for my 27" i7 iMac I can merely say what I currently have, which is, in the Preference Panel under Advanced > Extra Parameters:

-bigadv -smp 8

I have no idea if that's what it should be, and I've as yet had no definitive advice for using the System Preference method on a 27" i7 iMac under OSX.6.3 on here or the Team OSX forums here http://www.teammacosx.org/index.html, although general advice seems to be what I have done (but opinions differ!). I used InCrease before but have migrated to the Preference panel. Whilst I am not a member of the Team OSX, having my own rugby club team, they are very friendly towards mac users and will help as best they can.

I have recently been receiving a lot of FahCore_a1.exe based units which don't seem to make use of all 8 cores (although there was news that that would be the case for a while) and for around the last 24 hours or so I've had "no other work to do".

There is a post here http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14130 which says that there are some new classic projects, but I have no idea if they are suitable for my machine and, if so, how I would get them.

This is a general observation and not a criticism, but I sometimes find posts on here aimed at those with at least some knowledge of what is going on, whereas I am a total unreconstructed ignoramus who just likes it to get on with Folding!

By all means PM me if you want to discuss matters mac off board.
iBozz

Postby bruce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 pm

iBozz wrote:Mr Scary, apologies for not replying sooner. I'd like to say I was waiting for someone with knowledge to advise us (which was true) but instead I've just been rude.

In the absence of any response about the best settings for my 27" i7 iMac . . .

. . .

This is a general observation and not a criticism, but I sometimes find posts on here aimed at those with at least some knowledge of what is going on, whereas I am a total unreconstructed ignoramus who just likes it to get on with Folding!

Whether it's an observation or a criticism isn't important as long as there's an opportunity to improve, so I'll take that as a constructive criticism and see if we can do better in the future. I know how it feels, though since I'm simultaneously someone who does and who does not have at least some knowledge of what's going on.

I've been around the FAH forums for quite a while and I'm knowledgeable in most aspects of FAH. With respect to the Mac and OS-X, though, I'm a total ignoramus. I've only used an Apple computer a couple times in my life [long before they called it a "Mac" and long, long before OS-X]. (Hint: I had trouble getting used to a one-button mouse :roll: though if I'd ever had one, I would have gotten used to it rather quickly.) Thus it's probably fair that I rarely reply in this forum, though I do try to read it regularly and help when I can. A lot of FAH issues are identical in Windows/Linux/MacOS, and I'm not afraid to help with those issues, but when you guys start using words that only apply to the Mac, I'm immediately out of my element. So you're right. ;) the answers that I see here assume at least some knowledge of OS-X.
bruce

Postby Mr. Scary » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey guys, i didn't get any email notif on your responses, so my apologies as well for the delayed responses.
@ibozz-no prob, and thanks for the offer for offline mac conv. i'm all good to go and up and running :mrgreen:
@bruce-you have been helpful in both OS formats and i do thank you for any future and previous input, suggestions, etc. :D

somewhere in my inbox was a notification about an updated MAC install guide, i'll go back and search and if i can find it, i'll linky it here.

M$
Mr. Scary

Postby iRateGamer! » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I am getting a problem...
Davids-iMac:Folding@home iRateGamer$ tar xzf FAH6.29r1-OSX-Intel-Console.tgz
tar: Unrecognized archive format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
Davids-iMac:Folding@Home iRateGamer$ []
iRateGamer!

Postby 7im » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Ravage7779 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:53 am

Isn't it tar -xzf?
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
Ravage7779

Postby 7im » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:13 am

I've seen it both ways in Linux. Don't know for sure on Mac.

Also, it seems the FAH6.29r1 file has gone away since the guide was last updated. At least I can't find it.

Try the one I linked above, with -xzf... ;)

When someone can test this, I'll make sure the v6 install guide gets updated.
7im

Postby Joe_H » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 am

6.29r1 is still on the Download page as the console client download. It is the one you linked to 7im, it will identify itself as 6.29r1 in the log file. It's been a couple years since I last used it. I usually use the zipped pkg of the SMP 6.29.3 installer as it can be used for both console folding and with the control panel under 10.5. So I don't recall what issues there were, if any, with the directions.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Intel Mac V6 client