How to select a single GPU with 970s SLI

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Machinist125

How to select a single GPU with 970s SLI

Post by Machinist125 »

Hi Everybody. Im new to Folding and I could use a little help.

Im would like to use only GPU #2 when folding
But I cant figure out the values to use when I go into edit a gpu slot.
I have a high end audio card between 2 MSI GTX 970 Golden Editions and the top card is throwing a lot of heat on my audio card.
So if I can just use card #2 I would be good to go for 24/7 Folding
Thanks
Dano

Specs:
i7-4790K @4.6
32g Ram
MSI GTX 970 SLI
860w PSU
bruce

Re: How to select a single GPU with 970s SLI

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, Machinist125.

The installer sets the index values, not FAHClient or FAHControl or WebControl. You can override the settings in those relatively rare cases when the installer gets it wrong, but when you make a change, adding or removing a GPU, the best recommendation is for you to reinstall the software rather than trying to edit the values manually. (In your case, you probably have not added or removed a GPU, but you probably have edited the index values and it's best to start with a fresh installation.)

Also, it should be noted that what the client believes is GPU #2 has about a 50-50 chance of being the GPU that you think is GPU #2. [The FAH code uses a non-proprietary method of choosing which GPU is which, and NOT Microsoft's method.]

Once you have two working slots, PAUSE or FINISH one of them and determine which one gets hot. Then use FINISH on whichever one you choose.

Also note that the FINISH status is not preserved if you restart the client. I recommend you add the parameter pause-on-start with the value true to the slot you wish to suspend using FAHControl. Then later, you can control it easily if you choose.