F&H stuck in download

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: F&H stuck in download

Post by toTOW »

v7.4.16 doesn't solve the stalled downloads issue.

When a stalled download occurs, it's usually impossible to stop the client nicely (with exit function in task bar or service stop feature) ... this is a second bug above the first one ... you need to kill the client (task manager in Windows or kill command in Linux) and then restart it. Other nicer method is to reboot the system which will handle the stop and restart mechanism automatically.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

toTOW wrote:v7.4.16 doesn't solve the stalled downloads issue.
Doesn't solve it completely, but is improved over the 7.4.4 client. As I mentioned 7.4.16 more often will detect the stall and retry the download after 15-30 minutes. When it doesn't, the restart command given does send a kill and restart command that worked almost all of the times I have used it.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

SteveWillis wrote:I really don't know much about windows but in Linux folding starts at boot, not when you log in. So folding starts at the log in prompt even before you log in.
With regard to the Windows client, the Microsoft mindset is that the purpose of a GPU is to display whatever Windows decides to display. They take no official position on the use of a GPU for stream computing.

In accordance with that mindset, a GPU is dedicated to the Windows-User that's logged on. (It cannot be run by a daemon.) Unfortunately this means only the CPU can be used for FAH unless it is "owned" by somebody who is logged on and "owns" the keyboard and mouse.

we're drifting away from the original topic: F&H stuck in download which apparently has been solved.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

Thanks Bruce. The more I learn about how folding works with windows, the happier I am that I'm on Linux.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint