subpar gpu activity

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

octillionZ

subpar gpu activity

Post by octillionZ »

my pc contains the I-5 7400(4 cores+ hyperthreading) and the NVidia ASUS gtx1060 6GiB
I have managed to prioritize f@h to the top of my cpu work list and it is running at a remarkable 100% but my gpu is only on 55% which is (in my opinion) unacceptably low
is the problem a part of your program or have i done something incorrect

although i am quite adpet at computers its my first time usin f@h and would like to contribute more!

with this way i do 65k-71k ppd and if my gpu was maxed i think i would be able to get to mid 90s or even 100

thank you, and kind regards,
octillionZ
bruce

Re: subpar gpu activity

Post by bruce »

The i-5 7400 has 4 cores but does NOT have hyper threading. Maybe you're thinking of the i-7

You did not post FAH's configuration from the first ~100 lines of FAH's log, so I'll have to do some guessing to help you.

Folding on Windows (if that's what you're using) requires the services of 1 CPU thread to move data between main RAM and the GPU';s VRAM, so FAH is not going to be able to get 100% CPU uti8lization.. By default, FAHClient will allocate 3 CPU threads to folding on your CPU. If FAHCore_21 is running at a lower priority than FAHCore_a7/_a4, it will certainly impact GPU performance.

The actual GPU utilization should be in the high 90% range, so you'll probably be able to get more out of the total system with some small changes to your configuration. Nevertheless, the actual utilization will vary slightly depending on which project is assigned plus whatever limitations your GPU may encounter due to power limitations/thermal limitations/etc.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I would zero all CPUs in the CPU slot, and see what the GPU can do. Then add 1 CPU to the CPU slot at a time until the GPU drops below the max it had. Starving the GPU is mostly a bad strategy, as is upping the CPU priority. And yes, we can give better help if we know more about your system, via the first 100 lines of the Log.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the Community driven support forum for F@H octillionZ.

Just an fyi while we wait for additional info (see link in bruce's signature) ... a basic 1060 on Windows should produce at least 300 K PPD ... I'm currently seeing 327 K on mine and it can do around 400 K on linux with a minor overclock ... so what you're seeing on your setup is definitely lower than normal.
octillionZ

Post by octillionZ »

bruce wrote:The i-5 7400 has 4 cores but does NOT have hyper threading. Maybe you're thinking of the i-7

You did not post FAH's configuration from the first ~100 lines of FAH's log, so I'll have to do some guessing to help you.

Folding on Windows (if that's what you're using) requires the services of 1 CPU thread to move data between main RAM and the GPU';s VRAM, so FAH is not going to be able to get 100% CPU uti8lization.. By default, FAHClient will allocate 3 CPU threads to folding on your CPU. If FAHCore_21 is running at a lower priority than FAHCore_a7/_a4, it will certainly impact GPU performance.

The actual GPU utilization should be in the high 90% range, so you'll probably be able to get more out of the total system with some small changes to your configuration. Nevertheless, the actual utilization will vary slightly depending on which project is assigned plus whatever limitations your GPU may encounter due to power limitations/thermal limitations/etc.
1. yeah the 5 was supposed to be a 7 typo. thank you for correcting me
2. my gpu is not being limited by power nor thermals, i made a special overclocking profile which has the fans on 100% all the time just to keep it safe but at the aforementioned 55% utilization it wont go over 66c.

if you have a good stress test that stresses both the gpu and cpu i could see if there is a problem on my end (config/something i haven't noticed) or if it is just the project

thank you, and kind regards,
octillionZ
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

GPU fans running constantly at 100% are going to wear out faster. Personally I just set them to keep GPU temps under 80C. Also just curious as to where you are getting the 55% figure from.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:I would zero all CPUs in the CPU slot, and see what the GPU can do. Then add 1 CPU to the CPU slot at a time until the GPU drops below the max it had. Starving the GPU is mostly a bad strategy, as is upping the CPU priority. And yes, we can give better help if we know more about your system, via the first 100 lines of the Log.
Absolutely. Pause or otherwise suspend ALL FAH CPU processing, leaving the CPU threads all idle except for supporting the GPU. Let the GPU process the FAH assignment for an hour or more and see what happens to your 55% number and what PPD is achieved.

Are you monitoring your GPU with GPU-Z or with one of the popular GPU overclocking utilities?