Having trouble with the desktop client

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Having trouble with the desktop client

Postby seon123 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:54 am

Hi. I installed the client. I had checked the box to start folding, but the program didn't launch. So then I clicked the desktop icon. The program still didn't launch. I then went into the FAH folder in the C drive, and opened it from there, as administrator. Otherwise, it didn't open. I clicked the "Fold" button, and that did nothing. The client has the "Next Attempt" timer, and when it reaches zero, the client sort of freezes. The buttons on the top work, but the "Status", System Info" and "Log" buttons are locked. Checking the CPU and GPU utilisation, and they're both idling, not folding. The web control shows the CPU and GPU both idling.
Under Log, I see that it shows "Error: Failed to read stream". I'm wondering if that's the issue, somehow?
The version that folds in the browser works, but it only uses the CPU, not the GPU.

How do I solve the problem?
seon123

Re: Having trouble with the desktop client

Postby JimboPalmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

will help you give us enough information to give better advice.

Meanwhile if you are using Windows and intsalled any other way than express, uninstall and choose express. Not as Administrator, not so anyone can fold, just the default install.

Either in the Windows Firewall, or some third party firewall/antivirus, you are going to have to allow F@H internet access.

Your Tahiti Pro GPU (HD7950?) should find work when set to full, as it is GCN v1, which is not EOL on F@H so far as I know. (Jan 2012)

Is there a compelling reason, you are limiting yourself to Parkinsons? You may wish to check and see if that is blocking WUs doing other research.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Postby toTOW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

Something is probably wrong with a security software blocking the connections from the client ... disable it (for testing) or add an exception ...
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:24 am

Firewall software blocks downloads unless it recognizes that the download is being requested using a recognized browser. Even though FAHClient downloads using exactly the same protocols as a browser, it's not on the list of "recognized browsers" so you have to update your firewall software by granting an exception that allows FAHClient to download from the FAH sites. Notice that your screenshot says the Work Queue is waiting on a FAHCore Update but that is not happening. (As toTOW has explained above.)
bruce

Return to New Donors start here